Crazy EOY Playoff Scenario

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
This will probably never happen (the Almighty could not allow it), but it is fun to speculate. After the SEC Championship Game you have the following:

1. UGA is SEC Champs but lost one game -- to AU.
2. UA is SEC West Champs, losing one game -- to UGA.
3. AU is runner-up to UA, having lost one game -- to UA.

All have won the rest of their games easily, meaning that the SEC has established itself as the dominant football D-1 conference.

Who gets in the playoffs? UGA -- yes as SEC Champs. UA -- 1 loss and ranked #1 all of the year? AU -- ranked in the top 5 even after losing to UA? Precedent would include AU...cannot fathom 3 SEC teams getting in....

Thoughts???

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This will probably never happen (the Almighty could not allow it), but it is fun to speculate. After the SEC Championship Game you have the following:

All have won the rest of their games easily, meaning that the SEC has established itself as the dominant football D-1 conference.

Who gets in the playoffs? UGA -- yes as SEC Champs. UA -- 1 loss and ranked #1 all of the year? AU -- ranked in the top 5 even after losing to UA? Precedent would include AU...cannot fathom 3 SEC teams getting in....

Thoughts???
[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Thoughts???
Too many questions unanswered in your scenario...

1) who in the P5 are undefeated/ or one loss champs? If fewer than 4 then UGA definitely gets in.
2) is there more than 2 two loss champs in the P5?
3) what are the scores between the 3 SEC schools?
4) How did UW and Louisville finish their seasons? Is either the champ in their conference?
5) who is ahead of Auburn and who is directly behind them?
6) is ND still in the mix?
7) what are the P5 conference championships? And what are the teams ranked?

Without these questions answered then there isn’t any good answers to your scenario because it lacks vital info. But UGA would be the first team in of any SEC team for sure.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Too many questions unanswered in your scenario...

1) who in the P5 are undefeated/ or one loss champs? If fewer than 4 then UGA definitely gets in.
2) is there more than 2 two loss champs in the P5?
3) what are the scores between the 3 SEC schools?
4) How did UW and Louisville finish their seasons? Is either the champ in their conference?
5) who is ahead of Auburn and who is directly behind them?
6) is ND still in the mix?
7) what are the P5 conference championships? And what are the teams ranked?

Without these questions answered then there isn’t any good answers to your scenario because it lacks vital info. But UGA would be the first team in of any SEC team for sure.
I agree...this simply illustrates how insane it is to pick final four teams at this stage. My basic assumption is that going forward it will be very difficult for the powers that be to pick 2 teams from the same conference -- due to all the flack last year. Also -- the current set up is flawed, but I don't know of another one with the same amount of teams.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
No way we get in this year if we're not the SEC Champs. They're just not going to allow it as long as the playoffs are 4 teams and not 8.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The fact we got into the BCS in 2011 without being conference champs and then last year without it means we've bucked the odds twice.

Ain't no way in the world the committee would put 3 SEC teams into the CFP. No way in the world. They'd have a 2 or 3 loss power 5 team or a 1 loss wanta-be before they'd let this happen.

And if we want into the mix this year, we better win the SEC!

But KUDOS to the OP for thinking up such a crazy scenario!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree...this simply illustrates how insane it is to pick final four teams at this stage. My basic assumption is that going forward it will be very difficult for the powers that be to pick 2 teams from the same conference -- due to all the flack last year. Also -- the current set up is flawed, but I don't know of another one with the same amount of teams.
I don’t think the flack has much to do with it as much as the scenario. If there are multiple 2 loss champs and Nd is nowhere to be found then I think it’s possible.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Thoughts???
Your scenario has too many unknown variables.

1) You're ASSUMING Georgia gets in because they won the SEC.

They probably do. But what if Tua got hurt in the first quarter (a la Colt McCoy)
and we lost in overtime by a referee's blunder? What if it was a game where we outgained them by 200 yards and went up and down the field
but Tua would have made the difference?

2) Part of it depends on what happens elsewhere.

An unbeaten Clemson, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, or Michigan will go. Period. No argument. There are a few other teams that would also
go if unbeaten regardless of SOS: Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Nebraska. (My list isn't exhaustive or meant to be).

I could see three SEC teams IF almost every other conference member had NO LESS than two losses.

Let's go back a bit (and this won't work exactly).

One of the strongest arguments against the BCS that 81 and I bring up is the 2003 Oklahoma Sooners, that "greatest team of all-time" that got smoked
by Kansas State, 35-7. In a two-team BCS, they were undeserving. It's even more embarrassing that right after getting blown out they were the number one ranked team in the country.

however.....if there had been a four-team playoff, OU would have HAD to go. Three teams had one loss: LSU, USC, and OU. The fourth one-loss team, Boise State, was not given serious consideration by the BCS (#17) and didn't deserve any. But it would have been very interesting to have seen how a vote would have decided between two-loss Michigan, Ohio St, FSU, Tennessee, and Miami. I think Michigan would have gotten the nod, but who knows?

They might have chosen defending champion Ohio State in 2003.....

Then there's 2007.

Who gets in?

The only sure things I can think of are one-loss Ohio State and - probably - two-loss LSU.

Who else gets in?

Va Tech (11-2) - lost to LSU, 48-7, and to BC, 14-10
Oklahoma (11-2) - 3-point loss to Colorado on last play FG, seven-point loss to Leach (9-4)
Georgia (11-2) - didn't win the East but a lot of folks thought they were the best team in the country; got routed by Vols
and never played LSU
Mizzou (11-2) - both losses to OU
USC (11-2) - two close losses to Oregon and 41-point underdog Stanford
Kansas - only one loss but perhaps the weakest SOS of any "contender" since BYU in 1984
Hawaii (12-0) - ?????

If you're asking what I THINK would happen with the current setup, I think your four teams are Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma and USC.

3) The committee was impressed with two-loss Auburn, who would have made it last year.

It ended badly for Auburn, but give the committee credit: Auburn DID look VERY good in those two big games against UGA and us at
JHS. They effectively lost their season with the LSU collapse. I think if Alabama played Auburn last year we probably win 8 of 10 away
from JHS, but Auburn was a deserving team had they beaten UGA in the rematch.

I seriously doubt there's a scenario short of cross conference mediocrity that would enable this. Remember, every win for one SEC team is
a loss for another one - so you're likely to offset those three powers with 3 of the worst teams in all CFB, which will lower perceived
conference strength, too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not to pick on you, but given how many folks on this board screamed bloody murder about the playoff being here "so that 2 SEC teams ever get in,"
I can't really endorse this idea.

Flack?

Georgia-OU got the second highest ratings of the playoff era.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...title-game-scores-big-rating-espn/1016621001/

Monday night's national championship game telecast of Alabama's thrilling 26-23 overtime win against Georgia on ESPN was the second most-watched cable event ever, the network announced on Tuesday afternoon.

An average of 28.4 million people watched the College Football Playoff championship that was decided in overtime, a 13% increase from last year's similarly close nail-biter that saw Clemson edge Alabama.

==========

The newness will be gone if it's a rematch, but it will stop pop a great rating.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No way we get in this year if we're not the SEC Champs. They're just not going to allow it as long as the playoffs are 4 teams and not 8.
So we've gone as Tide fans from:

2011 - we shouldn't have to face LSU in a rematch if we win.....
2011 - we would beat LSU in a rematch, so we should get one
2012 - the playoff is designed to keep out two SEC teams
2014 - if 2 SEC teams make it, they'll be forced to play in the semi-final
2018 - they'll never let it happen again

Every single prophetic leap into the future has been wrong, often badly so.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

The BCS rematch was what started the playoff, and the title game last year will be the catalyst for going to an 8 team playoff. If we have one loss and another P5 team is conference champ with one loss you can bet the house we won't jump them again. The only way an one loss SEC non-champ jumps a P5 conference champ is if that champ has 2 losses. All those "prophetic leaps" were all first time deals too, they were never repeated as that killed the BCS and will kill the 4-team playoff too.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The BCS rematch was what started the playoff, and the title game last year will be the catalyst for going to an 8 team playoff. If we have one loss and another P5 team is conference champ with one loss you can bet the house we won't jump them again. The only way an one loss SEC non-champ jumps a P5 conference champ is if that champ has 2 losses. All those "prophetic leaps" were all first time deals too, they were never repeated as that killed the BCS and will kill the 4-team playoff too.
I agree and the next CFP format will at minimum go to 6 teams and probably 8 teams.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I agree Selma. I once believed that the playoff was designed to keep 2 SEC teams from playing each other for the championship. Maybe that was the catalyst for many to go to a playoff system. Thus far the playoff committee has done a good job of getting the 4 most deserving teams in the playoffs. I have more faith in the committee than I did a few years ago. Hope that continues.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The BCS rematch was what started the playoff,
With all due respect to you, this is NOT true. This is one of those cherished myths. Congress had already gotten into the
action thanks to Pompous Windbag Joe Barton, and the playoff was coming anyway.

and the title game last year will be the catalyst for going to an 8 team playoff.
That may or may not be true. But the contract goes for - I believe - another eight years, and the people who have the power to make this
happen don't want this, so I doubt it.
Besides - how can we say it's because of the two teams and NOT because of Ohio St in 2016 not winning their conference?

If we have one loss and another P5 team is conference champ with one loss you can bet the house we won't jump them again.
We didn't jump a one loss team last time, either.

For your info - we didn't "jump" anybody, we were ranked ahead of Ohio St before the B1G title game.

The only way an one loss SEC non-champ jumps a P5 conference champ is if that champ has 2 losses.
Which is the same thing as already occurred
All those "prophetic leaps" were all first time deals too,
Oh please, misguided Alabama fans whining things they THINK they know but don't, and I'm supposed to pretend that their "it will never happen"
actually means "it will happen but only once?"

they were never repeated as that killed the BCS and will kill the 4-team playoff too.
What killed the bowls? Money
What killed the BCS? Money

What will kill the four-team playoff? Money, someone just has to figure out how not to kill the golden goose.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me make one point here because I might possibly be misunderstood.

It is probable that at least SOME of the fans who adopted the "never two teams from the same conference" were not so
much responding emotionally as they were using this logic:

"There's no way in hell Jim Delaney would have agreed to this otherwise."

So I can see where that position comes from.

But no promises were made so....

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I couldn't see AU getting in the playoff under your scenario because there would be other conference champions that have only 1 loss. I don't see how they could put a 3rd best team from the SEC in the playoff over a 1 loss P5 champion. I could however see both Bama and UGA getting in the playoff if they are both 12-0 going into the SECCG and the game turns out to be close. The committee could then decide that a 1 loss SEC runner up might be a better team than a 1 loss PAC-12 or 1 loss BIG-12 champion.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I couldn't see AU getting in the playoff under your scenario because there would be other conference champions that have only 1 loss. I don't see how they could put a 3rd best team from the SEC in the playoff over a 1 loss P5 champion. I could however see both Bama and UGA getting in the playoff if they are both 12-0 going into the SECCG and the game turns out to be close. The committee could then decide that a 1 loss SEC runner up might be a better team than a 1 loss PAC-12 or 1 loss BIG-12 champion.
See I disagree. I think AU gets in and we don't (depending on what happens elsewhere). They would at least have a win over Washington OOC and then a win over the SEC champ. We would have a win over Auburn as our best win.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
See I disagree. I think AU gets in and we don't (depending on what happens elsewhere). They would at least have a win over Washington OOC and then a win over the SEC champ. We would have a win over Auburn as our best win.
But we'd be the SECw champion while AU would only be the runner up. I think that would work in our favor. I think the committee would view AU as only 3rd best in the SEC. I cannot see them take a 1 loss division runner up over a 1 loss champion from the same division.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But we'd be the SECw champion while AU would only be the runner up. I think that would work in our favor. I think the committee would view AU as only 3rd best in the SEC. I cannot see them take a 1 loss division runner up over a 1 loss champion from the same division.
It would really come down to:

1) how competitive the iron bowl was
2) how competitive the SECCG was
3) UW’s record
4) Louisville’s record

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.