Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Ed King passes away at 68.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Former guitarist for Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ed King, has died.
King was part of the southern rock band, best known for its anthems “Sweet Home Alabama, which he co-wrote, and “Free Bird. “
King was a member from 1972 through 1975 and again from 1987 through 1996, the Tennessean reported.
The announcement of his death was posted on his Facebook page.

app-facebook

Ed King
4 hours ago

It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of Ed King who died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee on August 22nd, 2018.
We thank his many friends and fans for their love and support of Ed during his life and career.

According to the announcement, King died at his Tennessee home on Wednesday.
King wasn’t only known for Lynyrd Skynyrd, he also was a founding member of Strawberry Alarm Clock.
Lynyrd Skynyrd, according to the band’s official biography, was started about 41 years ago in Jacksonville, Florida. It stopped for a decade after a plane crash killed three members of the band in 1977.
The band continues to tour with original member Gary Rossington.
It has more than 60 albums and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.
Funeral arrangements have not been released.
King was 68 years old, the Tennessean reported.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
RIP.

Enjoyed his music, lyrics, and vocals. He was another one that was so young when his bands got big in the mid/late ‘60s. For a Lynerd alum, 68 is a long life span.

Sweet home now, Ed.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I heard about this earlier when my girlfriend text me the news. He was definitely a talented guitarist. No one could quite pull off the Sweet Home Alabama solo like Ed could.

RIP Ed....Sad day....

I guess Gary Rossington is the only original Skynyrd member left now. Artimus Pyle is still alive too, if you want to count members that played in the band with Ronnie Van Zant as an original member....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
RIP Ed. Gary, Allen and Ed were incredible musicians. For me, the 3 guitar sound made the band. They could burn up a stage!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.