Blake Barnett named as starting Qb for USF

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think he would have finished 2016 as the starting qb had he not cut out too soon, but as somebody noted, we might not have gotten Tua had that happened. I bet he has regretted leaving. Ob la di ob la da, life goes on.
His dad had more to do with that than Blake. He's dad was living vicariously through his kid.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think he would have finished 2016 as the starting qb had he not cut out too soon, but as somebody noted, we might not have gotten Tua had that happened. I bet he has regretted leaving. Ob la di ob la da, life goes on.
So you are saying the guy that beat him out after two series and was named the SEC offensive player of the year who almost led his team to a NC would get replaced? You really think Blake could win back the team? I understand Jalen's transgressions this past year which is well documented but Jalen had a phenomenal freshman year and I thought the future was going to be very bright going into 2017 and obviously it did not work out that way. Anyway, I disagree with that statement.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
So you are saying the guy that beat him out after two series and was named the SEC offensive player of the year who almost led his team to a NC would get replaced? You really think Blake could win back the team? I understand Jalen's transgressions this past year which is well documented but Jalen had a phenomenal freshman year and I thought the future was going to be very bright going into 2017 and obviously it did not work out that way. Anyway, I disagree with that statement.
Yes. I think Blake might have won back the starting job by the end of the year, when it had become very apparent that Hurts could not consistently complete intermediate and downfield passes, could not read defense before or after the snap, could not check down to secondary receivers, could not look off a db, had horrible pocket presence. He won the SEC MVP, in my opinion, because he was the most prolific offensive player on the best team, by far, in the SEC, plus there was a lack of great offensive players that year. Some folks claim that Tua didn't get to play more last season because he was turning the ball over in practice. Well, Jalen Hurts turned the ball over 14 times in real live games that year and fumbled several more that we recovered. Blake Barnett, in the playing time he did get, did not turn the ball over once, and had a good qb rating. So yeah, I think it's very possible he might have won back the starting job. It's a moot point, it was 2 seasons back, and I'm looking forward to this year, but you did ask.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Yes. I think Blake might have won back the starting job by the end of the year, when it had become very apparent that Hurts could not consistently complete intermediate and downfield passes, could not read defense before or after the snap, could not check down to secondary receivers, could not look off a db, had horrible pocket presence. He won the SEC MVP, in my opinion, because he was the most prolific offensive player on the best team, by far, in the SEC, plus there was a lack of great offensive players that year. Some folks claim that Tua didn't get to play more last season because he was turning the ball over in practice. Well, Jalen Hurts turned the ball over 14 times in real live games that year and fumbled several more that we recovered. Blake Barnett, in the playing time he did get, did not turn the ball over once, and had a good qb rating. So yeah, I think it's very possible he might have won back the starting job. It's a moot point, it was 2 seasons back, and I'm looking forward to this year, but you did ask.
​John Doe? That you?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just don't see Blake winning the team back with Jalen being the talk of the league his first 9 games. Stuggled against LSWho on the road but so did AJ. At what point in the season did you see Blake taking over?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I think he would have done everything he had to to win the starting job, EXCEPT win the team. I truly feel that his persona/attitude went against what the team wanted in a leader.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
​John Doe? That you?
ha. I just clicked on the John Doe video you linked in the other thread. I'm not John Doe but I have been saying the same things since about the middle of the 2016 season that he has been saying and showing in his videos.

By the way, I have recently seen it posted that John Doe may be Marquis Maze.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
ha. I just clicked on the John Doe video you linked in the other thread. I'm not John Doe but I have been saying the same things since about the middle of the 2016 season that he has been saying and showing in his videos.

Congrats - good call. Btw, I think everyone will rethink their view of Blake Barnett and what happened in 2016 if they watch the latest John Doe episode in the QB thread. It opened my eyes to a couple of things I had not thought of - especially the possibility of a concussion. I did know he threw at least 3 beautiful balls in that USC game.

Others have speculated that it might be Kenny Bell. Whoever he is - I hope he comes out in the open. His analysis is great and he can get away with saying things that most Bama fans can't. I hope he continues to enlighten us with future analysis.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

He is someone who was a big fan even as far back as the fRAN years, if you go by his latest video. Which, Maze would be old enough for.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Wonder what really happened at Arizona? I think he would have played at Bama had he kept working, but.....he didn't so .....anyway yeah! Hope he lights 'em up. Good luck to him as a student, a person, a player, and a bigger calling. A 'Father'. Most important job on the planet.
I have a feeling his dad had a lot to do with his hasty decision to quit and transfer. It seems to me a lot of parents envision their kid being an NFL QB, and see that slipping away if they can’t start in 2yrs. Which problem we seem to be having again.

For an 18-19yr old kid, having your own dad telling you to get out of dodge, that you would be better off somewhere else, has got to be really hard to ignore. Even stacked against the advice of a legendary coach. You seem to lose the starting job to a guy you know you can pass better than, maybe that advice becomes a lot easier to take. Dads have a lot of pull.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have a feeling his dad had a lot to do with his hasty decision to quit and transfer. It seems to me a lot of parents envision their kid being an NFL QB, and see that slipping away if they can’t start in 2yrs. Which problem we seem to be having again.

For an 18-19yr old kid, having your own dad telling you to get out of dodge, that you would be better off somewhere else, has got to be really hard to ignore. Even stacked against the advice of a legendary coach. You seem to lose the starting job to a guy you know you can pass better than, maybe that advice becomes a lot easier to take. Dads have a lot of pull.
Don't blame him for listening to his father. It is just a shame that his father didn't trust Blake as much as Blake trusted the father.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Time will tell. He came off as a spoiled brat when he transferred, and a mediocre QB when he couldn't get the starting gig at ASU. That's all now far enough in the past that I think we can wish him success (esp if he could muzzle UCF).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.