Beto O'Rourke - TX Senate candidate

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well now that Willie Nelson endorsed him, "conservatives" are boycotting Willie. Did the idiots really think Willie was a conservative? I guess some of them just live under a rock. Just wait until they find out he smokes pot.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...son-beto-orourke-rally-performance-fans-upset

Willie Nelson endorsed Ross Perot in 1992.

Funny side story to that one (tell me if this sounds familiar).

Perot picked up a ton of celebrity endorsements.

One was from Willie Nelson, who was outside a Perot rally and saying nice things about Perot. Ross went ballistic when talking to his consultants about this. "You know who Willie Nelson represents? Tax cheats and dope smokers!" One of his advisers said, "Ross, if you eliminate people who have smoked dope, you don't have enough votes left to get elected." Perot wanted Willie forcibly removed, and his advisers actually had to tell him, "If you do this, it will prove the exception to the rule that there's no such thing as bad publicity."

The second case involved actress Katherine Hepburn, who wrote a letter ON HER OWN to a number of supporters full of ridiculous advice on how the campaign was failing. It was an ill-informed nonsensical opinion by a political amateur, but Perot treated it as the most important thing since the Wright Brothers invented flying. One adviser later mused, "He'd disdain professional consultants who had won races when they told him to do something, but if something came to him from a famous person who didn't know what they were talking about, he'd treat it like an ex cathedra statement from the pope."

Does this sound like any billionaire politicians you might have heard of?????

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He didn’t think Kate represented women who sleep with married men?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For the record, O'Rourke is an attractive candidate, and he's done a good job trying to get his name out there.

I still think he has virtually no chance at beating Cruz, but he's the best Dem candidate I've seen for a major office here going back to when I lived in San Antonio in 2001. Thing is, I hear this same song and dance every single major election. They turned Wendy Davis into a star based on a speech she gave on abortion here, and she got her clock cleaned.

But the polls also show about 40% of folks don't know what he's for. One thing he is for is single payer healthcare, which in Texas will probably kill his candidacy once Cruz unloads millions in negative ads on him.

Cruz is not overly well liked here and Beto has been a dynamic candidate so far, but it will still take a miracle for him to actually win the race.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'm certainly far from being very knowledgeable on Texas politics but it seems hard to see how even Cruz can lose to a Democrat in Texas.:conf2:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm certainly far from being very knowledgeable on Texas politics but it seems hard to see how even Cruz can lose to a Democrat in Texas.:conf2:
O'Rourke is trying to position himself as the "people's candidate" when, in fact, he is a typical silver spooned schmuck who grew up in a gated community, attended private school so he didn't have to mesh with the underlings and undesirables. But, he knows what's best for us. SMH.

Politics as usual. Same pig, just a different shade of lip stick.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
O'Rourke is trying to position himself as the "people's candidate" when, in fact, he is a typical silver spooned schmuck who grew up in a gated community, attended private school so he didn't have to mesh with the underlings and undesirables. But, he knows what's best for us. SMH.

But it does say a lot about November when the same state that elected and re-elected guys like Rick Perry and the current Gov.....when Ted Cruz is in trouble??

I know that we have been hearing that the demographics are changing in Tejas, but is the worm turning this soon?

I agree that Cruz should win, but it shouldn't be this close - given past election results.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
One thing the O'Rourke campaign is doing is spamming cell phones. How they are getting the numbers is another issue. My buddy is the IT director for a firm in town and they have new cell phones that haven't been issued to associates yet, however, they are buzzing with text messages from the O'Rourke campaign. He may suffer some backlash over that.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

so you are withdrawing your o.p. characterization of him as young, energetic, and grassroots?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
But it does say a lot about November when the same state that elected and re-elected guys like Rick Perry and the current Gov.....when Ted Cruz is in trouble??

I know that we have been hearing that the demographics are changing in Tejas, but is the worm turning this soon?

I agree that Cruz should win, but it shouldn't be this close - given past election results.
What exactly does it say? The current governor is actually doing a better job than slick Rick. I blasted him on the property tax issue, but overall, I'd give him a solid B. Property taxes, however, are completely out of control. As for Cruz, eh...not a fan, but I haven't been a fan of most of our federally elected officials anyway. I'm working locally to affect the tax rate in our mud district and school district. Local control brother, local control. For now anyway.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Even if true at least he's an actual human. Therefore people's candidate is more accurate than an alien in human skin like Cruz.

One thing the O'Rourke campaign is doing is spamming cell phones. How they are getting the numbers is another issue. My buddy is the IT director for a firm in town and they have new cell phones that haven't been issued to associates yet, however, they are buzzing with text messages from the O'Rourke campaign. He may suffer some backlash over that.
I know it would annoy me to get unsolicited text messages. However it would also annoy me to get fake summons that are really pleas for donations.

TED CRUZ CAMPAIGN IS MAILING DONATION REQUESTS DISGUISED AS LEGAL SUMMONSES

Ted Cruz’s Texas senatorial campaign has sent hundreds of thousands of mailers seeking donations that are meant to look like official county summons, a high-ranking campaign official confirmed to Newsweek.

The brown envelopes read “SUMMONS ENCLOSED-OPEN IMMEDIATELY” in large black letters, and have a return address of “official county summons.”

While the letter inside the envelope was a donation form for the Cruz campaign, there was some fear that some voters might be confused by the mailer and believe that they were required by law to pay a fee.

“Received this for my 88-year-old grandma,” wrote Sean Owen of Austin on Twitter. “Says it's a summons from Travis County, but is actually asking for money for Ted Cruz. Did your campaign authorize this? Is this even legal? Shame on you.”

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
What exactly does it say? The current governor is actually doing a better job than slick Rick. I blasted him on the property tax issue, but overall, I'd give him a solid B. Property taxes, however, are completely out of control. As for Cruz, eh...not a fan, but I haven't been a fan of most of our federally elected officials anyway. I'm working locally to affect the tax rate in our mud district and school district. Local control brother, local control. For now anyway.
I guess what I was implying was that : If Cruz is in trouble, deep in the heart of Tejas, what does that say about the GOP's prospects nationally?

Of course, Cruz suffered a lot of damage during the presidential campaign. 45 was able to make slurs about his wife, and even claim that Cruz's Dad was involved in the JFK assassination. As ludicrous and crass as these claims were, Cruz was made out to be a buffoon. And his sucking up to 45 now even makes him even more of a clown.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
My bro who is a big Trump supporter calls Cruz a booger eater. There is video of a booger falling out of his nose in the middle of a debate and landing in his mouth.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I guess what I was implying was that : If Cruz is in trouble, deep in the heart of Tejas, what does that say about the GOP's prospects nationally?

Of course, Cruz suffered a lot of damage during the presidential campaign. 45 was able to make slurs about his wife, and even claim that Cruz's Dad was involved in the JFK assassination. As ludicrous and crass as these claims were, Cruz was made out to be a buffoon. And his sucking up to 45 now even makes him even more of a clown.
Gotcha. Within 10 yrs, I predict Texas is a lib's paradise.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.