Beto O'Rourke - TX Senate candidate

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
he had no position on issues at all

link
Well, he did say in one of his campaign ads that he was in favor of free unicorn milk for everyone and taking the pot of gold from the Crichton leprechaun and redistributing it to all "refugees" coming across the border. Other than that, his ads were fairly meaningless. ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, he did say in one of his campaign ads that he was in favor of free unicorn milk for everyone and taking the pot of gold from the Crichton leprechaun and redistributing it to all "refugees" coming across the border. Other than that, his ads were fairly meaningless. ;)
it was unicorn farts. i don't know how you expect folks to take you seriously if you cant even get the basics correct :D

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I keep seeing people say he should run for president. I think the Democrats should nominate someone who actually won their last race.
It used to be pretty much an ironclad rule that if you lost your last race, nobody took you seriously as a national candidate.

Indeed, this guy has more in common with Nixon than with Lincoln at this point.

I know he had a tough battle in a red state and Lincoln lost a Senate race two years before being elected president. But I don’t see him beating Trump.
There are so many differences in these scenarios that anyone who argues this way ought to be shot out of a cannon for being an idiot.

The Republican Party was FOUR YEARS OLD in 1854.
Lincoln ALSO lost the 1856 Senate election.
Lincoln ran in a FOUR CANDIDATE race for President in 1860.

And when I say four candidates, I mean FOUR CANDIDATES got ELECTORAL VOTES, not like 2016.

And House candidates are never taken seriously anyway. (Yes, I know he has "more experience" than Trump, but he won't have more than much of his competition).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It used to be pretty much an ironclad rule that if you lost your last race, nobody took you seriously as a national candidate.

Indeed, this guy has more in common with Nixon than with Lincoln at this point.

There are so many differences in these scenarios that anyone who argues this way ought to be shot out of a cannon for being an idiot.

And when I say four candidates, I mean FOUR CANDIDATES got ELECTORAL VOTES, not like 2016.

And House candidates are never taken seriously anyway. (Yes, I know he has "more experience" than Trump, but he won't have more than much of his competition).
I originally had Nixon included in my comment before deleting it. He was on a two race losing streak. He lost the governor race just two years after carrying the state for president.

Imagine how history changes if he wins in 1962. Then Reagan doesn’t get elected in 1966. Or even in 1970 if he doesn’t want to challenge whoever moved up when Nixon becomes president in 1969.

I agree comparing Beto to Lincoln is apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Lincoln ran for the senate in 1858. He did not run for anything in 1856 (although he was mentioned as a VP candidate for Fremont, coming in second to the eventual VP nominee William Dayton).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Lincoln ran for the senate in 1858. He did not run for anything in 1856 (although he was mentioned as a VP candidate for Fremont, coming in second to the eventual VP nominee William Dayton).
Typo. I meant 1854.

And IIRC, it wasn’t a popular vote then but a legislature choice.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Typo. I meant 1854.
Well, you were quite young then.
And IIRC, it wasn’t a popular vote then but a legislature choice.
All states selected United States Senators by legislature in 1860 because the Constitution directed this method (until the XVII Amendment).

To the topic, I do not know how Beto will translate to national "curb appeal." How much of the non-Texas money donated to his campaign was because of his characteristics (charisma, policy pronouncements,etc.) and how much was because he was not Ted Cruz?

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I hang out with some expat Argentines.

The running Argentina joke is that they are Italians who speak Spanish, think that they are French, and would secretly like to be British, but live in a 3rd world country.
Well, they shouldn't fear too much because Italy is quickly becoming a 3rd world country between the immigration issues and their financial issues. They may actually be better off in Argentina.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I hang out with some expat Argentines.

The running Argentina joke is that they are Italians who speak Spanish, think that they are French, and would secretly like to be British, but live in a 3rd world country.
I have always found it interesting of how the Brazilians and Argentinians express a slight animosity toward each other as the Argentinians flock to Brazilian beaches in the summer and the Brazilians head to Buenos Aires to dance the Tango and take in the sights of the Paris of the southern hemisphere. Both countries are very well educated having free college for the middle class for generations. Argentina as well created great wealth when the wool market was strong in the last century.

There is significant poverty particularly in Brazil which along with Argentina's financial condition might place both in third world status and give us a view of what it will be when the US arrives at third world status as well.

I do miss Brazil and think that most Americans don't realize how comfortable it is to live there or Argentina. Although that may be changing dramatically as well.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I have always found it interesting of how the Brazilians and Argentinians express a slight animosity toward each other as the Argentinians flock to Brazilian beaches in the summer and the Brazilians head to Buenos Aires to dance the Tango and take in the sights of the Paris of the southern hemisphere. Both countries are very well educated having free college for the middle class for generations. Argentina as well created great wealth when the wool market was strong in the last century.

There is significant poverty particularly in Brazil which along with Argentina's financial condition might place both in third world status and give us a view of what it will be when the US arrives at third world status as well.

I do miss Brazil and think that most Americans don't realize how comfortable it is to live there or Argentina. Although that may be changing dramatically as well.
I spent 3 weeks in Buenos Aires at the end of last year. I had a blast, and would go back again. Would I live there? Hell, no.

I guess I got in and out during a lull in the protests. The 1st day there, there was a huge riot downtown at Congress and Plaza De Mayo. Rock-throwing, tear gas, police baricades. I watched it all live on local TV, thinking, "We were supposed to go there in a couple of days." Much of the mess was cleaned up when we visited downtown a few days later.

We missed the baggage-handlers' strike by a couple of days.

Uruguay was awesome. I could live there. The antithesis of Argentina. I doubt that the Peronists and the right-wingers will ever get along.

Right now, there is a huge turmoil over university funding. Some of the colleges didn't open on time due to the lack of funding. The Peronists say, "Education has always been free in Argentina." Not considering that nothing is "free".....somebody has to pay for it, and in their terrible economy, where is the money going to come from?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I spent 3 weeks in Buenos Aires at the end of last year. I had a blast, and would go back again. Would I live there? Hell, no.

I guess I got in and out during a lull in the protests. The 1st day there, there was a huge riot downtown at Congress and Plaza De Mayo. Rock-throwing, tear gas, police baricades. I watched it all live on local TV, thinking, "We were supposed to go there in a couple of days." Much of the mess was cleaned up when we visited downtown a few days later.

We missed the baggage-handlers' strike by a couple of days.

Uruguay was awesome. I could live there. The antithesis of Argentina. I doubt that the Peronists and the right-wingers will ever get along.

Right now, there is a huge turmoil over university funding. Some of the colleges didn't open on time due to the lack of funding. The Peronists say, "Education has always been free in Argentina." Not considering that nothing is "free".....somebody has to pay for it, and in their terrible economy, where is the money going to come from?
I have made several visits to the pampas near Uruguaiana and believe that you are right that Uruguay would be the place to consider as an ex-patriot. My limited research says that Uruguay has the most modern banking system in South America.

Much of my time over the years in Brazil was in states of Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sol around Porto Allegre. I always found it to be very livable but certainly not inexpensive.

As you point out though the transportation strikes often turn violent with burned trucks and buses.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

This is the second post I have read today saying the U.S. will one day reach third world status. It has me wondering if the same people would be singing the same time if another person had won the presidential election. We only have to deal with the man for 4 years and the democrats, who will oppose him at every turn, control the house his last 2 years. The country is not headed toward 3rd world status, it has merely taken a bad turn for the past few years that will be corrected in a few years if we do what is necessary.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Found the hitch in your plan.
Well part of the doing what's necessary is democrats following their promises. They were given the house this election and as long as they do not wet the bed in the next 2 years they should get the Senate and the house. Then we have to just watch and see if they make good on their promises or act like politicians have done for centuries and just look after their own interests. Now that I think of it, trusting in them is not a solid plan.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is the second post I have read today saying the U.S. will one day reach third world status. It has me wondering if the same people would be singing the same time if another person had won the presidential election. We only have to deal with the man for 4 years and the democrats, who will oppose him at every turn, control the house his last 2 years. The country is not headed toward 3rd world status, it has merely taken a bad turn for the past few years that will be corrected in a few years if we do what is necessary.

It ain't even "really" that big a deal.

"If Candidate X wins, you will die" might be the oldest campaign tactic in the book.

Reagan was going to destroy the world in a nuclear war (and I wasn't born but before that we were told the same about Goldwater).
Clinton's health care plan will destroy the country.
Bush's foreign policy will destroy the country.
Obamacare will destroy the country.
Trump will destroy the country.

Puh-leeze, it's just the whining of the "true believers" or the "we have a particular financial interest (perceived) at stake."

"If my candidate/ideology doesn't win, the entire world will fall to pieces" is the same kind of crap as Bob Costas finding the most mundane regular season baseball game as one of the greatest match ups of all-time.

Trump is a d-bag. He isn't Hitler (he isn't that smart).
And Hillary wouldn't have been, either.

(It's always amusing to me that rich business people remain rich business people regardless of who is in power - mostly because they think like business owners and don't actually invest themselves emotionally in the ideological red herrings we get in our elections).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.