r.i.p. senator mccain

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Unfortunately, that's often how it happens. There are moments that divide the timeline of someone's life into simply "before" and "after." This diagnosis is one of them. Lymphoma on Christmas could be another, depending on what type. A few years ago, a 12-year-old girl was having a simple fracture set the day before Thanksgiving. The surgeon sent me a frozen section and asked if her bone was infected. It was a sarcoma.
Cancer is a strange disease. My wife was initially diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 44. She had surgery and chemo and got into remission. She has had it come back twice but was able to get back to remission. Now she's 68 and it came back but this time it spread to her bones. My point is it's not a death sentence always, but the type of cancer John McCain had is unfortunately not treatable.
My wife will not get rid of it this time but like she says, we're all going out eventually but there's no expiration date on the bottom of our feet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i remember well the looks from the different imaging guys the day they found my tumor. the cat-scan guy walked in with a drawn face and a phone and said "your doctor needs to speak with you." the mri tech was very compassionately professional if that makes sense. it was a very surreal day. i knew within a few hours that it was likely that it wasn't malignant, but that was a weird head-space to be in for sure.
I think you stay around just to torture GA Bulldog fans, ha ha.

Glad you're okay.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
and to repeatedly remind my wife that i now have incontrovertible proof that, yes i do have a brain.

gracias
Never knew that about you. Glad you are okay, too. No one ever deserves to go through something like that (not even you!) ;)

Thanks for sharing.....and God Bless

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's because he was more of a RINO than a real Republican.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
This isn't the thread for a history lesson, so I'll keep my response short, particularly since I'm not fully aware of your own positions. However:

The biggest RINO of all-time is President Donald J. Trump, and it's not even a close second.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
There has been an old internet falsity being recirculated that claims that John McCain pickled off the Zuni rocket that started the fire on Forrestal that killed 164. Snopes has the info, and it was manufactured to discredit McCain because of his opposition to Trump. I have been aware of John McCain for most of my adult life. I was a Naval Aviator, as he was, and we were in the service at the same time. I served on USS Forrestal for three years. The aviation community in the navy is relatively small in comparison to the blackshoe navy, and McCain was a name that was familiar from my first squadron in 1964. By association, navy pilots knew who his father and grandfather, both admirals, were as well. It is no great revelation that he was not a popular person in the navy. I know three different people who were in squadrons with him, and he was known as arrogant and short-tempered. He was an instructor in the jet pipeline, known as a 'screamer', and students dreaded having him in the back seat for flights. Suffice it to say that my admiration of him does not arise from his personality, but from his patriotism and sense of what is right. The principal reason that I cannot abide Donald Trump is because he does not love America like I do; or as John McCain did. The leader of our country should espouse the values and ideals that we hold dear as Americans. Honesty, love of country, respect for all people, adherence to the rule of law, and dedication to something greater than ourselves. John McCain spoke clearly and in the highest forums about these things, and urged his colleagues in congress (and all Americans) to cling to them as closely as their honor. For that he deserves our deepest respect and gratitude. I long for someone to arise who articulates those values as well as he did. I pray that it happens before it is too late. Winter is coming....

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Thank you for your post on Sen McCain. I have seen but not watched the videos critical of him published over this last week. While I did not always agree with John McCain in life I respected his service and have found it very small of those who choose the week of his death to criticize and make questionable claims against him.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
There has been an old internet falsity being recirculated that claims that John McCain pickled off the Zuni rocket that started the fire on Forrestal that killed 164. Snopes has the info, and it was manufactured to discredit McCain because of his opposition to Trump. I have been aware of John McCain for most of my adult life. I was a Naval Aviator, as he was, and we were in the service at the same time. I served on USS Forrestal for three years. The aviation community in the navy is relatively small in comparison to the blackshoe navy, and McCain was a name that was familiar from my first squadron in 1964. By association, navy pilots knew who his father and grandfather, both admirals, were as well. It is no great revelation that he was not a popular person in the navy. I know three different people who were in squadrons with him, and he was known as arrogant and short-tempered. He was an instructor in the jet pipeline, known as a 'screamer', and students dreaded having him in the back seat for flights. Suffice it to say that my admiration of him does not arise from his personality, but from his patriotism and sense of what is right. The principal reason that I cannot abide Donald Trump is because he does not love America like I do; or as John McCain did. The leader of our country should espouse the values and ideals that we hold dear as Americans. Honesty, love of country, respect for all people, adherence to the rule of law, and dedication to something greater than ourselves. John McCain spoke clearly and in the highest forums about these things, and urged his colleagues in congress (and all Americans) to cling to them as closely as their honor. For that he deserves our deepest respect and gratitude. I long for someone to arise who articulates those values as well as he did. I pray that it happens before it is too late. Winter is coming....
You must watch “Game of Thrones.”:)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well said, thanks bob. My wife and I watched Senator McCain's funeral, very impressive, although a little too long. My wife made the comment, much like you stated in the bolded sentence portion above. She said who is left in Washington that has the courage and love of this country to step up and be the next John McCain. My response, sadly was no one I am aware of. IMO, we are out of American heroes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...&utm_term=.c3531ec9b1e6&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well said, thanks bob. My wife and I watched Senator McCain's funeral, very impressive, although a little too long. My wife made the comment, much like you stated in the bolded sentence portion above. She said who is left in Washington that has the courage and love of this country to step up and be the next John McCain. My response, sadly was no one I am aware of. IMO, we are out of American heroes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...&utm_term=.c3531ec9b1e6&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
But, by God, we can't waste our votes on anyone better.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.