Recommendations for Subscription-Based Online TV

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Not sure I take your meaning. If you purchase YoutubeTV service you would download a YoutubeTV app on your Smart TV, Roku, Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, Playstation, or Xbox One and play your content from there. Likewise you can also access your account from your laptop or desktop computer.

The service is hosted online so all you need is internet to access it. That's why those devices I mentioned above that plug into your tv (Roku. Amazon Firestick etc etc) are essential.

Technically you could also tether your laptop to your tv via HDMI if you have the available ports. There are a number of ways to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I want to be sure that it is known that YouTube TV will not work with a Fire TV or Fire Tv Stick. The best device you can have it on is a Shield TV, which is what I use and it is pretty great. It also works on Apple TV and various other devices. Just not Amazon devices.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I want to be sure that it is known that YouTube TV will not work with a Fire TV or Fire Tv Stick. The best device you can have it on is a Shield TV, which is what I use and it is pretty great. It also works on Apple TV and various other devices. Just not Amazon devices.
That's a great note and I did not know that.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Trying out the Youtube TV free trial today vs my Direct TV.

So far I'm pretty impressed. It has every channel you could ever want for CFB games and you can DVR every single game.

The only slight negative is it's about 15-20 secs behind Direct TV but it's about $100 cheaper per month.

I think I'm about to 'Cut the Cord'.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

So far I'm pretty impressed. It has every channel you could ever want for CFB games and you can DVR every single game.

The only slight negative is it's about 15-20 secs behind Direct TV but it's about $100 cheaper per month.

You made me go check out the channel lineup, and I was impressed. My wife has a few channels that she uses that weren't available with YTTV, though. I told her that she could just access those channels through their apps, but she didn't look happy. Hahaha. My search for cheaper TV will continue.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

My gawd, how much were you paying for Direct TV? I have 3 TVs hooked up and pay $65/ month..

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My wife subscribed to hulu for 39.00 monthly. We bought a Roku Streaming Stick for 49.00 in order to have the Hulu. So, for 39.00 a month we have the ESPNs, CBS,CBSSN, Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN, BTN and SEC network. So far it has played well with very little lag. I love it. Of course we have AT&T Uverse internet.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Yep we love it. We have had YouTubetv for over a month now. We also are saving over $100 a month now.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Got my chromecast set up today and signed up for Youtube TV. Going to stream the game tonight and I'm happy as a clam right now...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My wife subscribed to hulu for 39.00 monthly. We bought a Roku Streaming Stick for 49.00 in order to have the Hulu. So, for 39.00 a month we have the ESPNs, CBS,CBSSN, Fox, FS1, NBC, NBCSN, BTN and SEC network. So far it has played well with very little lag. I love it. Of course we have AT&T Uverse internet.
this is my second season with hulu live (through apple tv). it works fairly well. the only drawbacks i have had are when i try to switch back and forth between games, it can be a challenge, and if they start/end on a separate channel (espn news, etc) it can be tough to find the channel quickly.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I went with YoutubeTV this year after hating SlingTv last year. I am thrilled with Youtube.
i think i will do the free trial sometime this season to see how i like the youtubetv.

hulu plus works ok, but it is a bit clunky if you try to go back and forth between games

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I love threads like this because I've been seriously thinking about ditching DirectTv for internet tv. But there is still too many "buffering", "Freezing up" and "clunky" criticisms for me to make the switch. When I'm watching "my stuff", I don't want to have to deal with it, regardless of the price savings.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I love threads like this because I've been seriously thinking about ditching DirectTv for internet tv. But there is still too many "buffering", "Freezing up" and "clunky" criticisms for me to make the switch. When I'm watching "my stuff", I don't want to have to deal with it, regardless of the price savings.
fwiw, the only thing i have ever had any issues with (buffering, clunky, etc) is trying to watch football/espn. lucky for me, i really don't watch anything related to sports other than bama games and occasionally whatever game may be on right before or right after, so i've gotten used to it.

for the other stuff we watch (mostly via netflix and amazon prime) we very rarely have any problems.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
fwiw, the only thing i have ever had any issues with (buffering, clunky, etc) is trying to watch football/espn. lucky for me, i really don't watch anything related to sports other than bama games and occasionally whatever game may be on right before or right after, so i've gotten used to it.

for the other stuff we watch (mostly via netflix and amazon prime) we very rarely have any problems.
Unfortunately we watch a lot of baseball as well. I do watch other non-Bama football games to. We have Netflix to and rarely have any issues with it. We love it. I think I'm going to stick on a sidelines a while longer with going all in though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.