Recommendations for Subscription-Based Online TV

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
YouTube TV may win out just for AMC. I can't miss Better Call Saul.
You also get unlimited space to record shows. I think there is a cap for Hulu. So I went in there and set all my shows including Bama games to record. They are all in my library now for easy access.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So the time has finally come where AT&T / Direct TV did not offer me the same discounted rate as they have in previous years when my promotion ended. Typically, Direct TV would give me a $60 credit for 12 months when I would call to cancel. No dice this time. They offered me a lower package which did not include many of the sports channels so that was a no go. After 7 years of Direct TV and AT&T internet I have both set for cancellation at the end of the current billing cycle. Google Fiber internet will be installed this Saturday and then the end of March will finalize my Direct TV service. The internet change should be pretty seamless. So what to do now for TV? After doing a lot of research and talking to people who have tried all the services (including this forum) I'm going to try YouTube TV. I was excited at first but the more I read about it the more skeptical I'm becoming. Mainly due to picture quality issues. Most people who have switched to a streaming service from Direct TV have commented that it's a noticeable decrease in picture quality. Not bad per say but a noticeable downgrade. If so that may be a deal breaker for me. I plan to stream from a Roku which will be hardwired into the new Google Fiber modem so there should be no connectivity issue or latency there. As long as the picture quality is good everything else about the service sounds great. I'm actually going to be splitting an account with somebody so it will only cost me $20 per month for YTTV and then $50 for the Google Fiber internet. Total of $70 per month versus what I was paying which was $160. Just hope the picture quality is at least on par to what I had with Direct TV.

Has anyone here switched from Direct TV or a cable company to YouTube TV and noticed lesser picture quality with YTTV (or better)? The good thing is I have several months before football season starts to get everything settled..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So the time has finally come where AT&T / Direct TV did not offer me the same discounted rate as they have in previous years when my promotion ended. Typically, Direct TV would give me a $60 credit for 12 months when I would call to cancel. No dice this time. They offered me a lower package which did not include many of the sports channels so that was a no go. After 7 years of Direct TV and AT&T internet I have both set for cancellation at the end of the current billing cycle. Google Fiber internet will be installed this Saturday and then the end of March will finalize my Direct TV service. The internet change should be pretty seamless. So what to do now for TV? After doing a lot of research and talking to people who have tried all the services (including this forum) I'm going to try YouTube TV. I was excited at first but the more I read about it the more skeptical I'm becoming. Mainly due to picture quality issues. Most people who have switched to a streaming service from Direct TV have commented that it's a noticeable decrease in picture quality. Not bad per say but a noticeable downgrade. If so that may be a deal breaker for me. I plan to stream from a Roku which will be hardwired into the new Google Fiber modem so there should be no connectivity issue or latency there. As long as the picture quality is good everything else about the service sounds great. I'm actually going to be splitting an account with somebody so it will only cost me $20 per month for YTTV and then $50 for the Google Fiber internet. Total of $70 per month versus what I was paying which was $160. Just hope the picture quality is at least on par to what I had with Direct TV.

Has anyone here switched from Direct TV or a cable company to YouTube TV and noticed lesser picture quality with YTTV (or better)? The good thing is I have several months before football season starts to get everything settled..
I have noticed a change. Some shows have a note that it is HD. My assumption is that it does not have that note, it is not HD. I currently have HULU. I am switching to YouTube for awhile.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Finally have YouTube TV in Prattville, so I'm probably about to switch. Will be a savings of about $90 a month (my fault because I didn't called AT&T after my promotion expired).

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We noticed a difference at first with the picture. But haven’t had an issue for months. We have AT&T Fiber internet. So no connection issues. We just had some issues with the prime time shows at first. They must have fixed that since it is perfectly fine now.

Btw, we stream with Roku on all TVs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have noticed a change. Some shows have a note that it is HD. My assumption is that it does not have that note, it is not HD. I currently have HULU. I am switching to YouTube for awhile.
Good to know. I've heard that YTTV has improved over the last few years.
Finally have YouTube TV in Prattville, so I'm probably about to switch. Will be a savings of about $90 a month (my fault because I didn't called AT&T after my promotion expired).
Same. I'm actually splitting YTTV with a relative so it's only going to cost me $20 per month for TV. YTTV allows up to 3 concurrent streams so it shouldn't be a problem. The person I'm splitting it with only has 1 TV so I can still stream on 2 TVs during the fall when there's 2 good games on at the same time. I think you can also log into the ESPN App through YTTV and stream a game which doesn't count against 1 of the 3 streams for YTTV. All in all I was paying $160 for TV and internet - these were the promotional prices for Direct TV and AT&T internet. I'll now be paying $70 total for Google Fiber internet and YTTV. May add Philo for $16 since it has most of the other channels YTTV doesn't. Either way I'm saving around $80 per month.
We noticed a difference at first with the picture. But haven’t had an issue for months. We have AT&T Fiber internet. So no connection issues. We just had some issues with the prime time shows at first. They must have fixed that since it is perfectly fine now.
Btw, we stream with Roku on all TVs.
Good to know. Is your Roku hard wired into the modem or is it connecting via WiFi? I'm going to hard wire the Roku on my main TV to help with connection stability and reduce any latency issues..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Good to know. I've heard that YTTV has improved over the last few years.

Good to know. Is your Roku hard wired into the modem or is it connecting via WiFi? I'm going to hard wire the Roku on my main TV to help with connection stability and reduce any latency issues..

They are all on WiFi. They are the Roku sticks that attach to the tv.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Asked about this on a thread on the Football board, but I know some of you stay on NS more...

What device do you use? I'm looking at Roku Ultura or AppleTV 4k since both can be connected to the router.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Asked about this on a thread on the Football board, but I know some of you stay on NS more...

What device do you use? I'm looking at Roku Ultura or AppleTV 4k since both can be connected to the router.
I use an X-box-1. It gives me the streaming device, the blue-ray player, and if I am in the mood i can blow stuff up or shoot stuff in a video game (it is very therapeutic).

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

We use the Roku sticks on all TVs. But we have used the XBOX as well. Both work fine.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i've been using the apple tv for about 5 years and enjoy it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
i've been using the apple tv for about 5 years and enjoy it.
What streaming service do you use on the apple tv? I've read that YTTV doesn't act well with the apple tv's. Could just be the latest model apple tv..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
What streaming service do you use on the apple tv? I've read that YTTV doesn't act well with the apple tv's. Could just be the latest model apple tv..
i have not tried you tube tv on it yet. we use netflix, hbo, amazon prime, and used to use hulu live. i plan to give yttv a try before next football season because hulu live sucks. the streaming was ok, but we were just getting inundated with commercials

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.