Recommendations for Subscription-Based Online TV

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm a PlayStation guy myself. Was hoping YTTV would be on PS4, which would give me reason to buy it.

CF, I found this comparison of Roku Ultra and AppleTV 4K earlier today.
We have a PS4 but like you said unfortunately it doesn't support YTTV.

I guess my thing about that review is I'm not going to be starting and stopping applications on either device. I'll just be using the YTTV app and once it loads that's it. I won't be switching back and forth between apps so the fact that the Apple TV has a better processor is kind of meaningless for my use case. I also do not have or use iTunes so have no need for the Apple ecosystem apps installed on the ATV. I could definitely see how the ATV would be better for some but I'm going with the Roku Ultra. Not sure there's much of a difference between the two for my use. Also, I can get 2 Roku Ultra's for the price on 1 ATV. I have 2 TVs I need a streaming box for so that also makes more sense to go with the Roku's otherwise I'd be spending close to $400 on hardware. Which one are you leaning towards?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We have a PS4 but like you said unfortunately it doesn't support YTTV.

I guess my thing about that review is I'm not going to be starting and stopping applications on either device. I'll just be using the YTTV app and once it loads that's it. I won't be switching back and forth between apps so the fact that the Apple TV has a better processor is kind of meaningless for my use case. I also do not have or use iTunes so have no need for the Apple ecosystem apps installed on the ATV. I could definitely see how the ATV would be better for some but I'm going with the Roku Ultra. Not sure there's much of a difference between the two for my use. Also, I can get 2 Roku Ultra's for the price on 1 ATV. I have 2 TVs I need a streaming box for so that also makes more sense to go with the Roku's otherwise I'd be spending close to $400 on hardware. Which one are you leaning towards?
Right now, I'm going with the Roku because of the cost. Maybe in the future I'll get ATV and move the Roku to another TV. Can't justify spending twice as much at this point.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Right now, I'm going with the Roku because of the cost. Maybe in the future I'll get ATV and move the Roku to another TV. Can't justify spending twice as much at this point.
They have Roku Ultra refurbished units on eBay or Amazon for $59. Comes with a 90 day warranty from Roku. Might be worth a shot. I would've bought a refurbished one if I didn't find the barely used one for $55..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We have a 4k TV in the family room and the Roku is just fine with that. It is still pretty clear. To me..I can't really tell the difference.

I am not sure if you have ever used the Roku interface, but it is really easy to go from app to app. We have about 6 different streaming services that we use on it.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.