Alabama depth chart for UL

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I don't care how much or little talent Louisville may have. A Petrino offense always scares me.
I feel the same. I downloaded a roster yesterday and realized how young the Alabama team actually is. Traditionally a team replacing as many players as Bama would not be considered to be a favorite to repeat. We know of course a lot of things have changed with the maturity of players out of high school.

Your comment caused me to think how I would go forward with the game if I were CNS. If indeed his strategy is to run the ball and keep Louisville's offense on the sidelines he may well start Jalen due to his greater experience starting big games. If Bama can dominate the LOS the game is practically over. This avoids the big mistake from a young QB early in the game and yet preserves the opportunity to open the offense up if required. I base this on experience with seeing big games being put on the shoulders of young players. In other words going to the well too often.

I lack the information to make a good judgement on the decision but CNS understands there is a long season ahead.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't care how much or little talent Louisville may have. A Petrino offense always scares me.
I guess. You do realize Petrino hasn't fared well against CNS, though, correct? These are the points his teams have scored against Bama:
2008: 14
2009: 7
2010: 20
2011: 14

2010 and 2011 were his most successful teams at Arkansas (10-3, 11-2), so his best teams have scored an average of 17 points on Alabama. Even with Lamar Jackson the man hasn't won more than nine games since his return to UL. And now he has to break-in a new QB - against Bama's front seven?

Not saying Bama can't lose, but if they do, UL will be the least of our worries...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I have been visiting their practice reports and keeping up some. The general consensus is this is their most talented defense in a while, and they feel like they will be very good on offense. I read one long time Louisville observer/insider say Petrino knows Bama has a talent edge but he would be surprised if they weren't in the game late. He feels good about his team in the ACC this year. They expect a close game. They all think Bama is in for a surprise at how good Louisville's D is this year. TIFWIW
I started reading one of Louisville's football message boards last night. Most people think Bama will win but a few said UL could possibly win. They talked about how much better the defense will be. I only watched some of one game last year, but their defense must have been terrible if their Defense Coordinator was fired.

Saban has had all summer to prep for this game, so I expect us to win.. but it may be closer than some predict.

I just hope there are no injuries and the weather is nice. Hopefully the field will not be ruined from the concert there tonight like it was at Univ of South Carolina last week (I read that last night).

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Your comment caused me to think how I would go forward with the game if I were CNS. If indeed his strategy is to run the ball and keep Louisville's offense on the sidelines he may well start Jalen due to his greater experience starting big games. If Bama can dominate the LOS the game is practically over. This avoids the big mistake from a young QB early in the game and yet preserves the opportunity to open the offense up if required. .
The flip side, of course, is that if Louisville is scoring tds, then a grind it out game may not work. If that happened and you needed to turn to the young QB to score more points, then why not let that guy play from the kick off. But yes, we are talking about Nick Saban and he's conservative on offense to a fault (imo). So if he is intent on playing a conservative game and Jalen Hurts starts the game and plays most of the game, I think there's a real good chance that's how most of the season will go, and we'll get more of the same next year while watching Tua on another team.

Edit to say I don't think it'll go that way. I think Tua will be the solid starting qb by the 3rd game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The flip side, of course, is that if Louisville is scoring tds, then a grind it out game may not work. If that happened and you needed to turn to the young QB to score more points, then why not let that guy play from the kick off. But yes, we are talking about Nick Saban and he's conservative on offense to a fault (imo). So if he is intent on playing a conservative game and Jalen Hurts starts the game and plays most of the game, I think there's a real good chance that's how most of the season will go, and we'll get more of the same next year while watching Tua on another team.
Not necessarily. Saban has stated the offensive needs to be explosive and offense will have to win some games this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Not necessarily. Saban has stated the offensive needs to be explosive and offense will have to win some games this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah. Before yours even I edited my post to include the observation that I don't think it will happen like that. Saban may be very conservative on offense but he's shown that unlike some coaches, he's willing to change when it is best for the team, and his legacy I would add. This is a pretty big decision. We like to play it down so as not to be so much, but really, it may be a program changing decision. Not the starting the game decision, but the longer term choice.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
This game does scare me for a couple of reasons. First, I think Louisville is still viewed nationally as an upper-tier mid-major even though they've been in the ACC for 4 years and haven't won less than 8 games a year during that time. There aren't that many power 5 teams that have won at least 8 games over the last 4 years and only Alabama and LSU have done it in the SEC.

The other thing that scares me is that Petrino seems to be at his best when he is the underdog. Lamar Jackson burst onto scene a couple of years ago and it was only once they reached a top 5 ranking did the wheels come off.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I just read on al.com that UL QB Jawon Pass threw for 342 yards and 3 TD in their spring game. Either he is really good or their Defense is not that great (they say it is better than last year's). He must be decent if Saban tried to recruit him a few years ago.

It will be an interesting game, especially being the season opener with BAMA having new co-ordinators calling plays for the first time. I am confident Saban will have the team prepared, but still think it will be closer than what the experts say. Maybe I will be wrong and we will win by 26 or more !

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I also think it's going to be closer than most folks believe it will be, especially if Saban plays musical qbs, or settles on Hurts

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I feel the same. I downloaded a roster yesterday and realized how young the Alabama team actually is. Traditionally a team replacing as many players as Bama would not be considered to be a favorite to repeat.
I also downloaded a roster and was shocked to see that 52 (64%) of our 81 man roster are freshmen [28(35%)] or sophomores [24(30%]of some ilk. Definitely makes me nervous for opening game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I just read on al.com that UL QB Jawon Pass threw for 342 yards and 3 TD in their spring game. Either he is really good or their Defense is not that great (they say it is better than last year's). He must be decent if Saban tried to recruit him a few years ago.

It will be an interesting game, especially being the season opener with BAMA having new co-ordinators calling plays for the first time. I am confident Saban will have the team prepared, but still think it will be closer than what the experts say. Maybe I will be wrong and we will win by 26 or more !
In what context? Did they go 1s vs. 1s? I kinda doubt it him being a TF.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
In what context? Did they go 1s vs. 1s? I kinda doubt it him being a TF.
Echoing what 91 said above. Pass also has some game experience from last year. So he's seen the field and been in the system for over a year. He's likely decent to above average QB based on most prognosticators. That, coupled with their experience on the outside means that it is crucial A: that our front 7 be very nasty from the word go B: catches don't demoralize the secondary. I think UL will get their touches.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.