Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama vs. Louisville...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Quote from the Ringer article Allie posted in news.....

It’s that now, after years of winning championships with guys like Greg McElroy, A.J. McCarron, and Jacob Coker at quarterback, the Tide actually have the best quarterback in college football under center. What the hell are the other 128 teams supposed to do about that?

Alabama was leading 35-0 when Tagovailoa left. Just like always, they demolished their Week 1 opponent (51-14). The only difference is that instead of slowly strangling their pray, the Tide ripped their still-beating heart out from their chest and ate it.

Welcome to college football in 2018, where Alabama has a Heisman candidate at QB. At least everybody’s deaths will be exciting to watch this time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
My quick thoughts on the game:
Offense- I really thought they were pretty good. We could've easily had 700, 800 yards of total offense. Running game and OL blocking... We have to fix that asap. Teams down the road will see that. Waddle, Smith will be the key to the offense this year. I expect TE to be part of the passing game down the road.

Defense- Gave up 252 yards of passing. Most of that was miscommunication by LBs, especially Mack Wilson. I thought he struggled at time getting everyone in right spot. 16 yards rushing.. We'll be fine in that area. We have to cut passing number down and I think we will.

On Jalen: I think he improve.

There are lot of things we will need to improve before Ole Miss, but I think we'll be fine and adjust.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have a feeling that we will see Saban chewing out a lot of people this year. We have a lot of young guys in leadership positions. The young guys who have only seen and enjoyed the success don't always understand how much work went into the success. The success is the end result, but the hard work and attention to detail is what creates it. We were sloppy last night, and there are definitely things that we need to improve upon to be the team we are capable of being. Coach Saban knows those things and how to get them. We'll see if the guys listen and respond accordingly. I am pleased with the win and always enjoy when I can relax by halftime. I am sad that I am getting old, though. I kept falling asleep in the 3rd quarter and finally just went to bed about half way through the fourth.
I hate to admit it, but I slept away the first eight minutes of the 4th quarter. First time I've ever done that during a Bama game... :)

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm on the fence on this whole postgame issue. On one hand I understand CNS's frustration with having to address the QB situation without really addressing it constantly....

But on the other hand it exists because he's allowing it to exist. Just make it clear that Tua is THE Starter and Jalen is THE Backup....Period.

No more bringing Jalen in for 2-3 Rugby series that completely kill the offensive momentum.

Play Tua like you play a starting QB and bring in Jalen or Mac for Mop-up Duty like you do with a backup.

The Media will keep asking the questions because they are just as perplexed as the rest of mankind on earth.

Tua is Mulitiverses better than Jalen..... You know it, I know it, The reporters know it, The talking heads know it, The Team knows it, opponents and opposing Coaches know it, Tua knows it, Jalen knows it, everybody's Parents, Siblings, Cousins, Nieces, Nephews, Uncles, and Aunt's knows it.....

Quit all this self perpetuated nonsensical drama and it (the questions) will go away.

This is all 100% all on how CNS has honestly been mishandling the whole thing.
Maybe I have a slight "man crush" on Saban. But, everything he does is calculated. He's a gridiron "chess" mastermind. He needs to preserve the chemistry on the team. He has to be shown as being loyal to Hurts (even to a fault). He has to hold off on deciding who the starter is - because he cannot look like he didn't give Hurts a chance to do it. When it's all said and done - there has to be no doubt in anyone's mind (not even Jalen) - who should be the starter.

In the meantime - he has to adopt the persona to be the angry coach that has to make this all happen with the least danger to the team.

I do believe he is that smart. I do believe he is that calculated. We don't have to like it. Ya'll can even bash him for it. But I have no doubt that it's all part of what he thinks needs to happen to win and keep things together.

So - to me, for us to be second guessing him on this -- is wrong. He's earned the right to not be second guessed. Sorry....but he has.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
My quick thoughts on the game:
Offense- I really thought they were pretty good. We could've easily had 700, 800 yards of total offense. Running game and OL blocking... We have to fix that asap. Teams down the road will see that. Waddle, Smith will be the key to the offense this year. I expect TE to be part of the passing game down the road.

Defense- Gave up 252 yards of passing. Most of that was miscommunication by LBs, especially Mack Wilson. I thought he struggled at time getting everyone in right spot. 16 yards rushing.. We'll be fine in that area. We have to cut passing number down and I think we will.

On Jalen: I think he improve.

There are lot of things we will need to improve before Ole Miss, but I think we'll be fine and adjust.
2 things --

I think Jeudy and Damian might disagree with the first .....

And what did you see in Jalen last night that showed improvement? The one where Smith had to come back for the ball on the sideline route?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
His insistence that he's still trying to figure to who should be the starter is what's causing this - not the questions.

He continues to dance around what is painfully obvious to every human who has ever watched and has even an inkling of understanding of football, so he better get used to these questions. To continue to act like he has to bubble wrap JH's feelings instead of answering the exact kind of question every coach is asked in this situation and lashing out at the press is on him, not those asking the questions.

I think Saban is a great coach, but he needs to take it down a notch. He caused this situation, now he has to live with it. Or do what everyone sees is plainly obvious and deal with it.
This. This. This.

He doesn't want these questions? Completely understandable. He's the one that can make them all go away, though.
I'm on the fence on this whole postgame issue. On one hand I understand CNS's frustration with having to address the QB situation without really addressing it constantly....

But on the other hand it exists because he's allowing it to exist. Just make it clear that Tua is THE Starter and Jalen is THE Backup....Period.

No more bringing Jalen in for 2-3 Rugby series that completely kill the offensive momentum.

Play Tua like you play a starting QB and bring in Jalen or Mac for Mop-up Duty like you do with a backup.

The Media will keep asking the questions because they are just as perplexed as the rest of mankind on earth.

Tua is Mulitiverses better than Jalen..... You know it, I know it, The reporters know it, The talking heads know it, The Team knows it, opponents and opposing Coaches know it, Tua knows it, Jalen knows it, everybody's Parents, Siblings, Cousins, Nieces, Nephews, Uncles, and Aunt's knows it.....

Quit all this self perpetuated nonsensical drama and it (the questions) will go away.

This is all 100% all on how CNS has honestly been mishandling the whole thing.
Was amazing how the entire feel of the game just switched when Jalen entered.

My dad called me during the commercial break and asked me what I was thinking. Simply replied "Not surprised we are no longer perfect on third down conversions and the overthrown deep ball was behind the intended WR."

Feel sorry for Jalen. Kid obviously works hard and is trying his best. He's just not improving and happens to be going against a guy on an entirely different level.

As far as the mental mistakes go, I would be curious to know what the staff thinks of the penalties after watching tape. Saw it in the Auburn game and saw it in ours - B1G officials call every tick-tack call possible.

The third quarter seemed to last 90 minutes with all of the stoppages in play.

Credit BVG for blitzing so much early in the game to test a new OL and young QB. Once that stopped, the OL seemed to be able to get their feet under them.

Was a little surprised to see Tosh be slow to bring pressure. Figured he would be more aggressive.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Does everyone want to know why Saban is playing this the way he is? I have already said this but will say again.

For the long term success of this team, Saban has to find out if Jalen is here for 4 games or 15 this year. The only way he gets this answer to surface is by playing Jalen each week until we get to game 5 or Jalen approaches him asking to be redshirted. Once he knows what his true intentions are he can focus on Jalen being #2 or Mac taking that role. This is a very important question. Remember, Saban always has a back up plan and another if that one does not work out. Right now he doesn’t know what the backup plan is because he doesnt know where Jalen’s head is.

Last night was about proving to everyone, team, QBs, media, fans, etc who the better QBs is and he stayed true to his word both would get meaningful reps. Now it transitions into play Jalen at some point each game until he shows his cards. Hopefully, Jalen is all aboard the Bama train and sees he needs to look at other positions if he has NFL potential.

As long as Jalen stays wanting to play QB its Coaches job to teach him up and keep trying to make him a better one. If we get up 3-4 TDs the next two weeks, I dont see an issue with bringing in Jalen for a couple series to keep working him. He is one play away from being our starter and for the long term betterment of the team we need him to keep improving.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Waddle is going to be electric. I heard Jacobs doing a post game ESPN interview and he said Waddle runs the 40 in the legit 4.28-4.3 range.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Deonte will be an All-SEC performer (at minimum) by year’s end but his style is dangerously close to running afoul of the targeting rule. Gotta be careful.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Jalen Hurts was Coach Saban’s starting quarterback for two years, and now he’s been supplanted by his understudy. The respect, honor and grace that Coach Saban is treating Jalen with publicly, is on display to everyone. Though many people would have him disrespect Jalen in order to satisfy their own agendas, Coach is loyal (if nothing else), and will continue to refuse to do so.
I think this goes a long way with other players knowing he will not just throw them under the bus in public when they get replaced by a young gun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Plus, they got it exactly the way that they wanted. So they can play it, over and over, all week, while trying to play the role of the victim.

That is the really sad part.

Some of us are old enough to remember when all of the so-called journalists weren't jerks. A lot were, but not all.
And now we have Paul Finebaum calling Coach "classless". Which is funny coming from that chrome dome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
He definitely could have handled that better. especially in a live interview on national television.. with as much time as they spend with the team and coaches it probably caught her off guard as well

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Predictably, the media is pouncing and using the opportunity of the exchange with Ms. Taylor to bash Saban...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1180341002
Is this an issue because it's "Ms Taylor" and not "Mr" someone else? He's an equal opportunity meanie towards the media. He gave her what he would have given anyone else (except maybe some of the old-timers from CBS or ESPN - Herbstreit, Fowler, Nessler, Danielson). Plus -- it was the third time she asked him basically the same question.....

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
And now we have Paul Finebaum calling Coach "classless". Which is funny coming from that chrome dome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I find it Hilarious that people feel this need to take up for maria taylor like she is made of glass. She is a big girl and she proved she could take the Butt chewing like a champ.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I think hes told reporters the same thing politely over and over and over since the spring. But they just aren't satisfied with the answer so they keep asking it a different way in the hopes of getting Saban to commit. Hes just tired of being nice about it in EVERY interview he conducts every week. Its goonnan a be what its gonna be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
He definitely could have handled that better. especially in a live interview on national television.. with as much time as they spend with the team and coaches it probably caught her off guard as well
He is worth many millions of dollars and has years and years of experience dealing with the media. It is essentially TV money that funds all of this and it would have been as easy to say we will evaluate the game and continue to develop both players to enable them contribute to the team. His performance with the media who are paid pennies relative to him is not one of his most endearing qualities.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.