GameDay Final: Taking stock of Week 1

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I have a recommendation for Coach Saban or anyone who follows him. NEVER, I said NEVER schedule Appalachian State U.!!!!!!!

Now, Coach Urban, I think tOSU needs to schedule Appalachian State U.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I like for the SEC to be strong simply because when Bama wins, our conference record and therefore our overall record looks even better. Like it or not Bama relies on a strong conference slate to bolster our overall strength of schedule. If the SEC loses a lot of these marquee games and has a poor overall record versus other conferences, then Bama’s strength of schedule takes a hit; and that could be detrimental to the selection committee’s final decision.

I don’t root for the SEC because of conference pride or anything like that, but only because it affects Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I like for the SEC to be strong simply because when Bama wins, our conference record and therefore our overall record looks even better. Like it or not Bama relies on a strong conference slate to bolster our overall strength of schedule. If the SEC loses a lot of these marquee games and has a poor overall record versus other conferences, then Bama’s strength of schedule takes a hit; and that could be detrimental to the selection committee’s final decision.

I don’t root for the SEC because of conference pride or anything like that, but only because it affects Bama.

Last year proves SOS doesn’t matter that much anymore.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Last year proves SOS doesn’t matter that much anymore.
I know where you’re coming from, but it doesn’t matter... until it does. No reason to take unnecessary chances. If we drop a game in the regular season I want Bama to have as many indicators in our favor as possible. I don’t want the committee to even have to think about it.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know where you’re coming from, but it doesn’t matter... until it does. No reason to take unnecessary chances. If we drop a game in the regular season I want Bama to have as many indicators in our favor as possible. I don’t want the committee to even have to think about it.

Win the SEC then we are in; be a one loss team then we are more than likely still in. No need to actively cheer for the dwarves, and I can assure you they aren’t actively cheering for us because of conference pride.

Personally I wish we made a deal like ND did and get a contract with a national news company and went independent with a loose contract with a conference.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I’m not so sure about. W should have won handily.
I thought Udub wasted more opportunities. How many times did they get in the redzone to come away with nothing to show for it.

Stat wise, Washington moved the ball better, especially after the first quarter. The only stat that really matters is Auburn put together a great fourth quarter drive to score a TD. It not only got them the win, but it put them over the top of total yardage too.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I thought Udub wasted more opportunities. How many times did they get in the redzone to come away with nothing to show for it.
Stat wise, Washington moved the ball better, especially after the first quarter. The only stat that really matters is Auburn put together a great fourth quarter drive to score a TD. It not only got them the win, but it put them over the top of total yardage too.
I thought the refs played a big part. In the second half, a promising W drive was killed by a marginal (at best) Off PI call. On W's next possession, the refs missed an obvious targeting penalty that would have kept the drive alive.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

Look at 3rd down Stats

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
The SEC has at least four teams (Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU) that are capable of beating any team in the country in a given week. There may be more than that (South Carolina, Miss St, Texas A&M), but they are unproven as of yet. Perhaps not surprising, the worst team in the SEC looks like Tennessee. I just don't see how their offense is going to score enough points to beat anybody.

Based on this weekend, I don't see any other conference with more than 3 elite teams, and I'm not sure any conference has more than two. In the Big Ten, Wisconsin and Ohio St are solid, and I'm not going to write-off Penn St yet even though they struggled. Michigan St and Michigan just are not elite teams. The ACC looks like VA Tech and Clemson and a bunch of average teams. In the Big 12, Oklahoma looks very good and TCU we will find out about in two weeks. West Virginia is probably a threat in conference, but I can't imagine they will be on the national level. The rest of that conference is an unknown. As for the Pac 12, Stanford is probably pretty good and I think Washington is probably pretty good as well. The rest of the conference, who knows.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.