The media freakout about Nick Saban's postgame field interview with Maria Taylor

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
*I would be willing to bet he didn't decide on his own to apologize.

**Why do you think that simply because ESPN requires their reporters to ask certain questions until they get the answer they are wanting hear that coaches are required to appease them? Regardless of whether you like his answers or not. He's given them answers to this same question for months on top of months. It's not like last night was the first time. They just haven't like his answer so they've continue to ask it over and over and over. I don't think they are entitled to to that and I don't they are immune to the consequences of badgering someone with the same question over and over simply because they haven't gotten the answer they want. They want to be in a position to do and say what they want but can't take the heat when someone does the same to them. They want apologies.
Yeah, I don't think media obligations extend to embracing their posteriors to appease them................he should just walk off next time and ignore them

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree 100%. They keep pushing until they get a reaction that gets the most attention.
Exactly. It's all about the dollars. The quicker people realize ESPN stands for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network and stop believing they're some sort of hard-hitting news organization, the quicker they'll understand this is all about the dollars. They literally don't care what the story is, they'll run with it like it's news but it's all about the big E - entertainment.

I stand by my assessment that Saban was (slightly) out of line last night, but this blow-up of the media isn't about 'right or wrong', it's literally about chasing whatever news has people clicking on links and reading articles.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I think when he said "you" he was referring to all reporters and not just the one asking the question. He was very irritated after the game because of all the mistakes and should have ignored the question or just said he was pleased with both guys.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
On the contrary, the issue of the quarterbacks will dominate his next presser. That was guaranteed, even before his last comment.
Respectfully, if there is still a college football fan or reporter on the planet with a question of who might be the starting QB for Alabama in 2018 ... well bless their pea pickin' hearts.

Anyone asking that question after seeing the respective performances last night deserves a shot, and that is probably exactly what they are seeking, an opportunity to dull the shine on the best coach in college football history. CNS made it quite evident he is not going to publically disrespect one of his players, especially a 26-2 starting QB that led the team to two national championship opportunities.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
"If it bleeds, it leads..."

Those who think this is some sort of media creation are wearing your crimson glasses - people all over the football forums were talking about the interview after it happened - the media is just going to run with whatever story is going to get them the most clicks / eyeballs. Follow the dollars - that's literally all it's about.
Agreed, but I don't have any other colors of glasses!

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Respectfully, if there is still a college football fan or reporter on the planet with a question of who might be the starting QB for Alabama in 2018 ... well bless their pea pickin' hearts.

Anyone asking that question after seeing the respective performances last night deserves a shot, and that is probably exactly what they are seeking, an opportunity to dull the shine on the best coach in college football history. CNS made it quite evident he is not going to publically disrespect one of his players, especially a 26-2 starting QB that led the team to two national championship opportunities.
Oh, but the media has already started the "disrespect" angle against Jalen for the way things are going.............saying Jalen is being disrespected by not being given a chance to get ready in case he wants to leave, and that Saban is bullying reporters and media. It's what they do, and one of the main reasons people don't have much respect for them..............a story at any cost

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Oh, but the media has already started the "disrespect" angle against Jalen for the way things are going.............saying Jalen is being disrespected by not being given a chance to get ready in case he wants to leave, and that Saban is bullying reporters and media. It's what they do, and it sells

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
I actually like Maria Taylor and thinks she does a really good on most occasions.

I just find it absurd that anyone would think Coach gave her anything other than the answer AND reaction she & her ESPN producers were looking for. The sports media (especially) creates the news. It no longer reports on it and it involves itself in ways to profit from it. It is especially true of ABC/ESPN. The promulgation of sports sites & sports channels ensures it. They need content so they create narratives and then find the players who will play the necessary parts and then endlessly comment on it.

Again, that said, the optics weren't great even if the answer/reaction was.
They knew the anwser before she asked and the reaction.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Everything would've been OK if she would have asked to "assess the play of the ________ (OL, DL, DBs, Speicial Teams,)", but not the QBs!
Booth review: Saban was in her gril- er, neckline and Herbstreit complimented her for staying in the pocket under duress - wonder who was really on the receiving end of that little meanalysis?

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The interview was laugh out loud funny to me when it happened and all this hullabaloo about it after the fact is even more hilarious. CNS play these guys (and gals) like a fiddle much of the time, sometimes they play along, but fact is he's running this show like a boss and they know it. And guess what - now they're talking about what a jerk Saban is instead of Jalen v Tua. Wake me up when Alabama kicks off next or when Miami actually tackles somebody - whichever comes first.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think CNS was talking to the team last night. He let his players know he's not going to disrespect anyone on national TV. Young people are very sensitive about respect. An earlier post was about how this is really nothing new to get upset about. We need to remember that we've been on top for so long, people are going to come at us every way they can.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I don't think it was all Maria's fault. I believe her bosses told her to ask that question. I don't think Coach meant it directly at Maria, I just think he was sending a message to all the media that he's sick of that question, and to STOP asking him that. JMO

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The whole world is turning into a big old bunch of paper dolls. It's like all of a sudden everyone is sharing one back bone. Frustrating. The man was frustrated and let off a little steam. He didn't criticize her. He did not tell Her anything unprofessional. This is strictly an analysis of his tone. Tone. The man is getting taken through the ringer because he didn't have the appropriate tone. SMH
I agree. I didn't see the interview until yesterday afternoon, but after reading about it everywhere yesterday morning I thought he must have been really bad. He answered an old question very directly. That is all he did. People act like he insulted her and screamed at her and belittled her and bullied her. He was very direct in a curt manner. That is all. I think he does have ridiculous explosions at times in press conferences, but I think he does them on purpose since he has to meet with the media and hear the same old questions asked over and over. I would think meeting with the media twice a week would be plenty. The media says they deserve full access to everything, and they demand it. Then, when they don't like what they see with full, in your face, annoying access, they whine and cry like victims. It's like when these cameramen are constantly trying to take pictures of celebrities until someone snaps and breaks their cameras. They then cry like a victim and want everyone to feel sorry for them, but they don't seem to have any sympathy for the people who constantly have a camera stuck in their faces. As John Cougar Mellencamp once sang, "Calling it your job, Old Hoss, sure don't make it right." Many people seem to expect sympathy for the wrong situations these days. I'm guessing Maria Taylor wasn't offended by it. She probably knows that she brought the situation on herself because she was told to do so and that getting a direct answer just goes with the territory of asking annoying, repetitive questions.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I plan to attend the Nick at Noon luncheon this coming Friday before the Arkansas State game. Supposedly Saban has a QA session for about 20 min.

I am trying to think of a few questions to ask him, but I will not ask him anything about the Quarterbacks ! :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think it happened like this.

Friday night, Urban Meyer calls his old chum Saban.

Urban: Hey Nick, they're really coming down on me in the press. I could use you as a foil again. They love to hate you.

Nick: You have to answer for Courtney, Urban. You fingered Zach Smith for the press.

Urban: Nick, ya got it all wrong....

Nick: Ah, that little farce you played with the text messages? You think you're fooling me?

Urban: Nick, I'm innocent. I swear on the kids.

Saban: Just shut up. Miles is out of the conference. So are Richt. Nutt. Sumlin. Chizik. For that matter, so are you. I've settled all family business, but don't you dare tell me you're innocent. Admit what you did. Only don't tell me that you're innocent. Because it insults my intelligence and it makes me very angry. Now, who approached you first? Barzini or Tattaglia?

Meyer: It was Barzini.

Saban: Ok, that's what I wanted to know. I'm gonna get you out of the news. After we win tomorrow, I'll over-react to whatever question they ask. The press, especially that chrome dome who looks like a used car salesman, will talk about how rude I am. Lacking any sense of proportion, I'll push you right out of the news. And then - just to show I'm the bigger man - I'll apologize.

Urban: Oh, thanks Coach.

Saban: Don't ever call me again the night before a game. Ever. (Click).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.