The media freakout about Nick Saban's postgame field interview with Maria Taylor

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oh boy... Who was worse? Finebaum, Mac, or the guy championing for Mac? I think its odd Mac brought up the 2009 national championship. :rolleyes:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
He mentioned "Colt Got Hurt" as well, never misses an opportunity. And that idiotic skit where he fields questions from the goober gallery while he pretends to still be a coach ... geez.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
He mentioned Colt Got Hurt as well. Never misses.
To be fair, it was at least topical in regards to about what he was speaking.

It's often something like, "Well, this team's facing adversity because their starting linebacker was arrested for burglary. At Texas, we faced adversity when Colt McCoy got hurt." :biggrin2:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Finebaum crying for respect for reporters is laughable given that he advertised for years his own role in getting coaches fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Saban is probably happy they are focusing on this. He doesn’t want the headlines around how unbeatable our offense is or Tua for Heisman..etc. Rat Poison!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This is a screen clip from an article.......I won't post the link because I don't want to give them clicks.

This is the state of people today....

It'll be a shame when all his accomplishments are forgotten and/or removed from the record books because reporters thought he was a big ol mean poop head.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
First, we do want women sports reporters to be treated equally right?

Secondly, if you want to understand Saban's relationship with the media, look no further than what happened in Miami. The media made Saban give them an answer, they made him, hounded him until he gave them one. It was an answer he was not prepared to give, yet they made him give one and then... then later on they crucified him for the answer they made him give.

He's refusing to answer this one. He refused before the game, she kept at it. That's her right, but you keep irritating people and sometimes they get irritated, that's how it works. I mean look at the answer the got out of him earlier, where they ran with his honest answer about Jalen. I imagine he's refusing to say more for the sake of Jalen, and he has a right to be mad. If he says something they'll use it against him or his players.

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Lord this is much ado about nothing. They must not watch many of his pressers because this is far from his worst performance. LOL. I’m still sad at the poor Coke bottle. :wink:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just get the feeling Finebaum looks down on local beat writers who have to follow a scripted presser because he is a national "reporter". I just think he believes that national reporters shouldn't be subject to the same rules about questioning and the same wrath from Saban as the local guys who deviate from the script.

Maria got a snarky answer to begin the game, and she should've known she was probably going to get another one after the game if she asked the same question.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The media will always stick up for their own. I think Coach Saban wants Jalen around as an insurance policy in case Tua gets hurt, so he's trying very hard not to get suckered into making negative comments about Jalen to the media out of fear that Jalen might quit the team if criticized too much.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
First, we do want women sports reporters to be treated equally right?

Secondly, if you want to understand Saban's relationship with the media, look no further than what happened in Miami. The media made Saban gave them an answer, they made him, hounded him until he gave them one. It was an answer he was not prepared to give, yet they made him give one and then... then later on they crucified him for the answer they made him give.

He's refusing to answer this one. He refused before the game, she kept at it. That's her right, but you keep irritating people and sometimes they get irritated, that's how it works. I mean look at the answer the got out of him earlier, where they ran with his honest answer about Jalen. I imagine he's refusing to say more for the sake of Jalen, and he has a right to be mad. If he says something they'll use it against him or his players.
This is basically my thought. Whatever we think he should say he has been very consistent in his messaging and its just not the answer the media wants. Maria Taylor, who I actually like a lot as a sideline reporter, asked the same basic question 3 times in a row and its the same basic question pundits have been asking Saban for months.

Again, his tone was sharp but if you actually read what he said he was very civil about it. The big hubbub is about him saying "So quit asking me." Which I'm fine with because it's been clear for months that hes not going to change his answer.

And like someone else said, it's actually better for the team that the media focus on this instead of how, on the surface, we obliterated the cardinals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTVvKHvSp_o

NOT a new thing, Taylor already irritated him pre-game with the same line of questioning, and to go right back to it postgame was just begging for a response. Quite frankly, I'm sure the media was HOPING for that kind of response, just so they had something to talk about.
Coach Saban better watch out before the media demands a suspension for being sexist to Mariah, the AD is asked to resign, and the school forfeit the opportunity to play postseason for bullying.

Note the lack of blue font.

Also, please remove this post if the admins think I'm being political. After reading/hearing the media's response to his comment yesterday, I feel my statement may fall into reality rather than sarcasm.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Coach Saban better watch out before the media demands a suspension for being sexist to Mariah, the AD is asked to resign, and the school forfeit the opportunity to play postseason for bullying.

Note the lack of blue font.

Also, please remove this post if the admins think I'm being political. After reading/hearing the media's response to his comment yesterday, I feel my statement may fall into reality rather than sarcasm.
Even though you, me, and no one else here will, $10.00 says that someone in the national sports media will try to make the Ms. Taylor/Coach Saban exchange political or racial before it’s all said and done. After all, it’s what they do.

Thankfully and as I expected, Ms. Taylor, being the professional that she is, just blew the whole thing off on her twitter feed and moved on.....

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Coach wants to avoid saying what we see and believe - that one QB is clearly better than the other.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.