Game Thread: Canes vs Corn Dogs (Miami vs LSU)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't read the thread and I'm just now finishing up watching the game on DVR this afternoon after watching the first half last night.

So, what's the general consensus on the Corn Dogs after this game?

Lot's of praise from the ESPN commentators. Burrows definintely is an improvement over the last couple of years, but he's not going to set any QB records. And, I wasn't impressed with Miami at all, on either side of the ball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I haven't read the thread and I'm just now finishing up watching the game on DVR this afternoon after watching the first half last night.

So, what's the general consensus on the Corn Dogs after this game?

Lot's of praise from the ESPN commentators. Burrows definintely is an improvement over the last couple of years, but he's not going to set any QB records. And, I wasn't impressed with Miami at all, on either side of the ball.
Burrows is a 40% passer. Miami losing their star WR on the first drive probably made him 5% better.

I think everyone is going to load the box and expose Burrows. I think anyone with a competent passing game will beat them.

At worst 4-8
At best 8-4
My call 5-7 or 6-6

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Burrows is a 40% passer. Miami losing their star WR on the first drive probably made him 5% better.

I think everyone is going to load the box and expose Burrows. I think anyone with a competent passing game will beat them.

At worst 4-8
At best 8-4
My call 5-7 or 6-6
An Ed O. coached team will lose a few games on that trait alone.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is my take on LSU from the first game. The offense looked just as pedestrian as it has the past decade. Burrow made a few nice throws but overall the offense was more of the same. They are deplete of talent at the RB position. Nick Brosette (sp?) is an average SEC running back and wouldn't get any PT at a school like UGA or Bama. Not hating on the kid but he's nowhere near the talent of LF, Jeremy Hill, etc. Their defense looked pretty good but the pick 6 was thrown directly to the LSU linebacker. Not taking away from the play but that's not likely to repeat itself. In summary:

- LSU had one big run where Miama blitzed both edges and vacated the middle of their defense and LSU ran right up the middle. More of a bad defensive play than good offensive play
- LSU gained 296 yard of offense which is anemic
- One of the big pass plays LSU did complete should've been reviewed because it was incomplete
- The LSU defense looked fast and aggressive. I still think the overall talent level is down a little which will come into play later in the season when teams rely on depth
- Miami was way, way overrated

All of that said I think AU cleans LSU's clock in 2 weeks and LSU struggles to get to 8 wins. Nothing really changed about my perception of LSU other than they played an extremely overrated Miami team and made a few fluky plays which are unlikely to repeat throughout the season..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is my take on LSU from the first game. The offense looked just as pedestrian as it has the past decade. Burrow made a few nice throws but overall the offense was more of the same. They are deplete of talent at the RB position. Nick Brosette (sp?) is an average SEC running back and wouldn't get any PT at a school like UGA or Bama. Not hating on the kid but he's nowhere near the talent of LF, Jeremy Hill, etc. Their defense looked pretty good but the pick 6 was thrown directly to the LSU linebacker. Not taking away from the play but that's not likely to repeat itself. In summary:

- LSU had one big run where Miama blitzed both edges and vacated the middle of their defense and LSU ran right up the middle. More of a bad defensive play than good offensive play
- LSU gained 296 yard of offense which is anemic
- One of the big pass plays LSU did complete should've been reviewed because it was incomplete
- The LSU defense looked fast and aggressive. I still think the overall talent level is down a little which will come into play later in the season when teams rely on depth
- Miami was way, way overrated

All of that said I think AU cleans LSU's clock in 2 weeks and LSU struggles to get to 8 wins. Nothing really changed about my perception of LSU other than they played an extremely overrated Miami team and made a few fluky plays which are unlikely to repeat throughout the season..
I think all the media excitement about LSU is based on comparing them to last year. Do they look more capable than last year at the QB position? Yes, probably.

Many thought that all they needed was a pedestrian QB to make them a contender with all their other talent, but the problem with that this year is Bama, the barn, and UF probably all have gotten much better on offense.

Right now, I still think we'll kill 'em.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only thing that worries me about LSU is our OC losing his head like they have done since 08 when we go down there. We should win by 2-3 scores.
Been thinking about this, so I looked at the numbers since Saban arrived.

Home games (including 2007): Alabama 26-18

Home games (excluding 2007): Alabama 24.4-13.4

Away games: Alabama 19.8-15

Neutral site: 21-0

Amazing that there's that big of a difference in the locations.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Been thinking about this, so I looked at the numbers since Saban arrived.

Home games (including 2007): Alabama 26-18

Home games (excluding 2007): Alabama 24.4-13.4

Away games: Alabama 19.8-15

Neutral site: 21-0

Amazing that there's that big of a difference in the locations.
08- I get this one being close, but not OT close

10- still don’t understand how we lost this one.

12- Nuss trying to win AJ the Heisman instead of running Lacy nearly did us in

14- Kiffin getting too cute, and Les Miles playing dumb

16- this one is probably the hardest to understand

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
08- I get this one being close, but not OT close

10- still don’t understand how we lost this one.

12- Nuss trying to win AJ the Heisman instead of running Lacy nearly did us in

14- Kiffin getting too cute, and Les Miles playing dumb

16- this one is probably the hardest to understand
Dave Aranada being a great DC and having two weeks to dissect Jalen's tape to realize the best way to defend him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think all the media excitement about LSU is based on comparing them to last year. Do they look more capable than last year at the QB position? Yes, probably.

Many thought that all they needed was a pedestrian QB to make them a contender with all their other talent, but the problem with that this year is Bama, the barn, and UF probably all have gotten much better on offense.

Right now, I still think we'll kill 'em.
They do look a little more capable at QB but they've also taken a step back at the skill positions IMO. Nick B, or the other RBs I saw, are not near the level of LF, Guice, Jeremy Hill etc. I'm sure they have some talented WRs but nobody really stood out during the Miami game. Their defense is still good but not great like it used to be. So yes, I think they are a little better at QB but a little worse across the rest of the roster..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They do look a little more capable at QB but they've also taken a step back at the skill positions IMO. Nick B, or the other RBs I saw, are not near the level of LF, Guice, Jeremy Hill etc. I'm sure they have some talented WRs but nobody really stood out during the Miami game. Their defense is still good but not great like it used to be. So yes, I think they are a little better at QB but a little worse across the rest of the roster..
On the Tuesday morning local sports talk radio most of the LSU fans who called in (which are A LOT) were pleased with the outcome but said they still didn't see a championship type team on the field. Many expect to win nine games AT BEST but think reality is they will land between 6-8 wins.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.