Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Seems to point that it would involve more encounters with law enforcement per capita than non black citizens, making it a possible explanation that blacks are 2.5 times more likely to be shot by police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But then why do those "extra" encounters occur?

One might infer that it's all black people's fault if one wanted to infer that.

One might also consider historic and current events that could point to systemic racism as a possible answer.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
But then why do those "extra" encounters occur?

One might infer that it's all black people's fault if one wanted to infer that.

One might also consider historic and current events that could point to systemic racism as a possible answer.
Why do the extra encounters occur? Homicide is a violent crime, police respond to most violent crimes, and that statistic suggests a small amount of the population would receive visits from LEOs under a heightened sense of anxiety and awareness given that they are responding to a violent crime call, thus creating an environment where a civilian could be shot by a police officer.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Why do the extra encounters occur? Homicide is a violent crime, police respond to most violent crimes, and that statistic suggests a small amount of the population would receive visits from LEOs under a heightened sense of anxiety and awareness given that they are responding to a violent crime call, thus creating an environment where a civilian could be shot by a police officer.

You think all these calls and stops involve a homicide? Everyone shot committed homicide? What are you trying to say about the particular people shot vs what you are trying to say about an entire population/race?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You think all these calls and stops involve a homicide? Everyone shot committed homicide? What are you trying to say about the particular people shot vs what you are trying to say about an entire population/race?
I was speaking solely on the two statistics mentioned: 2.5 times more likely to be shot if you're black than if you're white, and that the black population is involved in 52% of the homicides in America while only making up 13% of the population.

It's not realistic to think that the police don't have access to the same information the general public does. It's also not realistic to think that this information doesn't affect police in much the same way it affects members of the black community.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
While I knew starting this thread, hoping it would stay remotely on topic, was hoping for a unicorn, I'm not going to let it devolve into another tit-for-tat argument. Keep it on topic, drop the snarky crap, or I'll hand out suspensions.

Gosh I'm sick of a few of you constantly turning every topic into a stupid snark-fest.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I was speaking solely on the two statistics mentioned: 2.5 times more likely to be shot if you're black than if you're white, and that the black population is involved in 52% of the homicides in America while only making up 13% of the population.

It's not realistic to think that the police don't have access to the same information the general public does. It's also not realistic to think that this information doesn't affect police in much the same way it affects members of the black community.

Do you think there is any way at all to lower both statistics at the same time?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Do you think there is any way at all to lower both statistics at the same time?
Work on some sort of personality test to weed out the power abusers in the police community and in the hiring process. Bad things and accidents will happen regardless, but you don't need D bags making it worse in regards to everyday dealing with police.

As far as the public in general I think it should be reinforced that the LEO is in charge of the situation. I think if people would start their thought process with the idea of following instructions and being non confrontational that some of these situations could be avoided. Cops don't know most of the people they protect and when a situation becomes confrontational even innocent actions become suspicious for a person whose occupation is inherently dangerous.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He turned down a trade to the Broncos and his girlfriend made a disrespectful tweet about Ray Lewis and the Raven's ownership. No franchise wants to deal with that kind of headache for a mediocre quarterback (his career high in passing touchdowns is 21). You combine that with Nike keeping him under contract and it seems likely that making it appear he was blackballed from the NFL was the ultimate goal.

Now if the owners were stupid enough to put out some sort of correspondence that is recorded, all bets are off.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Work on some sort of personality test to weed out the power abusers in the police community and in the hiring process. Bad things and accidents will happen regardless, but you don't need D bags making it worse in regards to everyday dealing with police.

As far as the public in general I think it should be reinforced that the LEO is in charge of the situation. I think if people would start their thought process with the idea of following instructions and being non confrontational that some of these situations could be avoided. Cops don't know most of the people they protect and when a situation becomes confrontational even innocent actions become suspicious for a person whose occupation is inherently dangerous.

Will this reduce murder rates? Overall interactions with police?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Will this reduce murder rates? Overall interactions with police?
I would hope it would reduce interactions where somebody was hurt unintentionally. Not every interaction with the police is bad.

Reducing murder rates would take a fairly large philosophical shift across America that probably won't happen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I think these are constructive comments and suggestions.

I would like to hear from anyone who disagrees.

Otherwise.....how do we make this happen?

Kap is washed up. He got benched for not producing ANYTHING. He was like 3-16 in his last 19 games. Once they figured out he couldn’t throw that was it for him. He was lucky the Broncos was there for him and he still said no. He tested the waters and drowned. This was basically before all the kneeling stuff. Why would any team want a QB who can’t throw?

Sent from my iPad[emoji208]

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Kap is washed up. He got benched for not producing ANYTHING. He was like 3-16 in his last 19 games. Once they figured out he couldn’t throw that was it for him. He was lucky the Broncos was there for him and he still said no. He tested the waters and drowned. This was basically before all the kneeling stuff. Why would any team want a QB who can’t throw?

Sent from my iPad[emoji208]
While I’m not one of these guys who believe Kap was this great QBs that his supporters like to believe, and I do have my reservations on whether this protests were 100% driven on the cause over the fact that Gabbert started the season, I do think he is better than 40% of the QBs that are starting now. I think a huge problem in his last year was due Chip Kelly. I certainly believe he is better than 90% of the backups in the NFL.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
While I’m not one of these guys who believe Kap was this great QBs that his supporters like to believe, and I do have my reservations on whether this protests were 100% driven on the cause over the fact that Gabbert started the season, I do think he is better than 40% of the QBs that are starting now. I think a huge problem in his last year was due Chip Kelly. I certainly believe he is better than 90% of the backups in the NFL.
I'd love to have him as the Falcons back up though I am certain the Sark would make him look terrible anyway

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd love to have him as the Falcons back up though I am certain the Sark would make him look terrible anyway
TBH idk why the Bills wouldn't look at him. They shouldn't be throwing that rookie to the wolves the way they are IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
As expected - Nike stock is now at an all-time high:

As I said in the OP: "Props to Nike - no matter how people feel about CK, this is a slick advertising move."
Considering Nike was within roughly 1% of their ATH when the announcement was made it's not that surprising. Considering that the market in general is hovering around ATH it's pretty common for company's like Nike to be at ATHs also. The fiscal benefits or drawbacks from this campaign won't be known until at least 6 months down the road when Nike has their quarterly earning reports..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Considering Nike was within roughly 1% of their ATH when the announcement was made it's not that surprising. Considering that the market in general is hovering around ATH it's pretty common for company's like Nike to be at ATHs also. The fiscal benefits or drawbacks from this campaign won't be known until at least 6 months down the road when Nike has their quarterly earning reports..
Sure, but I posted this in response to the naysayers who claimed this would be a terrible move for the company, pointing to the short term losses from the investors who are scared of anything that rocks the boat.

That said, I'll bet dollars to donuts that post Xmas, NKEs numbers will be astonishingly good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.