Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign - Page 3
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    Here they come with their passive aggressive comments directed at you.

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Anyone with a business mind completely understands why Nike is doing this. Nike markets to kids/young adults. I remember hearing a report last year or maybe the year before stating the last generation where whites were the majority are now officially "adults", and the generation where whites aren't the majority were/are now entering junior high and highschool.

Whether it's uncomfortable or not, PC or not is irrelevant. In general, there are A LOT of people with brown skin who support Kaep. Nike is marketing to this demographic with the slant of "Social justice"/"Stand up for something even if it cost you everything" and I think it's brilliant. Let's be honest, if Nike didn't think there was money to be made would they do it? Nope. Would they invest the amount of money they are about to invest? Nope. Because from my understanding (heard this on CBS Sports Radio this morning) Nike is rolling out a complete sports line (clothing, shoes etc.) brand using Kaep as the face and the underlying theme of "Stand up for something even if it cost you everything".
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Shouldn't the tag line be: Stand up for something even if it gets you a major Nike endorsement?
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Anyone with a business mind completely understands why Nike is doing this. Nike markets to kids/young adults. I remember hearing a report last year or maybe the year before stating the last generation where whites were the majority are now officially "adults", and the generation where whites aren't the majority were/are now entering junior high and highschool.

Whether it's uncomfortable or not, PC or not is irrelevant. In general, there are A LOT of people with brown skin who support Kaep. Nike is marketing to this demographic with the slant of "Social justice"/"Stand up for something even if it cost you everything" and I think it's brilliant. Let's be honest, if Nike didn't think there was money to be made would they do it? Nope. Would they invest the amount of money they are about to invest? Nope. Because from my understanding (heard this on CBS Sports Radio this morning) Nike is rolling out a complete sports line (clothing, shoes etc.) brand using Kaep as the face and the underlying theme of "Stand up for something even if it cost you everything".
    Thanks for the Demographic info. I heard the same and that Adidas and one other of the major brands were already trying to pick up CK and forced Nike to act. Don't quite know where the downside would be for Nike to do this. Excellent analysis from a business standpoint.

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

If Nike really concerned about the senseless death of Blacks in this country they can start by substantially reducing the price of their shoes.

It seemed as though everybody wanted to “be like Mike.” Children and adults alike aspired to leap from the free throw and dunk with their tongue hanging out or win six NBA Championship titles. But for those who weren’t 6’6” and drafted by the Chicago Bulls, like most people, they had to buy Michael Jordan’s shoes if they wanted to be like him. With the rise of sneaker culture came a violent side-effect: the fact that people are willing to harm and even kill others for a pair of coveted Jordan sneakers.

LINK
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

BamaNation All-SEC tide power fan's Avatar

It's cost them 3 billion today.

Quote Originally Posted by tide power fan View Post
    It's cost them 3 billion today.
    Nah, Nike is valued at some $35 billion and the've lost whopping 2% of their stock value today.

What's more is they'll make up more than double that in no time as the stock prices will track sales.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nikes...131301863.html

“Will there be people who stop buying Nike because of this? Yes,” says Brian Cristiano, CEO of ad agency Bold Worldwide. “But there will also be others who use this as an excuse to buy another jersey or pair of sneakers. Regardless of how loud the keyboard warriors and voices opposed to Kaepernick get, Nike will remain standing at the end of it all. And as they say, no press is bad press.”

Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing expert with Baker Street Advertising, echoes a similar tone. “Yes, it will alienate consumers—just look at the Twitter reaction already,” he says. “But the attention it will gain, the publicity, the media discourse, the incredible reaction will far outweigh any loss of business that might result. For every swoosh that’s lost, one or more will be gained.”
    It's a brilliant business decision that will keep Nike at the top of the sports-merchandise heap for a long time...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post

I basically thought much of the same thing when I first heard the news. It may pay off long term.

One thing though is a lot of parents buy Nike products for their kids. Many of these parents my decide to look elsewhere and get their kids hooked on some other brand.

For me, once I find a shoe that fits, functions, and lasts the way I like it, I don't usually look to change (basketball, running, tennis and racquetball). I tried a Nike basketball shoe a long time ago and I didn't like it so I've never bought another Nike shoe of any kind. From a marketing standpoint, if anyone switches from Nike or tries a non-Nike shoe and like what they found, they may not buy a Nike shoe for a long time. This is one area that may backfire on Nike's long-term plan. I don't think I fit the big dollar purchaser that Nike is after anyway.

I think the demographic they are going after is the kids/young adults as you mention but includes whites just as much as non-whites.
    Last edited by day-day; September 4th, 2018 at 03:00 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMom2Boys's Avatar
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Dr. King should've inked a deal with a suit maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-SEC tide power fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Nah, Nike is valued at some $35 billion and the've lost whopping 2% of their stock value today.

What's more is they'll make up more than double that in no time as the stock prices will track sales.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nikes...131301863.html

It's a brilliant business decision that will keep Nike at the top of the sports-merchandise heap for a long time...
    It's down 2.34 per share times 14,979,897 Volume, If you believe in it should be a good day to buy

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

It's down 2.34 per share times 14,979,897 Volume, If you believe in it should be a good day to buy
    It'll go back up when all these goofballs realize how stupid it is to tear up their own clothes and go buy replacements.

Nah, I don't buy stocks like this.

But I'll bet dollars to donuts it'll be trading higher before Jan 1, 2019.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius