Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I basically thought much of the same thing when I first heard the news. It may pay off long term.

One thing though is a lot of parents buy Nike products for their kids. Many of these parents my decide to look elsewhere and get their kids hooked on some other brand.

For me, once I find a shoe that fits, functions, and lasts the way I like it, I don't usually look to change (basketball, running, tennis and racquetball). I tried a Nike basketball shoe a long time ago and I didn't like it so I've never bought another Nike shoe of any kind. From a marketing standpoint, if anyone switches from Nike or tries a non-Nike shoe and like what they found, they may not buy a Nike shoe for a long time. This is one area that may backfire on Nike's long-term plan. I don't think I fit the big dollar purchaser that Nike is after anyway.

I think the demographic they are going after is the kids/young adults as you mention but includes whites just as much as non-whites.
No doubt, they're not going to turn down someone wanting to buy their product. But they are going to market it to the tastes of the majority of their target market. Much like your local grocery store. If you go to a grocery store, it is setup to cater to those in the area.

Funny, but true story. I am an avid bbq'er (aka "BBQ Snob") and am very picky about certain things when it comes to the meat I decide to smoke. One of those "certain things" is when I cook pork ribs I like cooking the whole untrimmed spare rib. I do not like buying ribs that have already been trimmed. For me to consistently get the whole, untrimmed spares that I like smoking. I have to go to a grocery store in a part of town that is predominantly black. "Predominantly black" meaning I'm the only white thang up in there. LOL! Every time I go in they already know what I want and call back to the back before I even get back there telling them I'm coming! LOL! Great service. But, the grocery stores in the area of town I live (which is predominantly white) do not carry the whole spares. Because people in that area do not buy them. They prefer St. Louis trimmed spare or the baby backs. Which is common with white folks. Just not this white boy. ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I buy a pair of shoes and wear them until my wife makes me a new pair. I look for ones that look nice, fit well, and don’t cost too much. If Nike meets those criteria next time, that’s what I will buy.

I wonder if all good Americans in Alabama will burn all their Crimson Tide Nike jerseys now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
My only problem is the slogan. What did he sacrifice? It wasn't his career. He's not playing because he was a poor QB, not because of the protest. If it was the protest then many other players would be out of a job.
LOL. He started way more games in the NFL than AJ ever sniffed, but half the board acts like AJ deserves to be in the NFL. Kaepernick made it in the NFL. That's a pretty great feat for a QB. He got blackballed due to this protest, and I'm pretty confident his court case will show that. That's what he sacrificed.

EDIT. And props to him for keeping the conversation going. This is a problem in the US and we need to address it.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I've got a couple of Nike shirts that my wife would like to burn; they are pretty rank.

I wonder how much the markets in Europe and Asia affect Nike's decision as well. Many of these people believe the narrative of the United States being so oppressive to non-whites. I'm sure Nike is looking to increase market share worldwide over Adidas, Puma, and others. The younger crowd everywhere is always somewhat on the rebellious side.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
no doubt it was his career. dude put up decent numbers with San Fran, who at the time had one of if not the worst group of WR's in the NFL..

My only problem is the slogan. What did he sacrifice? It wasn't his career. He's not playing because he was a poor QB, not because of the protest. If it was the protest then many other players would be out of a job.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
no doubt it was his career. dude put up decent numbers with San Fran, who at the time had one of if not the worst group of WR's in the NFL..
Stop it with that nonsense. Don’t you know NFL QB’s are supposed to be white and stand for the national anthem?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I don’t know your background, but I’ll draw on my experience growing up
in small town Alabama and pretty much guarantee a large % of the shade thrown toward CK is due to racism.
I'm sure there's some of that. And I'm sure there's a lot of people who just disagree with him and don't really care that what his race is. Maybe not everything is racist. Maybe things should be judged on their own merits.

(As an aside, is this a thread were one's personal experience counts for something? 'Cause in other threads - like ones dealing with economics and the government inefficiency - my personal (educational and professional) experience is not deemed relevant by the blue tribe. Uneducated opinions are deemed just as worthy. I've always found that a curious strategy from the crowd that thinks them so much smarter than everyone else.)

Anywho, how much racism is involved here? Colin is a predominately white guy who was raised in an upper middle class white famliy in rural/suburbia. So, say about 30-40% on the racism scale? Is that fair? I just want to calibrate my outrage appropriately.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Anywho, how much racism is involved here? Colin is a predominately white guy who was raised in an upper middle class white famliy in rural/suburbia. So, say about 30-40% on the racism scale? Is that fair? I just want to calibrate my outrage appropriately.
[blue font]Sounds about as authentically black as Obama.[/blue font]

Make of that what you will. I wish people were just Americans and not hung up on color but maybe that’s cause I’m pasty white, or pink or salmon.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He got blackballed due to this protest, and I'm pretty confident his court case will show that.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ay-lewis-colin-kaepernick-20170905-story.html

That story, combined with refusing the trade to the Broncos (he would probably still be starting there with the nonsense they've gone through at quarterback) paints a pretty good picture of a guy who doesn't want to play football. There's no telling how long this campaign has been in the works.

So let's summarize: the black guy, raised by white people, protests racial Injustice at the hands of white people, gets a lucrative contract and clothing line from a company who uses low wage workers to make their clothes, to sell to the people being oppressed so the rich white people who are oppressing people of color get even richer. Diabolical.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ay-lewis-colin-kaepernick-20170905-story.html

That story, combined with refusing the trade to the Broncos (he would probably still be starting there with the nonsense they've gone through at quarterback) paints a pretty good picture of a guy who doesn't want to play football. There's no telling how long this campaign has been in the works.

So let's summarize: the black guy, raised by white people, protests racial Injustice at the hands of white people, gets a lucrative contract and clothing line from a company who uses low wage workers to make their clothes, to sell to the people being oppressed so the rich white people who are oppressing people of color get even richer. Diabolical.

So is there the smallest degree of truth to his message as you understand it?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
So let's summarize: the black guy, raised by white people, protests racial Injustice at the hands of white people, gets a lucrative contract and clothing line from a company who uses low wage workers to make their clothes, to sell to the people being oppressed so the rich white people who are oppressing people of color get even richer.
Diabolical
To add to the summary: And the supporters of rich white people that are oppressing people of color are more interested in putting down the black guy that their racist rich white leader is using as a distraction from his own criminality and using the low wage workers as political points rather than caring about stopping the rich white people from oppressing people of color in the first place.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.