Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So is there the smallest degree of truth to his message as you understand it?
I don't agree with his method of protest.

You have to understand my view of this. I work at a job that trains you at $31k a year, with a base starting salary of $50k when you qualify. It takes sacrifice, but there are a considerable amount of Black Americans out here with me making the same sacrifices, and money, that I make. My company is always hiring.

I see people with two jobs busting their rears to improve their station, and they are. I see people moving their entire families to get better paying jobs. I know immigrants with work permits who pay taxes and live here legally.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I see enough upward movement by people of color, and enough poor white people, to think that this government is intentionally keeping just people of color down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
To add to the summary: And the supporters of rich white people that are oppressing people of color are more interested in putting down the black guy that their racist rich white leader is using as a distraction from his own criminality and using the low wage workers as political points rather than caring about stopping the rich white people from oppressing people of color in the first place.
It didn't take long for you to bring in Trump, did it? Nevermind that a company is capitalizing off a legitimate social concern by using a fake figurehead, WHAT ABOUT TRUMP?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It didn't take long for you to bring in Trump, did it? Nevermind that a company is capitalizing off a legitimate social concern by using a fake figurehead, WHAT ABOUT TRUMP?

Maybe Nike can make Trump some orange jumpsuits, he's going to need some.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't agree with his method of protest.

You have to understand my view of this. I work at a job that trains you at $31k a year, with a base starting salary of $50k when you qualify. It takes sacrifice, but there are a considerable amount of Black Americans out here with me making the same sacrifices, and money, that I make. My company is always hiring.

I see people with two jobs busting their rears to improve their station, and they are. I see people moving their entire families to get better paying jobs. I know immigrants with work permits who pay taxes and live here legally.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I see enough upward movement by people of color, and enough poor white people, to think that this government is intentionally keeping just people of color down.

I appreciate your candid response. I think you answered the question?

It seems the method of speaking or protesting and the messenger are getting attacked more than the message itself, so it's difficult to tell at times. This has become the norm in politics and grows worse over time. It's quite effective rhetorically but does little in the short or long term to solve problems as the message gets little discussion. Politicians of al stripes use these methods to distract. We tend to fall for it.

If your opinion is that there is zero truth to his message then I disagree. The reasons are numerous. Most are pretty well documented. I once shared views similar to yours but I've seen too much.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It doesn't take long to bring Trump into the situation considering he intentionally put himself into it and is one of the main people bringing it back to national attention over and over. If you're going to summarize the situation, then don't leave out key ingredients next time, maybe?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
From this AM's email list I'm on:

Nike knew this was coming.

After former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick revealed he would be featured in Nike's 30th anniversary "Just Do It" campaign, social media erupted with messages calling to #BoycottNike.

At the close of the trading day, shares were down 3.2%. With all this in mind, let's break down Nike's move.

First, let's agree that Kaepernick is a polarizing choice for an ad campaign

Remember: In 2016, Kaepernick began sitting during the national anthem to protest racial injustice and police brutality. Some respected the decision, while others found it offensive to the U.S. flag and the military.
More players followed Kaepernick's lead, and the issue continues to be a subject of intense debate—from your group chat to the president of the U.S.

Zoom out: Usually, companies would try to steer clear of hot-button topics. But by selecting Kaepernick to appear in ads and on billboards, Nike clearly wants to insert itself in the conversation.

Here's the bet Nike's making

These days, being overtly political could be a less risky strategy than staying on the sidelines. That's especially the case when trying to attract young Gen Z-ers who support brands that take political stances.

What a Nike exec told ESPN:
"We believe Colin is one of the most inspirational athletes of this generation, who has leveraged the power of sport to help move the world forward."

The campaign is targeting 15- to 17-year-olds.

The view from Wall Street:
Firms mostly stayed quiet, but Oppenheimer analyst Brian Nagel wrote that the decision "will spur significant debate among those in athletic circles and more broadly"...but over time, "we think the power of the messaging from this new broader campaign is apt to overshadow any potential backlash."

So far, it could be working: Apex Marketing Group says Nike received more than $43 million worth of media exposure in less than 24 hours following the announcement, per Bloomberg.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I wish more people would do something productive with their time so that some benefit could be derived. There's far too much vanity in the outrage.
Indeed. Part of the echo chamber internet. Outrage Likes > Doing something good

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wish more people would do something productive with their time so that some benefit could be derived. There's far too much vanity in the outrage.
Yah, it's hilarious how any people brag about how they haven't watched an NFL game in ________ (time) because of the kneeling. Literally not one of those who say this have bought anything officially licensed by the NFL in decades, haven't been to a game, and none of them are Nielsen reporters. So outside of the outrage in their den they have literally zero impact on the NFL - the NFL doesn't even know they exist.

The same will be true for Nike.

This was a genius move - wading waist-deep into the turmoil knowing that via clever marketing (at which Nike excels) they can lock up a generation of sportswear buyers at a young age.

People need to realize that Nike is a massively successful business not because of its politics - they're simply using this political hot-potato to extend their market stake.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This. People need to be careful not to assign any sort of benevolent motive to Nike here. Their motive is profit, pure and simple.
They have gotten much more publicity than if they had done an ad with Lebron James or Tom Brady.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.