Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Re: Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I basically thought much of the same thing when I first heard the news. It may pay off long term.

One thing though is a lot of parents buy Nike products for their kids. Many of these parents my decide to look elsewhere and get their kids hooked on some other brand.

For me, once I find a shoe that fits, functions, and lasts the way I like it, I don't usually look to change (basketball, running, tennis and racquetball). I tried a Nike basketball shoe a long time ago and I didn't like it so I've never bought another Nike shoe of any kind. From a marketing standpoint, if anyone switches from Nike or tries a non-Nike shoe and like what they found, they may not buy a Nike shoe for a long time. This is one area that may backfire on Nike's long-term plan. I don't think I fit the big dollar purchaser that Nike is after anyway.

I think the demographic they are going after is the kids/young adults as you mention but includes whites just as much as non-whites.
    No doubt, they're not going to turn down someone wanting to buy their product. But they are going to market it to the tastes of the majority of their target market. Much like your local grocery store. If you go to a grocery store, it is setup to cater to those in the area.

Funny, but true story. I am an avid bbq'er (aka "BBQ Snob") and am very picky about certain things when it comes to the meat I decide to smoke. One of those "certain things" is when I cook pork ribs I like cooking the whole untrimmed spare rib. I do not like buying ribs that have already been trimmed. For me to consistently get the whole, untrimmed spares that I like smoking. I have to go to a grocery store in a part of town that is predominantly black. "Predominantly black" meaning I'm the only white thang up in there. LOL! Every time I go in they already know what I want and call back to the back before I even get back there telling them I'm coming! LOL! Great service. But, the grocery stores in the area of town I live (which is predominantly white) do not carry the whole spares. Because people in that area do not buy them. They prefer St. Louis trimmed spare or the baby backs. Which is common with white folks. Just not this white boy.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I buy a pair of shoes and wear them until my wife makes me a new pair. I look for ones that look nice, fit well, and donít cost too much. If Nike meets those criteria next time, thatís what I will buy.

I wonder if all good Americans in Alabama will burn all their Crimson Tide Nike jerseys now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

My only problem is the slogan. What did he sacrifice? It wasn't his career. He's not playing because he was a poor QB, not because of the protest. If it was the protest then many other players would be out of a job.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    My only problem is the slogan. What did he sacrifice? It wasn't his career. He's not playing because he was a poor QB, not because of the protest. If it was the protest then many other players would be out of a job.
    LOL. He started way more games in the NFL than AJ ever sniffed, but half the board acts like AJ deserves to be in the NFL. Kaepernick made it in the NFL. That's a pretty great feat for a QB. He got blackballed due to this protest, and I'm pretty confident his court case will show that. That's what he sacrificed.

EDIT. And props to him for keeping the conversation going. This is a problem in the US and we need to address it.
    Last edited by 2003TIDE; September 4th, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I've got a couple of Nike shirts that my wife would like to burn; they are pretty rank.

I wonder how much the markets in Europe and Asia affect Nike's decision as well. Many of these people believe the narrative of the United States being so oppressive to non-whites. I'm sure Nike is looking to increase market share worldwide over Adidas, Puma, and others. The younger crowd everywhere is always somewhat on the rebellious side.

BamaNation All-American

no doubt it was his career. dude put up decent numbers with San Fran, who at the time had one of if not the worst group of WR's in the NFL..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    no doubt it was his career. dude put up decent numbers with San Fran, who at the time had one of if not the worst group of WR's in the NFL..
    Stop it with that nonsense. Don’t you know NFL QB’s are supposed to be white and stand for the national anthem?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

The nonsense is the political tribalism in this thread. Hilarious!
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    The nonsense is the political tribalism in this thread. Hilarious!
    I LOL’d at the social tone deafness and the racist undertones. Hilarious!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    I LOL’d at the social tone deafness and the racist undertones. Hilarious!
    Everything is racist. Everything. LOL
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I don’t know your background, but I’ll draw on my experience growing up
    in small town Alabama and pretty much guarantee a large % of the shade thrown toward CK is due to racism.