Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign - Page 8
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Worthy read for some folks...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    You don't get to tell people how to receive the message you send.

Honestly, there were about 150 million Americans treating other Americans of different race appropriately way before he started his protests.

As far as I'm concerned the American flag represents far more amazing people than trash, and not standing for the Anthem is judging many over the actions of a few. Sounds like stereotyping to me.
    Well, you can lead a horse to water...

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Honestly, there were about 150 million Americans treating other Americans of different race appropriately way before he started his protests.

As far as I'm concerned the American flag represents far more amazing people than trash, and not standing for the Anthem is judging many over the actions of a few. Sounds like stereotyping to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

You're missing the point completely here - no one is telling you how you should feel (Mr. Boyer himself refuses to participate), it's simply a clear explanation as to why it's happening.

You can be angry that the sun rose this morning, but that doesn't change why it rose.

Just shared this as so many here are so wrapped up in this story and seemingly missing the entire point of it. Want to be angry because you're missing the intent of the protest? By all means, that's as much your right as it's his to protest. But it's projection (at best) to suggest anyone is trying to force you to receive the message in any way.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    So you're taking your experiences with people in small town Alabama and projecting them on to people across the country who you've never met simply because their skin color is the same as those in your experiences in small town Alabama?
    Yes, they are.

"It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/nike-...otlight-2018-9

Just in case you have shared the Pat Tillman Nike meme, you should know that his wife doesnít want you doing that.

I covered that when it was posted on the meme thread. Pretty standard for GOP to trash a war hero I guess..

Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

You're missing the point completely here - no one is telling you how you should feel (Mr. Boyer himself refuses to participate), it's simply a clear explanation as to why it's happening.

You can be angry that the sun rose this morning, but that doesn't change why it rose.

Just shared this as so many here are so wrapped up in this story and seemingly missing the entire point of it. Want to be angry because you're missing the intent of the protest? By all means, that's as much your right as it's his to protest. But it's projection (at best) to suggest anyone is trying to force you to receive the message in any way.
    Countless times you hear," It's not the military, it's the Injustice. It's not every police officer, it's the inequality." If you have to correct or explain your protest I think the method of protest is a little off. The boycotts and sit ins of the Civil Rights Movement needed no explanation or clarification.

Countless times you hear," It's not the military, it's the Injustice. It's not every police officer, it's the inequality." If you have to correct or explain your protest I think the method of protest is a little off. The boycotts and sit ins of the Civil Rights Movement needed no explanation or clarification.

umm.

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

People have willfully ignored and / or distorted the reasons behind protests as long as there have been protests. As 92 clearly showed above, it's white-washing history to suggest the CRM was immediately understood by white people. In fact, they were constantly accused of any number of nasty things for simply (and peacefully) asking for equality.

People of color block streets, start fires, ransack and loot and people understandably suggest this is not how you promote your message. Now we have a man of color kneeling during the anthem - as peaceful protest as one could ever desire - and he's castigated for it. How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Worthy read for some folks...
    But he was raised by white people, so there.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
    The message has been made clear over and over: they shouldn't. Whether we're talking about women, blacks, gays, etc., the privileged majority always patronizes minorities from a selfish and ignorant perch. Women with political opinions made men uncomfortable, so they were demonized. Blacks deigning to send their kids to well-funded schools made whites uncomfortable, so they were lynched. Gays who wanted to hold hands on the sidewalk made straight people uncomfortable, so they were murdered.

The privileged majority always says just keep your head down and don't provoke, as if avoidance has ever solved a problem of significance. It's the same cycle over and over, and it's obvious who falls on the right side of this current incarnation, and who falls on the wrong one.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

People have willfully ignored and / or distorted the reasons behind protests as long as there have been protests. As 92 clearly showed above, it's white-washing history to suggest the CRM was immediately understood by white people. In fact, they were constantly accused of any number of nasty things for simply (and peacefully) asking for equality.

People of color block streets, start fires, ransack and loot and people understandably suggest this is not how you promote your message. Now we have a man of color kneeling during the anthem - as peaceful protest as one could ever desire - and he's castigated for it. How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    The message has been made clear over and over: they shouldn't. Whether we're talking about women, blacks, gays, etc., the privileged majority always patronizes minorities from a selfish and ignorant perch. Women with political opinions made men uncomfortable, so they were demonized. Blacks deigning to send their kids to well-funded schools made whites uncomfortable, so they were lynched. Gays who wanted to hold hands on the sidewalk made straight people uncomfortable, so they were murdered.

The privileged majority always says just keep your head down and don't provoke, as if avoidance has ever solved a problem of significance. It's the same cycle over and over, and it's obvious who falls on the right side of this current incarnation, and who falls on the wrong one.

How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
    How about not picking a symbol that represents far more good than bad?

There are specific examples of of brutality and inequality, put them on a shirt. He's made a ton of money off this, I'm sure he can swing it. Capernick is photographed a lot. People will Google it, much like they Googled Tim Tebow's eye black. Awareness will be raised. Kneeling for the Anthem has polarized him, the reactions are either positive or negative. Nobody is curious or on the fence regarding him.