Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've never been focused on any particular brand with athletic wear, price and comfort were my priorities. But, the next pair of tennis shoes I buy will be Nike.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Nike’s selection of Colin Kaepernick as one of the new faces of the company has certainly brought media attention and controversy, but it’s also having a noticeable effect on the bottom line.

A new report from Edison Trends says Nike’s online sales grew 31% from Sunday through Tuesday of Labor Day weekend this year. That’s notably better than last year’s 17% seasonal increase.

“There was speculation that the Nike/Kaepernick campaign would lead to a drop in sales but the data does not support that theory,” the company said in a statement.
Colin Kaepernick Campaign Gives Nike a Big Sales Boost

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
These folks aren't high on Nike:
https://goodonyou.eco/how-ethical-is-nike/

Though Nike has successfully improved its reputation and has become the top-selling activewear brand in the world, many of its practices are still problematic. Worse still, Nike has recently taken a big step backwards. In March, the International Labor Rights Forum reported that Nike has turned its back on its commitment to the Worker Rights Consortium (WRC), which effectively blocks labor rights experts from independently monitoring Nike’s supplier factories. Nike was given a score of 36 out of 100 in Fashion Revolution’s 2017 Fashion Transparency Index, indicating that the company does not make enough information public about its environmental and social practices.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...rsity-commitments_us_58deba30e4b0d804fbbb72b7

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
im not really sure how we as a group can pretend to care about the people who play football for alabama, and not acknowledge that if youre 17 and black you're terrified of being pulled over. or that 92% of the student body of Jefferson Davis High School is black and many of those kids are economically forced to go to school there. If youre black, go to Jeff Davis, and you see the things on the news, would you think america loved you or cared about you or valued you equally? Kaep is right and the argument about "how he protested" was specifically designed to distract from the original point he brought up. It's time to start really caring about black people and not just cheering on the really athletic ones as long as they dont get arrested.

Last edited:

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I was pulled over in my teens, twenties and thirties. I always kept my hands in view and said yes sir/ma’am or no sir/ma’am. It isn’t hard to not get shot by a cop but the bigotry of low expectations wants us to believe young blacks can’t avoid being shot.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I was pulled over in my teens, twenties and thirties. I always kept my hands in view and said yes sir/ma’am or no sir/ma’am. It isn’t hard to not get shot by a cop but the bigotry of low expectations wants us to believe young blacks can’t avoid being shot.
So you think blacks get shot because they're not respectful, then accuse others of being bigoted? Right. You're so willfully unaware of your own privilege, it's amazing you can navigate everyday life.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
So you think blacks get shot because they're not respectful, then accuse others of being bigoted? Right. You're so willfully unaware of your own privilege, it's amazing you can navigate everyday life.
If only blacks could avoid the bigotry of low expectations by being respectful then they wouldn't get killed by those sweet policemen.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I used to be firmly in the kneeling protest was stupid and disrespectful but I’ve changed my tune. The protest didn’t change it. Protesters didn’t change it. Media heads didn’t change it. What did? Simply telling stories and making connections thru those stories. I had never heard that Colin talked to a service man before he knelt. I don’t remember Tebow kneeling in protest over abortion. Once I saw those two stories and made the connection I’ve softened my stance.

On another note, Nike’s advertisers are brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He deserved to get shot for sitting around his home minding his own business while black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
lets talk about rational and irrational fears.

Being afraid of clowns is an irrational fear, though millions and millions of people suffer from it.

Being afraid to jump out of a plane with a parachute on is a rational fear.

What if i told you, a higher percentage of black people died from force by the police than skydivers that choose to jump out of a plane?

Its true. 21 people out of 3 million died from skydiving in 2017. 0.007%. 287 black people out of 37 million in the us died from the police in 2017. 0.0076%

That means that if being pulled over by the police scares the living daylights out of a black kid, he's statistically justified of his RATIONAL fear. We have to acknowledge this in order to repair that relationship. if you fail to acknowledge that problem, you are only contributing to its existence.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
lets talk about rational and irrational fears.

Being afraid of clowns is an irrational fear, though millions and millions of people suffer from it.

Being afraid to jump out of a plane with a parachute on is a rational fear.

What if i told you, a higher percentage of black people died from force by the police than skydivers that choose to jump out of a plane?

Its true. 21 people out of 3 million died from skydiving in 2017. 0.007%. 287 black people out of 37 million in the us died from the police in 2017. 0.0076%

That means that if being pulled over by the police scares the living daylights out of a black kid, he's statistically justified of his RATIONAL fear. We have to acknowledge this in order to repair that relationship. if you fail to acknowledge that problem, you are only contributing to its existence.
I’m not really sure I get your point. The sky diver chose to jump out of the plane. The black kid being shot by the police didn’t exactly chose that.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I’m not really sure I get your point. The sky diver chose to jump out of the plane. The black kid being shot by the police didn’t exactly chose that.
exactly. Im saying that being afraid of the police as a young black man is ***statistically*** equally as rational a fear as being afraid of jumping out of an airplane. People who say "i just keep my hands on the wheel and say yes sir and no sir and everythings fine!!!!" dont understand how terrified they would be if they werent white. thats what we have to address. Thats the only way to repair the relationship between minorities and police. I, as a white person, have to stand up for minorities because otherwise their voices will continue to be trivialized by the louder majority.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The last three years (3 yrs is all I checked, according to Washington Post), more whites are killed by cops than any other race. So, can anybody explained to me why the media continue to focus on the "black .v. blue" narrative, when white a bigger victim to cop killing than blacks?

----------

As for Nike/Colin, to me it isn't about the message, it's about the messengers. Colin should NOT be the face of that ad. If you were going to use a football player to be the spokesman, why not Alejandro Villanueva, OL of the Pittsburgh Steeler?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.