Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
The message has been made clear over and over: they shouldn't. Whether we're talking about women, blacks, gays, etc., the privileged majority always patronizes minorities from a selfish and ignorant perch. Women with political opinions made men uncomfortable, so they were demonized. Blacks deigning to send their kids to well-funded schools made whites uncomfortable, so they were lynched. Gays who wanted to hold hands on the sidewalk made straight people uncomfortable, so they were murdered.

The privileged majority always says just keep your head down and don't provoke, as if avoidance has ever solved a problem of significance. It's the same cycle over and over, and it's obvious who falls on the right side of this current incarnation, and who falls on the wrong one.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
People have willfully ignored and / or distorted the reasons behind protests as long as there have been protests. As 92 clearly showed above, it's white-washing history to suggest the CRM was immediately understood by white people. In fact, they were constantly accused of any number of nasty things for simply (and peacefully) asking for equality.

People of color block streets, start fires, ransack and loot and people understandably suggest this is not how you promote your message. Now we have a man of color kneeling during the anthem - as peaceful protest as one could ever desire - and he's castigated for it. How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
The message has been made clear over and over: they shouldn't. Whether we're talking about women, blacks, gays, etc., the privileged majority always patronizes minorities from a selfish and ignorant perch. Women with political opinions made men uncomfortable, so they were demonized. Blacks deigning to send their kids to well-funded schools made whites uncomfortable, so they were lynched. Gays who wanted to hold hands on the sidewalk made straight people uncomfortable, so they were murdered.

The privileged majority always says just keep your head down and don't provoke, as if avoidance has ever solved a problem of significance. It's the same cycle over and over, and it's obvious who falls on the right side of this current incarnation, and who falls on the wrong one.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
How exactly should someone protest a perceived injustice?
How about not picking a symbol that represents far more good than bad?

There are specific examples of of brutality and inequality, put them on a shirt. He's made a ton of money off this, I'm sure he can swing it. Capernick is photographed a lot. People will Google it, much like they Googled Tim Tebow's eye black. Awareness will be raised. Kneeling for the Anthem has polarized him, the reactions are either positive or negative. Nobody is curious or on the fence regarding him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I covered that when it was posted on the meme thread. Pretty standard for GOP to trash a war hero I guess..
Having read a bit about Tillman, I am pretty sure he would have supported the kneelers and may have even kneeled himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How about not picking a symbol that represents far more good than bad?

There are specific examples of of brutality and inequality, put them on a shirt. He's made a ton of money off this, I'm sure he can swing it. Capernick is photographed a lot. People will Google it, much like they Googled Tim Tebow's eye black. Awareness will be raised. Kneeling for the Anthem has polarized him, the reactions are either positive or negative. Nobody is curious or on the fence regarding him.
He changed my mind, even though I'm aware of the stats.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Attachments

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So you believe the United States government has a system in place to systematically kill, brutalize, and oppress Black Americans?
No, I believe he is protesting against something he believes exists - I do think that people of color are treated differently, not as a national policy, but I think if you talk to people of color you'll find their view is often very different from most whites. I've not experienced this oppression, but I have many friends who have.

My knee-jerk reaction was to dislike him and his protest because I felt it was offensive, but his reasoned responses when asked changed my mind about his protest.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You know... instead of burning your Nike products... why not donate them to a veteran organization that helps homeless veterans if you care so much for vets.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I don't care for his socks that have cops depicted as pigs, either. That doesn't mean his protest is meaningless or should be summarily dismissed, imo.
You know if he had said police brutality, I may could get it, it happens to white people also, I know first hand.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You know if he had said police brutality, I may could get it, it happens to white people also, I know first hand.
I get it, and as I said previously, the stats don't indicate what he claims.

My point is (well, really my point is it's a brilliant marketing strategy by Nike, but alas...) that he feels like people that look like him are treated unfairly and wants to attract attention to his cause. Ultimately, after I took the time to read his story and (most importantly) listen to his interviews, I came to respect his stance in all of this. While I cannot fully understand what he's protesting, I fully support his right to do so, and do not find it disrespectful whatsoever.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.