Colin Kaepernick part of Nike's 30th anniversary of 'Just Do It' campaign

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I normally don't post on the nonsports but I had to weigh in on Kaepernick. The only reason he did any of this was because he was going to be an irrelevant backup NFL QB. He did all to bring attention to himself. Proof: when he decided to go into free agency and a team didn't pick him up he made the comment he wouldn't kneel anymore in protest. Of course he didn't get signed. If he really was doing this for a real cause he would have never agreed to back down. Of course after he didn't get signed he went back and changed his tune again. He is just a former NFL quarterback trying to get attention. What is sad it worked. With politically charged environment we live in he exploited all of these suckers including the idiots at Nike. He is not a martyr. Just a disrespectful punk who feeds on the minds of people who don't want to think for themselves.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I normally don't post on the nonsports but I had to weigh in on Kaepernick. The only reason he did any of this was because he was going to be an irrelevant backup NFL QB. He did all to bring attention to himself. Proof: when he decided to go into free agency and a team didn't pick him up he made the comment he wouldn't kneel anymore in protest. Of course he didn't get signed. If he really was doing this for a real cause he would have never agreed to back down. Of course after he didn't get signed he went back and changed his tune again. He is just a former NFL quarterback trying to get attention. What is sad it worked. With politically charged environment we live in he exploited all of these suckers including the idiots at Nike. He is not a martyr. Just a disrespectful punk who feeds on the minds of people who don't want to think for themselves.
Not the only reason he did this (not that some of what you're saying his goals are couldn't also be true). Proof: he actually donates money to causes related to this. I'm sure these organizations listed are happy to have some help from this disrespectful punk.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/31/...organizations-million-dollar-pledge-10-for-10

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Here they come with their passive aggressive comments directed at you. Welcome to non sports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Anyone with a business mind completely understands why Nike is doing this. Nike markets to kids/young adults. I remember hearing a report last year or maybe the year before stating the last generation where whites were the majority are now officially "adults", and the generation where whites aren't the majority were/are now entering junior high and highschool.

Whether it's uncomfortable or not, PC or not is irrelevant. In general, there are A LOT of people with brown skin who support Kaep. Nike is marketing to this demographic with the slant of "Social justice"/"Stand up for something even if it cost you everything" and I think it's brilliant. Let's be honest, if Nike didn't think there was money to be made would they do it? Nope. Would they invest the amount of money they are about to invest? Nope. Because from my understanding (heard this on CBS Sports Radio this morning) Nike is rolling out a complete sports line (clothing, shoes etc.) brand using Kaep as the face and the underlying theme of "Stand up for something even if it cost you everything".

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Anyone with a business mind completely understands why Nike is doing this. Nike markets to kids/young adults. I remember hearing a report last year or maybe the year before stating the last generation where whites were the majority are now officially "adults", and the generation where whites aren't the majority were/are now entering junior high and highschool.

Whether it's uncomfortable or not, PC or not is irrelevant. In general, there are A LOT of people with brown skin who support Kaep. Nike is marketing to this demographic with the slant of "Social justice"/"Stand up for something even if it cost you everything" and I think it's brilliant. Let's be honest, if Nike didn't think there was money to be made would they do it? Nope. Would they invest the amount of money they are about to invest? Nope. Because from my understanding (heard this on CBS Sports Radio this morning) Nike is rolling out a complete sports line (clothing, shoes etc.) brand using Kaep as the face and the underlying theme of "Stand up for something even if it cost you everything".
Thanks for the Demographic info. I heard the same and that Adidas and one other of the major brands were already trying to pick up CK and forced Nike to act. Don't quite know where the downside would be for Nike to do this. Excellent analysis from a business standpoint.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
If Nike really concerned about the senseless death of Blacks in this country they can start by substantially reducing the price of their shoes.

It seemed as though everybody wanted to “be like Mike.” Children and adults alike aspired to leap from the free throw and dunk with their tongue hanging out or win six NBA Championship titles. But for those who weren’t 6’6” and drafted by the Chicago Bulls, like most people, they had to buy Michael Jordan’s shoes if they wanted to be like him. With the rise of sneaker culture came a violent side-effect: the fact that people are willing to harm and even kill others for a pair of coveted Jordan sneakers.

LINK

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's cost them 3 billion today.
Nah, Nike is valued at some $35 billion and the've lost whopping 2% of their stock value today.

What's more is they'll make up more than double that in no time as the stock prices will track sales.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nikes-colin-kaepernick-campaign-reward-risk-131301863.html

“Will there be people who stop buying Nike because of this? Yes,” says Brian Cristiano, CEO of ad agency Bold Worldwide. “But there will also be others who use this as an excuse to buy another jersey or pair of sneakers. Regardless of how loud the keyboard warriors and voices opposed to Kaepernick get, Nike will remain standing at the end of it all. And as they say, no press is bad press.”

Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing expert with Baker Street Advertising, echoes a similar tone. “Yes, it will alienate consumers—just look at the Twitter reaction already,” he says. “But the attention it will gain, the publicity, the media discourse, the incredible reaction will far outweigh any loss of business that might result. For every swoosh that’s lost, one or more will be gained.”
It's a brilliant business decision that will keep Nike at the top of the sports-merchandise heap for a long time...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I basically thought much of the same thing when I first heard the news. It may pay off long term.

One thing though is a lot of parents buy Nike products for their kids. Many of these parents my decide to look elsewhere and get their kids hooked on some other brand.

For me, once I find a shoe that fits, functions, and lasts the way I like it, I don't usually look to change (basketball, running, tennis and racquetball). I tried a Nike basketball shoe a long time ago and I didn't like it so I've never bought another Nike shoe of any kind. From a marketing standpoint, if anyone switches from Nike or tries a non-Nike shoe and like what they found, they may not buy a Nike shoe for a long time. This is one area that may backfire on Nike's long-term plan. I don't think I fit the big dollar purchaser that Nike is after anyway.

I think the demographic they are going after is the kids/young adults as you mention but includes whites just as much as non-whites.

Last edited:

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Nah, Nike is valued at some $35 billion and the've lost whopping 2% of their stock value today.

What's more is they'll make up more than double that in no time as the stock prices will track sales.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nikes-colin-kaepernick-campaign-reward-risk-131301863.html

It's a brilliant business decision that will keep Nike at the top of the sports-merchandise heap for a long time...
It's down 2.34 per share times 14,979,897 Volume, If you believe in it should be a good day to buy

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.