When is the last time you remember an Alabama offense being this explosive?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Last year it was 1 TD pass for every 7 throws and every 4.45 completions.

Sat. Night it was 1 TD pass for every 8 throws and every 6 completions (He's slipping):wink:

Career Avg is now 1 TD pass for every 7.15 Throws and every 4.69 Completions. It's just FILTHY!!!
Filthy, sick, bad...all in a beautiful way!!!

LOL his numbers are better than I remembered!

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I've been watching games on TV since 1966, and in person since 1978. This offense has the tools to be the most explosive offense in my lifetime...... Not even close IMO.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
But Tua was 7 for 7 I think on the 3rd downs and that WILL beat teams like LSU, auBARN, Clemson or playoff team not named Oklahoma.
I kept thinking when Tua was in we had great ball control and it kept our defense off the field. It was very nice controlling the clock more that in previous years. I love a good explosive play for a TD, but we also need to keep our D fresh.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Rat poison. This isn’t worth a discussion until they have done it to several good defensive teams.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
But we do know how good the UGA defense was last season.

Also worth noting that Tua was QB on half (or fewer) of Bama's drives.
6 drives

5 touchdowns and a fumble by a receiver after a beautiful pass

that is insane but this was a Bobby Petrino D coached by Brian Van Gorder so who knows

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Even though Bama returned 4 starters from a good OL, 1 (Womack) has been supplanted and 2 others (Cotton, RP) are playing different positions. So, only 1 player (JW) is at his old position, including the key communication piece RP at center. So, there were communication problems at first but they improved as the game progressed. Still, Bama had ~220 yards rushing with only a few carries and yards by the QB. Plus the "real" offense was only on the field for 6 possessions. The OL should be a strength.

In answer to the larger question: it's only one game, so we're all guessing quite a bit, but IMO, it would be a surprise, assuming Tua remains healthy, if this offense was not the most explosive Bama has ever had. Prior to this I would say Mal's '73 offense, then maybe 2012, then Homer's '89. This one has more skill and versatility and above all Tua, though Mal's wishbone was much more versatile than any wishbone of the day. This offense has everything: dt QB, OL, RBs, WRs, TEs - everything. The only slight question is OL pass pro and it will likely be at least "good".

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Never. The 1989 offense with Hollingsworth, Stacy, etc was a very good offense but nowhere near the talent of this one. Homer Smith will always be my favorite OC of all time. The 2012 offense, especially from about the midway point of the season, was probably the most explosive that I can remember since the 1989 season and probably more so given the talent difference.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
This will be the most explosive offensive Bama’s ever had IF Tua stays healthy. Tua has soundly beaten every defense he’s seen. Every QB analyst that seesTua raves about him, even those that hate Bama. He’s faced Louisville, Vandy, Georgia, and Bama defenses and evidently owns them all.

For whatever reason, I get really nervous when Tua is on the field. He’s the most exciting player I’ve ever seen in a Bama uniform.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
2012 was awful close and that was before Alabama started doing any of the hurry up stuff that we sprinkle in there from time to time these days.

But we haven't had a QB with the talent Tua has since the 60s.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
In the last 50 years, I'm pretty sure it would be 1973. I'm pretty sure that Alabama finished in the top 5 in the country (maybe #1 overall?) in total offense. Had 41 points per game that year -- something that could be exceeded this year.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
The biggest hindrance will be Saban. We only had 37 offensive points Sat with 2 NOTs. When he gets big leads he doesn't push it like OK one tOSU. He puts in the subs Not necessarily a bad thing as it gives us a lot of experience every year when the good guys get drafted.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
The biggest hindrance will be Saban. We only had 37 offensive points Sat with 2 NOTs. When he gets big leads he doesn't push it like OK one tOSU. He puts in the subs Not necessarily a bad thing as it gives us a lot of experience every year when the good guys get drafted.
Agreed. If Alabama finishes with 40+ ppg by the end of the season, it'll likely be because we had a bunch of defensive breakdowns against the likes of Missouri and Ole Miss, which kept them in the game for longer than comfortable.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I have a different concept of explosive. The 1973 team was a wishbone attack with a few passes and an occasional audible for a bomb if there was one on one coverage of Wayne Wheeler or Ozzie Newsome. That team ran the ball down the opponents throat.

To me explosive has to do with how likely a team is to score on any given play. Fun and gun was explosive. When Tua is in the game I can’t take my eyes off the TV long enough to go get a beer. That’s explosive. The 73 team was really good but I’ve never thought of that team as being explosive.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I have a different concept of explosive. The 1973 team was a wishbone attack with a few passes and an occasional audible for a bomb if there was one on one coverage of Wayne Wheeler or Ozzie Newsome. That team ran the ball down the opponents throat.

To me explosive has to do with how likely a team is to score on any given play. Fun and gun was explosive. When Tua is in the game I can’t take my eyes off the TV long enough to go get a beer. That’s explosive. The 73 team was really good but I’ve never thought of that team as being explosive.
The 73 team was very explosive and fun to watch. I was a student at UA and went to all the games. That team always seemed to be able to do whatever they needed to win but there were a couple of close games and the ND loss in the bowl. I was a big Calvin Culliver fan as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.