This defense reminds me a little bit of that 2013 defense

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I don't think we are that explosive and fast up front as we have been in the past couple of years. We seem to be lacking a top notch pass rusher too. I think this years defense is good enough to win it all though, and thats all that matters. Especially with how unstoppable our offense seems to be. But I wouldn't expect the typical suffocating Bama D this season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We left the middle of the field open, which we do anyway, but it didn't matter much before because we had the stud pass rusher.
Someone is going to have to step up, or it's going to be a problem up the line.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's way too early to compare them to anyone. Do some things need to be ironed out? Sure...

But they combined as a Unit to register 3 Sacks, 11 Tackles for Loss, 3 QB Hurries and 2 INT's.

UL had most of it's success very late against the 2nd and 3rd string and yet still we only gave up 268 total yards and 14 garbage time points.

Quinnen Williams had a very good game up front imo.

They are only going to get better but it's not like they had a troublesome or disappointing performance.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We left the middle of the field open, which we do anyway, but it didn't matter much before because we had the stud pass rusher.
Yes...and it drives me crazy. Everyone knows it and yet CNS refuses to change...Oh well...I guess he knows more than moi about defense.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
It's way too early to compare them to anyone. Do some things need to be ironed out? Sure...

But they combined as a Unit to register 3 Sacks, 11 Tackles for Loss, 3 QB Hurries and 2 INT's.

UL had most of it's success very late against the 2nd and 3rd string and yet still we only gave up 252 total yards and 14 garbage time points.

Quinnen Williams had a very good game up front imo.

They are only going to get better but it's not like they had a troublesome or disappointing performance.
Yep, I would much rather win and have a lot to work on that to win big and play about perfect. You never want to peak too soon.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We might be susceptible to drag routes, but the ones when the receiver caught the ball and ran 20 yards was because of a blown assignment.

We'll get most of that fixed.

Also, I don't know if their "oak tree" QB affected how often we blitzed, but it didn't seem as often. Maybe this will be Tosh's learning curve game, but I hope he figures that out sooner rather than later.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Mack Wilson acknowledged yesterday that it was his fault for miscommunication. I thought Mack did poor job of communicating and I expect him to make huge stride going forward.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We might be susceptible to drag routes, but the ones when the receiver caught the ball and ran 20 yards was because of a blown assignment.

We'll get most of that fixed.

Also, I don't know if their "oak tree" QB affected how often we blitzed, but it didn't seem as often. Maybe this will be Tosh's learning curve game, but I hope he figures that out sooner rather than later.
Felt like Tosh was reluctant to blitz much during the first half. Not sure if he wanted to get a feel on how Pass played before letting the defense lose or what. Once they realized Pass wasn't going to scramble much, they started bringing more heat.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The middle of the field and wheel routes have always been open when they are breaking in three or more guys on the back end. It involves quick recognition, reaction, and most importantly, communication with the other players around them to prevent the open players. I'm sure they will get it ironed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Felt like Tosh was reluctant to blitz much during the first half. Not sure if he wanted to get a feel on how Pass played before letting the defense lose or what. Once they realized Pass wasn't going to scramble much, they started bringing more heat.
I was thinking the same thing. First half, he was playing safe defense. I was trying to figure out why he didn't blitz much. Thought it would've helped some. I think Saban and Tosh had a discussion at the half and things changed in second half. Saban mentioned in post game interview that there was some calls that was made by OC and DC that he thought wasn't probably right call.. and that it was a good learning experience for them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I was thinking the same thing. First half, he was playing safe defense. I was trying to figure out why he didn't blitz much. Thought it would've helped some. I think Saban and Tosh had a discussion at the half and things changed in second half. Saban mentioned in post game interview that there was some calls that was made by OC and DC that he thought wasn't probably right call.. and that it was a good learning experience for them.
Thought it was interesting in CNS presser yesterday that someone asked about evaluating Tosh and CNS said something like "I'm not going to evaluate our coaches publicly."

My interpretation of that is that CNS was probably not completely happy with Tosh in this game or else he would have probably just given a coach speak "I thought he did a good job, but we can improve" answer.

I just know that I hope he looks more like Pruit than Kirby when he settles into his identity.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I’d say we’re more like 2015 than 2013.

2013 and 2014 were plodding units up front and it showed against modern offenses.

I think our down linemen are dominant but not deep and the secondary is young but promising. A lot like 2015.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I agree there were some things the defense needs to work on, but I think it's too early to make predictions.

with the pass rush, I doubt we showed anything new or did anything special since the game was never really contested and we still got 3 sacks. Jennings didn't quite look like he did before his injury though, and that's concerning since we don't have much experience behind him to generate pressure on the edge. Miller is about it. The only thing I noticed on the first review was that we broke past tendency with personnel groups and went with our smaller rush package in more down/distance situations than before.

What I hope we see from game one to game 2 is an increase in communication, and leadership. Hopefully Wilson will get more vocal and assertive in making the calls. There was a noticeable difference in our communication when he went out and McMillon went in for him with Mcmillon being much more assertive in making the calls and getting the players set.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we are going to have growing pains all the way up to the MSU game, but we will be better at the end. I expect a few games like Ole Miss and Mizzou in which we allow more points than what people on here are comfortable, but if our offense is still potent it won’t matter. But expect eeyores to over stress how bad our defense is

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thought it was interesting in CNS presser yesterday that someone asked about evaluating Tosh and CNS said something like "I'm not going to evaluate our coaches publicly."

My interpretation of that is that CNS was probably not completely happy with Tosh in this game or else he would have probably just given a coach speak "I thought he did a good job, but we can improve" answer.

I just know that I hope he looks more like Pruit than Kirby when he settles into his identity.
I also hope Tosh will be more like Pruitt. I wish Pruitt would have stayed one more year since the secondary is so new, but hopefully Tosh will do a good job. BAMA is playing some talented offenses with good QB's this year... Ole Miss being the first one.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think we are going to have growing pains all the way up to the MSU game, but we will be better at the end. I expect a few games like Ole Miss and Mizzou in which we allow more points than what people on here are comfortable, but if our offense is still potent it won’t matter. But expect eeyores to over stress how bad our defense is
If an Alabama defense gives up 30 points, the world will end. Is there even a reason to continue the season?

The week after those games will be miserable because of the Eeyore's.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I also hope Tosh will be more like Pruitt. I wish Pruitt would have stayed one more year since the secondary is so new, but hopefully Tosh will do a good job. BAMA is playing some talented offenses with good QB's this year... Ole Miss being the first one.
Wasn't there a radio broadcast link after Pruitt took the Tennessee job where an analyst said that Pruitt left a year early and that Tosh wanted to learn the back end this year? That would explain some of the hiccups in this game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.