Arkansas State Fan Here to chat with The Tide Faithful

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Based on your scouting report, it sounds like our defensive game plan will be to puts lots of pressure on your gifted QB since your OL is the weak link.

Lot of your success of moving the ball and picking up a couple of scores may rest in the adjustments we've made this weak on not missing assignments.

Thanks for the report!

Bojo1324

Aug 21, 2018
Based on your scouting report, it sounds like our defensive game plan will be to puts lots of pressure on your gifted QB since your OL is the weak link.

Lot of your success of moving the ball and picking up a couple of scores may rest in the adjustments we've made this weak on not missing assignments.

Thanks for the report!
If we don't feel like we can run the ball (and I'm not sure why we would think we could), we may throw it 70 times.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If we don't feel like we can run the ball (and I'm not sure why we would think we could), we may throw it 70 times.
I'd be very, very, very surprised if you guys get the chance to throw it 70 times.

For that to happen, you guys would have to pretty much shut down our running game and I don't see that happening, at all.

Last season we averaged giving up 65 plays per game and no team ran 80 plays against our defense. The fewest rushing attempts you guys had in a game over the past three seasons was 21 and you only had 30 or fewer attempts in three games over that span.

I'd put the over/under for you guys for total plays at 64.5, rushing plays at 24.5, and passing plays at 40.5.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Offensively we run a spread with a lot of RPO out of it. We finally have good depth at running back whereas last year we relied a lot on passing. We have a freshman rb who really stood out in fall camp and carried it over into the game against SEMO. Hansen is the real deal at QB. Probably a first rounder next year. Defensively we run a base 4-3 but do a lot of things with it. Btw... I love to watch Bama play. Probably my favorite SEC team(we do not like the arrogant piggies...who refuse to play)
When I saw that mentioned earlier this year I dug into it a little.
There are quite a few other people that agree with that statement, although they seem to split on 1st or 2nd round, while others have him anywhere from there to being an undrafted free agent...
At 6'4" and in the 225 lb. range makes him a tough out, although he threw 34 TD's but also had 15 INT's last year!
Although I don't put a lot of credence in the Orlando Sentinel, they have the Red Wolves ranked ahead of some programs you would think would be ahead of them...!
Below is a link to their pre-season article about Arkansas St.!
[url]http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-football-rankings/os-sp-college-football-rankings-arkansas-state-0624-story.html[/URL]

Bojo1324

Aug 21, 2018
I'd be very, very, very surprised if you guys get the chance to throw it 70 times.

For that to happen, you guys would have to pretty much shut down our running game and I don't see that happening, at all.

Last season we averaged giving up 65 plays per game and no team ran 80 plays against our defense. The fewest rushing attempts you guys had in a game over the past three seasons was 21 and you only had 30 or fewer attempts in three games over that span.

I'd put the over/under for you guys for total plays at 64.5, rushing plays at 24.5, and passing plays at 40.5.
Sorry, that was a slightly hyperbolic statement, basically we may throw it on ever down what I meant.

Bojo1324

Aug 21, 2018
When I saw that mentioned earlier this year I dug into it a little.
There are quite a few other people that agree with that statement, although they seem to split on 1st or 2nd round, while others have him anywhere from there to being an undrafted free agent...
At 6'4" and in the 225 lb. range makes him a tough out, although he threw 34 TD's but also had 15 INT's last year!
Although I don't put a lot of credence in the Orlando Sentinel, they have the Red Wolves ranked ahead of some programs you would think would be ahead of them...!
Below is a link to their pre-season article about Arkansas St.!
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...tball-rankings-arkansas-state-0624-story.html
That's about right. If you're a lower level P5, we could win, but we don't schedule them because they don't payout and we don't want to try to schedule two pay games and lose a home game in the process. So we end up going to Oregon, and USC, and Alabama, and Georgia, and Michigan in the future because we want that one big money game. I hate it personally because it always means you end up with no chance of going undefeated which for a Sun Belt team is what you have to do to gain recognition.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
That's about right. If you're a lower level P5, we could win, but we don't schedule them because they don't payout and we don't want to try to schedule two pay games and lose a home game in the process. So we end up going to Oregon, and USC, and Alabama, and Georgia, and Michigan in the future because we want that one big money game. I hate it personally because it always means you end up with no chance of going undefeated which for a Sun Belt team is what you have to do to gain recognition.
Losing to any of those would obviously stop an undefeated season, but you could still win your conference and pick up a decent bowl game. Money aside, playing Bama early will help your team grow and get better. I wish your team the best for the rest of the season.

Bojo1324

Aug 21, 2018
Losing to any of those would obviously stop an undefeated season, but you could still win your conference and pick up a decent bowl game. Money aside, playing Bama early will help your team grow and get better. I wish your team the best for the rest of the season.
Oh, believe me we understand that. We are the last team to beat UCF, in 2016, after going 0-4 in non-conference while playing an SEC team from the state of Alabama.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Oh, believe me we understand that. We are the last team to beat UCF, in 2016, after going 0-4 in non-conference while playing an SEC team from the state of Alabama.
Didn't realize you folks were the last to beat UCF...

Shouldn't that make y'all national champs ??

:biggrin2:

Bojo1324

Aug 21, 2018
Also, gonna go ahead and tell you folks that this is the nicest a P5 board has treated me coming over. Started doing this in 2013, and since then have been welcomed by most, but more than a few (Cough....Miami....Cough) were downright rude and vulgar. Nebraska was nice last year, and Auburn usually is pretty nice (we play them a lot actually), but USC and Miami were the worst and y'all are the best. Easily.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Also, gonna go ahead and tell you folks that this is the nicest a P5 board has treated me coming over. Started doing this in 2013, and since then have been welcomed by most, but more than a few (Cough....Miami....Cough) were downright rude and vulgar. Nebraska was nice last year, and Auburn usually is pretty nice (we play them a lot actually), but USC and Miami were the worst and y'all are the best. Easily.
Just wait until you come to Tuscaloosa for a game!

sdcritter

Sep 4, 2018
Another stAte fan here. I'd echo what BOJO said about being treated with respect here in your forum. Nebraska was pretty good last year. We expect you to give us hell during the game and shake our hands when it's done. I get the feeling you folks would do that.

An Miami has nothing but thugs and ....... Worst fan base I've ever seen.

asuato

Aug 11, 2018
About Hansen, yeah he had an issue with INTs last year. He really worked hard in the offseason to get that straightened out and should be much improved this year in that regard. I suspect our offensive approach to this game will be similar to what we did against Nebraska last year, lots of quick out routes for 5-10 yds as he wont have time against Bama's defense to sit back there and wait.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This team has been built on transfers and bounce-back JUCOs to maintain the winning that was going on when Anderson got here.

For instance, since he's been here:

Cameron Echols-Luper (TCU)
Dee Liner (Alabama)
Christian Booker (South Carolina)
Kendrick Edwards (Arkansas)
Kendall Sanders (Texas)
Justice Hansen (Oklahoma)
Dahu Green (Oklahoma)
Bubba Ogbebor (Boise State)
Thomas Toki (Washington State)
Jefferie Gibson (Clemson)
Darreon Jackson (Boise State)
Christian Howard (Colorado State)
Jaypee Philbert (Iowa State)
Kevin Thurmon (Ball State)
Robert Mondie (UAB...the year they shut the program down)
Austin Copeland (West Virginia)
Kyle Harris (South Carolina)
Armond Weh Weh (Texas Tech)
Chase Robison (Auburn/Texas Tech)
Sterling Wright (Kentucky)
Chad Voytik (Pittsburgh)
Chase Johnson (Memphis)
Kirk Merritt (Oregon/Texas A&M)

It works in conference play, but a lot of times there is still gelling needing to be done in non-conference play. Not a good week for that to need to happen.
This can work for short-term solutions. The problem is that it creates a cycle that is tough to get out of when building in some consistency.

Thanks for visiting the board and providing some of your insight.

Were you around when Ray Perkins was the ASU coach?

sdcritter

Sep 4, 2018
I'm not sure if he was but I was. What an abject failure he was.

Our problem with transfers and JUCOs stems from losing head coaches. That revolving door started when we dismissed Steve Roberts. The next year we had Hugh Freeze who immediately went to Ole ..... Then we pulled off the coup of getting Gus Mahlzan (....ing off our neighbors in the northwest corner of the state) and he was gone after one year. We then scored Brian Harsin who moved on to Boise after his one year here. The result was our recruiting was decimated. Anderson has been here 5 years and we are only now getting to the point that we can depend on a solid recruiting class of freshmen rather than plugging holes to hang on by our fingernails.

Speaking of Anderson, he is not a favorite with our fans. Mostly because of his dismal out of conference record and his team's sloppy play with penalties out the wazoo. He claimed to make a priority out of fixing that in the off season and we had 4 personal fouls in our first game. Most of us are still not happy.

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I'm not sure if he was but I was. What an abject failure he was.

Our problem with transfers and JUCOs stems from losing head coaches. That revolving door started when we dismissed Steve Roberts. The next year we had Hugh Freeze who immediately went to Ole ..... Then we pulled off the coup of getting Gus Mahlzan (....ing off our neighbors in the northwest corner of the state) and he was gone after one year. We then scored Brian Harsin who moved on to Boise after his one year here. The result was our recruiting was decimated. Anderson has been here 5 years and we are only now getting to the point that we can depend on a solid recruiting class of freshmen rather than plugging holes to hang on by our fingernails.

Speaking of Anderson, he is not a favorite with our fans. Mostly because of his dismal out of conference record and his team's sloppy play with penalties out the wazoo. He claimed to make a priority out of fixing that in the off season and we had 4 personal fouls in our first game. Most of us are still not happy.
If you have a natural grass field Les Miles is available...and he may just coach a bit too...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.