Arkansas State Fan Here to chat with The Tide Faithful

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Agreed. This MSU game last year illustrated the damage that could be done dinking and dunking underneath and mixing in QB runs and RPO's. The longer developing plays down the field didn't work consistently for L-ville.
To be fair, going underneath usually doesn't work for an entire game either as at some point everyone will play up, jam the receivers at the line and rush the QB. You have to have a suitable QB for the system that MSU ran last year.
Our LB injuries had taken their toll by the MSU game as well. A healthy BAMA D doesn't get in that kind of trouble that we got into that night.

sdcritter

Sep 4, 2018
We used to have an annual fight on the internet about stAte playing those piggies out west. Lately there has been movement within their own administration to open up to playing in state schools. Now it seems to be weekly. Poor Frank Broyles is pooping his pants in that coffin right now. With the additional movement from their side the t-shirt fans for the swine are losing it. I'll admit to fueling the fire. I keep telling them that unless it's a home and home series I'd much rather play you guys so we have a quality opponent along with a nice paycheck. This is my favorite time of year.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Man, I gotta give a shout out to you stAte posters! You guys seem to be first class. A lot of opposing posters come in appearing polite for a couple of minutes, then turn to passive aggressive needling. Many cases it’s not bad enough to get banned, just enough to show their intent is to annoy. Mad props to all of you on this thread for being knowledgeable, respectful, and genuine.

This is a year that our SoS is being dumped on, and I don’t think stAte is getting nearly enough credit. IMO this is the perfect G5 game. There’s enough of a depth and talent disparity to keep the game very winnable, but there’s enough positional talent in others to test you for the rest of your schedule. I have no doubt you guys are going to give us all we want and won’t go quietly into the night.

Niceties aside, To answer the question on our secondary. I think there’s a lot of room for improvement, but a ton of raw talent. The guys are young, inexperienced, and lost a lot of leadership. Their success this year was dependent on development and preparation and they’ve shown more in well 1 than I expected to see by week 10. I think we still lack a true shutdown corner for now, We have a couple who could get there and the immediate PT can only help. They bent a lot in the Louisville game, but they never broke. That was promising, as was the emergence of Deionte Thompson at safety.

I think opening the season against 3 of the best passing teams on our schedule will be hugely beneficial for the rest of the season. It’s great we can start the season with a trial by fire, that way we’re already battle tested when we face the gauntlet of a schedule that is November.

Thanks for joining the board! It’s a pleasure to have you and we look forward to a great game on Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Another stAte fan here. I'd echo what BOJO said about being treated with respect here in your forum. Nebraska was pretty good last year. We expect you to give us hell during the game and shake our hands when it's done. I get the feeling you folks would do that.

An Miami has nothing but thugs and ....... Worst fan base I've ever seen.
I have been around some of those Miami folks. Know what you mean. But every fanbase has some turkeys. Even us, but that is just the times. By and large...Bama fans have always been more like this Board. I respect every opponent we will face. Not gonna trash our visitors. Nor will our moderators on here. All the guys and gals on here are even keeled and polite. Hope you guys continue to post. Always enjoy trips to your state too. Shoot....I just enjoy traveling in the country. Would love to travel to Europe but I haven't seen all of MY country just yet!

Apexredwolf

Sep 5, 2018
Liner was on the Bama roster for 1-2 years. Good player that got into a little trouble IIRC. Recruting Alabama is a good idea for your program. Onto the game, I think your QB will give us some problems but obviously y'all are not going to be able to stop our offense. Should be a great experience for your players.
IMO, Dee could've dominated even more than he did in the Sun Belt. He did get dinged up a little but when wanted to he could be a monster on the line. Check out the stAte-UCF highlights from the Cure Bowl a couple of years ago (UCFs last loss). Javon Rolland Jones, who ended up .5 sack short of Suggs's sack record, and Dee were unstoppable that game.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V_KYbDz7tJw

arkstfan

Sep 5, 2018
Man, I gotta give a shout out to you stAte posters! You guys seem to be first class. A lot of opposing posters come in appearing polite for a couple of minutes, then turn to passive aggressive needling. Many cases it’s not bad enough to get banned, just enough to show their intent is to annoy. Mad props to all of you on this thread for being knowledgeable, respectful, and genuine.

This is a year that our SoS is being dumped on, and I don’t think stAte is getting nearly enough credit. IMO this is the perfect G5 game. There’s enough of a depth and talent disparity to keep the game very winnable, but there’s enough positional talent in others to test you for the rest of your schedule. I have no doubt you guys are going to give us all we want and won’t go quietly into the night.
This is a unique situation.

Usually going into a P5 game I can sit back and say if we don't play stupid and catch a break, we will be in it in the fourth and if you are in it in the fourth anything can happen.

Where Alabama is right now is INSANE. The "bad" periods of Saban at Alabama have meant two seasons in a row without a national title, It has been 3947 days since Alabama lost to an unranked team. Auburn last lost to an unranked 327 days ago, Clemson 328 days ago (a Friday) and Georgia 649 days ago,

Alabama is just operating a different level than EVERYONE right now.

Respect due should be given.

sdcritter

Sep 4, 2018
What he said. I think we all feel that way on our end. We'd love to compete at your level but we don't have the reputation or the infusion of money at the level you folks see to even dream of that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Really impressed with the ArkSt. fans coming in to talk football. Y'all are knowledgeable and respectful.

Hoping for an entertaining and injury free game.

sdcritter

Sep 4, 2018
Oh, we have our share of jackwagons as well. Luckily, most don't own computers. :biggrin:

Here's how I see it going down. You folks go up 2 scores in the first half and just pull away at cruising speed in the second half as our boys wear down. We will be chunking it a lot and I expect a minimum of 2 interceptions out of Hansen since he's going to be trying to hard to make something happen.

Most of us think we will get a really good read on our team out of the next 2 games after you. We go to Tulsa and then have UNLV at our place. We figure if we go 3-1 in OOC games this year we might be a 10 win team. Time will tell. And hey, we have a "quality loss" with you on the schedule. Yes, it kills me a little inside to use that phrase.

asuato

Aug 11, 2018
Exactly. All ASU fans know what this game is, its a 1.7 million dollar paycheck game. The main hopes on our end are to not get embarrassed and no injuries on either side. If we can offer even a little resistance then we did what we were supposed to do and we get better from it and Bama's defense gets tested a little and learns from it.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Exactly. All ASU fans know what this game is, its a 1.7 million dollar paycheck game. The main hopes on our end are to not get embarrassed and no injuries on either side. If we can offer even a little resistance then we did what we were supposed to do and we get better from it and Bama's defense gets tested a little and learns from it.
This is one of those unintended consequences I think a lot of people overlook when touting the "Power 5 teams should only play other Power 5 teams" idea. A lot of Group of 5 and, especially, FCS programs rely on these games for a huge chunk of their athletic budgets.

Removing the "cupcake games" from the schedule in order to help foster "better football" would, in reality, seriously hurt if not literally kill a lot of smaller programs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is one of those unintended consequences I think a lot of people overlook when touting the "Power 5 teams should only play other Power 5 teams" idea. A lot of Group of 5 and, especially, FCS programs rely on these games for a huge chunk of their athletic budgets.

Removing the "cupcake games" from the schedule in order to help foster "better football" would, in reality, seriously hurt if not literally kill a lot of smaller programs.
Without derailing this thread - we can take this elsewhere if someone wishes to discuss it - I couldn't possibly care any less what the effect would be on smaller programs. If they cannot hang in FBS, let them go back to FCS or start an FBS-lite league. It's not overlooked, I just do not care one bit.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Bojo1324

Aug 21, 2018
Again, glad to have had a pretty good time over here. Sorry we couldn't offer more than token resistance, though in spurts you could see why we're excited about this team, if we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot with drops, misplays, and penalties. Good luck Tide.

PS: Two times in the FBS Era at AState we've played a team that went on to win the National Title. 2000 Oklahoma, and 2010 Auburn. This is the worst beating we've taken in a while. Take that for what you will.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.