Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The 3rd quarter pass to Ruggs was beautiful also, because he could have just bailed on the throw, but he stood in there in the face of the rush and delivered a strike.

Don't like him taking those shots win a game is decided, but it's what the great ones do.

That's what you call a brass-cajones throw.

When you consider the wind, the high crown on the field and the tight coverage, I think it was his best pass yet.

That's what you call an out of 1000 random humans, at least 999 of them cannot make that throw kind of throw.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
ESPN updated their Heisman watch and unsurprisingly Tua now has all the first place votes. It is kind of like the AP Poll, where Alabama has all the #1 votes now. http://www.espn.com/college-football/heisman/

It feels like the LSU game can be the clincher for Tua and Alabama (Heisman and playoff respectively). I know that might sound crazy given there's still 3 or 4 games after that, but with the lead they've padded, a good performance against the #4 team would go a long way, and allow for a mulligan down the road.

So, if Tua can stay healthy against LSU and both he and Alabama has a good game, there won't be much to get in the way of another playoff berth and a Heisman trophy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really think it is now this simple - Tua needs to avoid injury and keep winning. 13-0 with Tua starting every game = Tua Heisman.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I really think it is now this simple - Tua needs to avoid injury and keep winning. 13-0 with Tua starting every game = Tua Heisman.
Saw an Ohio State fan arguing Haskins over Tua on Twitter the other day. He claimed Tua not playing in the fourth quarter actually hurts him. I had to chuckle.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saw an Ohio State fan arguing Haskins over Tua on Twitter the other day. He claimed Tua not playing in the fourth quarter actually hurts him. I had to chuckle.
Haskins can't win it unless Tua/Alabama lose. Haskins is very good. He had almost 500 yards passing in the loss to Purdue, even though we had no threat of a run game and they were dropping both safeties back in coverage on almost every play. But I have seen every snap played by both (last year and this year), and Tua is far better. Any reasonable person can see the difference. Haskins goes through his progressions, but he takes time to do it. Tua seems to do it instantly. Haskins sees about half of the field (which is pretty good for a 1st year starter). Tua sees the entire field.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Haskins is putting up raw stats, but the performances are not on par. I read somewhere that he didn't complete a pass over 15 yards in the air against Purdue (in 73 attempts) and his long was 34. He's not a bad quarterback but I've watched him play and the throws he's making are just not on the level of Tua. I know in the Penn State game that a lot of his yards came via what the receivers did after they caught the ball. I'd agree that it would take a loss from Alabama for Haskins to mount a serious challenge.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
As long as Tua doesn't suddenly look like a completely different QB his only real competition is Kyler Murray. And even then we would likely have to lose a game where Tua turned the ball over.

Haskins is good and he should get an invite but at least right now he doesn't look like a real threat for the Heisman.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Haskins is putting up raw stats, but the performances are not on par. I read somewhere that he didn't complete a pass over 15 yards in the air against Purdue (in 73 attempts) and his long was 34. He's not a bad quarterback but I've watched him play and the throws he's making are just not on the level of Tua. I know in the Penn State game that a lot of his yards came via what the receivers did after they caught the ball. I'd agree that it would take a loss from Alabama for Haskins to mount a serious challenge.
Remember, Haskins does not have a single WR with the ability of Alabama's best 4 WRs. We also cannot block rush plays. That has created a situation in which the offense is very limited. Essentially, OSU's short passing game is our run game. That is not really on Haskins. He is running the plays called.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As long as Tua doesn't suddenly look like a completely different QB his only real competition is Kyler Murray. And even then we would likely have to lose a game where Tua turned the ball over.

Haskins is good and he should get an invite but at least right now he doesn't look like a real threat for the Heisman.
I agree - Murray is legit and his stats are incredible. This would be a very tight race if the Sooners had not lost to Texas.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Remember, Haskins does not have a single WR with the ability of Alabama's best 4 WRs. We also cannot block rush plays. That has created a situation in which the offense is very limited. Essentially, OSU's short passing game is our run game. That is not really on Haskins. He is running the plays called.
I remember when Urban took KJ Hill from Alabama and Arkansas on NSD. What's been his problem? No development or just not living up to the hype/potential?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There have been a few talking heads that have said he shouldn't win it because he hasn't played a whole game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I remember when Urban took KJ Hill from Alabama and Arkansas on NSD. What's been his problem? No development or just not living up to the hype/potential?
He and Campbell are our only two "solid" receivers. Hill is barely 6 feet tall, but he is tough as nails. He is averaging about 13 yards per catch on the season, but most of that is YAC yardage. Hill is also our punt return guy, so he is getting work. The problem is speed - he is quick, but not fast. Campbell is fast, but not quick. Both are solid, but neither is great.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I actually think IF Tua manages to get through LSU, MSU and Aub. WITHOUT playing the fourth quarter that it increases the lore of his campaign.

Imagine a Heisman winning QB that it can be said he never took a snap in the regular season in the 4th quarter because his team had such a commanding lead in each game.

FWIW, if we put LSU away early and Tua doesn't play in the 4th against LSU, I think it's very likely this could happen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I doubt Tua makes it to the podium in New York without playing in the fourth quarter though.
Probably not...but what a story if he did...and it's not completely out of the question.

Nov. 3 is the key moment if this were to happen. From what I can tell (just the eye test), LSU is likely the best team left on our regular season schedule. So get thru LSU and you never know!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I doubt Tua makes it to the podium in New York without playing in the fourth quarter though.
Reasoning? He is the leader now without taking more than a few snaps in the 3rd quarter. The Heisman has awarded many players without the best stats, especially QBs on undefeated teams.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think the LSU game can wrap up the Heisman for Tua if he does well. However if Tua would have a bad game and throw a couple of interceptions then things become uncertain because some critics would say he accumulated his impressive numbers against weak opponents.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree - Murray is legit and his stats are incredible. This would be a very tight race if the Sooners had not lost to Texas.
Agreed. It would help Tua a ton if they would lose again and Murray would have another couple turnovers in the loss.
I feel the opposite if Tua doesn't play a 4th quarter all year because we are blowing people out then I would think its almost a guarantee he wins it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That is not really on Haskins. He is running the plays called.
To reiterate, I don't think Haskins is a bad QB and I earlier in this thread actually said I thought he was the biggest threat to Tua (in part because Ohio State stood a good chance of being undefeated at the time). But, his performances are simply not on the same level. I also don't think either of us believe they could just switch places and the results would be the same, Haskins is a solid candidate but if Tua can keep it up he's playing at a historic level. Even Tua's biggest fans probably didn't think his rating would be 60 points higher than last year.
Unless this can be read as something else (Tua getting Hurt), I think it could be central to his candidacy. I mean if he goes against LSU and beats them so soundly he's not needed in the fourth? That would be a major story, and I think he could coast to the award off of that. Having said that, I wouldn't bet on it, Saban isn't pulling Tua early unless he's hurt or it's a massive lead and LSU is good enough it's hard to imagine beating them by 5 TDs or something.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think rgw is meaning Tua eventually has to play in the fourth quarter, not that he can't get to NYC without playing in the fourth quarter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.