Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I should clarify that my point is Murray isn't really closing. It's not a stats competition, although it's hard not to notice what Murray is doing...
Fair. I wouldn't say he's closing in exactly but id say he has a real shot if Tua slips up at all.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Fair. I wouldn't say he's closing in exactly but id say he has a real shot if Tua slips up at all.
Simply disagree. Tua could slip up some, meaning having just a decent game once or twice, but it would have to be pretty bad to fall from the top. It's just not going to happen under normal circumstances. Tua has everything going for him. He could probably sit out the Citadel without it affecting his standing at all. It is so much more than stats.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Simply disagree. Tua could slip up some, meaning having just a decent game once or twice, but it would have to be pretty bad to fall from the top. It's just not going to happen under normal circumstances. Tua has everything going for him. He could probably sit out the Citadel without it affecting his standing at all. It is so much more than stats.
Yup, it's so much more than the numbers - just look at the coverage Tua has gotten vs KM. It's night and day. In fact, I'd bet most Heisman voters don't even know that Murray is putting up similar numbers to Tua this season.

Unless Tua just melts down, I can't see Murray catching him. And Murray is having a PHENOMENAL season!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'd agree that Murray is putting the most pressure on Tua, but right now the only thing that gives him a chance is really a combination of two things. If Tua struggles a lot down the stretch, and Murray wins out (which would include a Big 12 championship and winning the showdown with Grier). Murray will gain momentum and pick up some of the support Grier has if that happens, but Tua is going to be able to showcase his talent against Miss. State, Auburn, and Georgia. Unless he looks bad doing it, he'll be wrapping up the reward in the process.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I guess it depends on the definition of slip up because having a decent game wasn't necessarily what I meant. I'd said earlier if he had a bad game.

Also, if he is just decent from here on out an Murray puts up big numbers in his big games that are left it definitely would get interesting IMO. Depends on what "decent" really means.

FWIW I think Tua is going to win it and win it big because he'll likely show out like he has been. Just don't think Murray is out of it yet while a the other candidates basically are.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Since Heisman voters must cast their ballots before championship games are played they usually only have the regular season stats to look at comparing players, so they are left wondering "How would the player I want to vote for do under pressure in a championship environment?" This is where Tua has a huge advantage over Murray and others because voters already know how Tua can do under pressure in such an environment. I think that is what puts him over the top and wins the award.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Since Heisman voters must cast their ballots before championship games are played they usually only have the regular season stats to look at comparing players, so they are left wondering "How would the player I want to vote for do under pressure in a championship environment?" This is where Tua has a huge advantage over Murray and others because voters already know how Tua can do under pressure in such an environment. I think that is what puts him over the top and wins the award.
Sorry to correct but this is false. The Ballots are due immediately after Championship weekend. That is why Mark was able to hold on and win in 2009..... he had an awful game against AU but rebounded against FLA in the SECCG with 189 Total Yards and 3 TD's.

This is also why the BIG12 has their final regular season games on Championship weekend so they can keep their guys in the spotlight.

So this year Tua will be playing UGA and Murray will face WV on the same final weekend before ballots are due.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I posted few threads ago explaining their process. This is what I said: " 1. Electronic ballots will go out to 870 media members plus 58 former winners on Monday, November 27. They have until Monday, December 4, at 5 p.m. ET, to return their ballots to Deloitte, the accounting firm that tabulates the votes." This year, it's November 26th.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sorry to correct but this is false. The Ballots are due immediately after Championship weekend. That is why Mark was able to hold on and win in 2009..... he had an awful game against AU but rebounded against FLA in the SECCG with 189 Total Yards and 3 TD's.

This is also why the BIG12 has their final regular season games on Championship weekend so they can keep their guys in the spotlight.

So this year Tua will be playing UGA and Murray will face WV on the same final weekend before ballots are due.
I think the trophy will already be decided before the championship game. I know people were upset last year that most ballots were turned in before the championship weekend.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I think the trophy will already be decided before the championship game. I know people were upset last year that most ballots were turned in before the championship weekend.
Oh I agree. My whole premise for this thread is that's it's already over and been decided barring some freakish event/collapse.

As long as Tua keeps on averging 265+ Yards and 3TD's like he's been doing then NO ONE can catch him now..... not even Murray no matter what he does.

The narrative has already been set in stone for the most part..... "Sophomore Hawaiian Sensation QB transforms CNS's team into an unbeatable Offensive Juggernaut that's actually FUN to watch".

He's the Best Player on the Best Team...... heck He's the Best Player on ANY team. That's not just my opinion..... that's almost everyone's opinion right now. He's exudes Charisma and Swagger and it's infused the entire team on both sides of the ball.

Our own fanbase (some anyway) seems to have blinders on or something...... or they are afraid to get excited about their player winning a Heisman for some reason....

But Tua went into Death Valley..... at night....against the #3 Team in the country.....who even now is still ranked at #7...

And he DROPPED 344 yards and 3 TD's on them .....including a DAGGER 44 yard TD sprint on a janky knee outrunning their entire "DBU" secondary!!! Hello *HEISMAN MOMENT ALERT*

For the CFB Country that was a MIC DROP.......reflected by the new Vegas odds.

But some are still 'but some bad luck could happen, it's not over yet, Tua might have a bad game *mumble grumble* etc etc.....

Stop being negative.... BE POSITIVE!!! We are witnessing GREATNESS right now.

Myself I'm going to continue enjoying it and the eeyores can eeyore over it like all the hand wringing with the CFP last year.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I guess I always seem to omit a word that changes how others interpret my comments. What I meant was that Heisman voters must cast their ballots before NATIONAL championship games are played. In national championship games (and semifinal games for that matter) voters can finally see (after the fact however) how players perform against elite competition. Players do not always face the best competition in conference championships because sometimes their opponents are merely good but not great teams. For example, whatever team Kyler Murray faces in the Big 12 championship will not be as good as a Clemson, Bama, Michigan, ND, or UGA. At that point nobody would still know how Murray would do against the best of the best. My point was that last season the voters got to see Tua play in a national championship game against an elite opponent and lead a comeback to victory which is something Heisman voters rarely get a chance to see before a Heisman vote. Sorry for the confusion.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Just heard on JOX that Tua's Heisman odds are now off the board. At the last minute odds were up, you'd have to risk $20 to win $1 betting on him.

That's a good sign, no? :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Are we sure he wasn't talking about national championship? In my mind there's a big difference. Tua has already performed on that stage and done well, but Murray has at best a play-in game for the playoffs as his big stage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just heard on JOX that Tua's Heisman odds are now off the board. At the last minute odds were up, you'd have to risk $20 to win $1 betting on him.

That's a good sign, no? :)
LOL - if true, that would be a first.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Are we sure he wasn't talking about national championship? In my mind there's a big difference. Tua has already performed on that stage and done well, but Murray has at best a play-in game for the playoffs as his big stage.
There was some miscommunication for sure. His post sounded like he was talking about League Championship Games after the regular season not being taken into account.

To me the SECCG is the postseason as much as the Bowls and Playoffs.

The 'Regular Season' is games 1-12.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
They have a thread about Tua on tigerdroppings. They are begrudgingly giving their respect and saying it's hard to hate him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.