Tua's Heisman Campaign watch - Page 2
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Re: Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_N_Va View Post
    I remember some years ago Ingram and Richardson were having a good year and all the talk for the week leading up to the South Carolina game was what their nicknames would be, Salt/Pepper, Fast/Furious, etc. I remember Bama getting blown out too, the score never reflected the true domination or total lack of focus from the Bama side. I'll tell you one thing, didn't hear any talk about nicknames after that game and hence why I'm not liking Heisman talk THIS EARLY in the year. Its just another form of Rat Poison to me...
    So you think that what people post on Tidefans directly affects how the players perform?

Feel free to discuss what you want, but I'm a bit less superstitious.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

2. Advertisement

I remember some years ago Ingram and Richardson were having a good year and all the talk for the week leading up to the South Carolina game was what their nicknames would be, Salt/Pepper, Fast/Furious, etc. I remember Bama getting blown out too, the score never reflected the true domination or total lack of focus from the Bama side. I'll tell you one thing, didn't hear any talk about nicknames after that game and hence why I'm not liking Heisman talk THIS EARLY in the year. Its just another form of Rat Poison to me...
    Yep. Ingram and Richardson having nicknames is the reason Alabama lost to South Carolina that day.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Tua is firmly in the Heisman discussion and should remain so, although it’s a very new season.

In a way, he had his “moment” on 2nd and 26. It catapulted him into this year. He’s getting a lot of attention nationally.

It’s the name, his charisma, his playing style. Add to that he could orchestrate a nearly unstoppable offense for the front-running #1 team as they try to repeat...yeah, I like his chances a lot.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

He will win it as long as his playing time isn't messed up. I don't like the rotation scheme but, you know, I'm not Nick Saban. He's forgotten more about the game than I will ever know.

I agree, Grier at WVU is his main competition at this point. But I take caution with WVU QBs. I remember Geno Smith setting the world on fire for about 5 weeks a few years ago and then he fell off the map. Proceed with caution on the Mountaineers, but the Big 12 is OU/WVU and literally nothing else so there's that.

BamaNation First Team

We won’t see Jalen playing meaningful snaps this season unless Tua gets hurt. What Tua did Saturday was perfect. He was flawless, but left us wanting more while someone else was playing. The Heisman isn’t all about stats. It’s about moments, and I think Tua will have plenty of those.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    He will win it as long as his playing time isn't messed up. I don't like the rotation scheme but, you know, I'm not Nick Saban. He's forgotten more about the game than I will ever know.

I agree, Grier at WVU is his main competition at this point. But I take caution with WVU QBs. I remember Geno Smith setting the world on fire for about 5 weeks a few years ago and then he fell off the map. Proceed with caution on the Mountaineers, but the Big 12 is OU/WVU and literally nothing else so there's that.
    I think it's going to be Grier. I don't think Tua will get enough playing time and we will have too much of a running game. WVU could end up in some shootouts because their defense can't hold up. So he'll stay in the full game and throw for 500 yards and 5 tds. Tua will throw for 200 yards, 2-3 tds and leave the game at halfttime because the score will be 35-7 or something.

If our defense starts letting people score, it actually increases Tua's likelihood as he'll have to stay in the game to keep the scoring margin in our favor. If we stay healthy on defense, I don't like his chances.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I don't think his playing time and gross stats will matter as much as what he does with the snaps that he gets. If he is as efficient as he was last Saturday and continues to make highlight reel plays several times a game, and if the team takes care of business, he will be in New York at the very least. He already has a reputation around the country for being Mr. Clutch. 2nd and 26 will do that for you.

But like others have said here, and I bet Tua would agree, what matters is winning the Natty. Heisman is just the cherry on top.

BamaNation First Team

I don't know if Tua will get enough playing time to build gaudy numbers and the first game it probably too early to gauge these things, but after week 1 he leads the nation in qb rating...

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Tua lead the team to TDs on five of his six drives. Without the turnover they would have scored again (well, at least attempted a FG). If he is anywhere near that pace I would think that is more impressive than gross yardage/TDs.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I think it's going to be Grier. I don't think Tua will get enough playing time and we will have too much of a running game. WVU could end up in some shootouts because their defense can't hold up. So he'll stay in the full game and throw for 500 yards and 5 tds. Tua will throw for 200 yards, 2-3 tds and leave the game at halfttime because the score will be 35-7 or something.

If our defense starts letting people score, it actually increases Tua's likelihood as he'll have to stay in the game to keep the scoring margin in our favor. If we stay healthy on defense, I don't like his chances.
    I agree that he won't be able to keep up with Grier's stats. Grier will play the entire game whether WVU is blowing people out or in shootouts every week. But I think it could help Tua that, playing at Alabama, he will be in several national televised "big" games this year. WVU just doesn't have a lot of games other than Oklahoma that are going to resonate. They've got NC State in a couple of weeks and then they start the Big 12 schedule which is setting up to be utterly lackluster. I will say that they finish with Oklahoma State and Oklahoma, likely the only other contenders in the conference, and then there is the Big 12 title game which will be a rematch with one of those 2. If he has a strong finish with those 2 or 3 games, it could vault him over the top.

With Alabama's schedule, you've got several games this year that are going to be CBS 2:30 type games. I'm not looking at a national schedule so these are just examples of possibilities: Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi State, LSU and Auburn are all the types of games that will be broadcast to a national audience. A few of those could be tough games for us to win, thus providing the dramatic moments that can bring you a Heisman. Then you've got game in Atlanta against a Florida or Georgia that gives him another chance to grab all the spotlight. While I think Mark Ingram and Derrick Henry were the most deserving players when they won the award, what got them past the media favorites from Stanford (ironically, both years) was the enormity of playing at Alabama in those big games. I think that helps Tua overcome the stats difference, assuming he doesn't lose too much playing time to the rotation scheme.

BamaNation First Team

Football is a team sport, Please, stop the Heisman talk...
    ehhh. You are on the SEC Rant Alabama website with a similar username aren't you?

What you think about Tua now?

BamaNation Second Team grlindsey08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    don't click on the link if the discussion bothers you.
    thank you!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

“Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself.” - Coach Paul "Bear Bryant"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

I expect Tua to get ample playing time. Bama fatigue is his biggest opponent in the Heisman race.