Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
The only reason his stats have slumped is because of the borderline illegal play both upfront and in the secondary that the last few defenses have elected to play against us.

Its obvious to me the other teams know they cant beat our 11 on the field so they have decided to challenge the 8 officials on the field. The officials won't call a penalty on every play even though the likely could because the game would likely take forever to end.

Essentially I think we are going to have to match the same borderline play in the rest of our games just to call attention and force the officials to call the game evenly. If they mug, we mug.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
This is the biggest factor imo. I'll admit that since Tua's had the brace he has floated passes high when he can't plant...BUT...

There are a BUNCH of other plays where he actually makes a DIME throw that looks like a bad pass because the DB's are MUGGING our WR's for 10-15 to even 20 yards down the field uninterrupted and that dang blasted refs are not throwing flags for holding!!

Tua is throwing to where he expects his WR to be..... and where HE WOULD BE..... IF.... the opposing DB didn't have a fistful of jersey near the whole play.

It's infuriating witnessing these Refs give other teams unfair advantages the last 2 games specifically. At this point I guess the only thing we can do is commit holding against the other team until it's called.

But as of right now I expect AU and UGA to grab Jeudy, Waddle, Ruggs III, and Smitty and ride them down the sideline making deep timing completions almost impossible.

Forget ANY type of fade.... just burn those plays from the playbook.

We are only going to get teams deep on double moves, quick mid-hitters, and or underneath to a RB or released TE up the seam.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is the biggest factor imo. I'll admit that since Tua's had the brace he has floated passes high when he can't plant...BUT...

There are a BUNCH of other plays where he actually makes a DIME throw that looks like a bad pass because the DB's are MUGGING our WR's for 10-15 to even 20 yards down the field uninterrupted and that dang blasted refs are not throwing flags for holding!!

Tua is throwing to where he expects his WR to be..... and where HE WOULD BE..... IF.... the opposing DB didn't have a fistful of jersey near the whole play.

It's infuriating witnessing these Refs give other teams unfair advantages the last 2 games specifically. At this point I guess the only thing we can do is commit holding against the other team until it's called.

But as of right now I expect AU and UGA to grab Jeudy, Waddle, Ruggs III, and Smitty and ride them down the sideline making deep timing completions almost impossible.

We are only going to get teams deep on double moves, quick mid-hitters, and or underneath to a RB or released TE up the seam.
I haven't kept up with UGA but I know AU grabs receivers all the way down until they get whistles. Then they complain all the next week...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I haven't kept up with UGA but I know AU grabs receivers all the way down until they get whistles. Then they complain all the next week...
I haven't watched UGA closely either but I'd bet Kirby will notice it's been successful for other teams.

Add that to his Brazen tendency to do almost anything to gain an advantage vs Us no matter the etiquette or heavy bending of rules...

He will most certainly have his guys grab ours all the way down the field too.

At this point I think the only way it's going to change in SEC play is for CNS to go Gene Stallings on the Officials until they start calling the fouls.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

No remaining team's secondary can continually run with our WRs throughout the game UNLESS they hold.

The only reason Tua is injured in the first place is because other teams decided they were going to do anything to make him hold the ball longer even if it meant gambling on a 15yd PI call. It's been a good gamble too because it hasn't been called.

The OCs and Tua have been slow to adjust tbh waiting a little longer in the pocket trying to make the throws that were there in the first half of the season that aren't there now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
So, you’re the OC. How do you combat the egregious holds scheming wise? What plays work against an overly aggressive back field?

The only thing I can think of is screen them to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, you’re the OC. How do you combat the egregious holds scheming wise? What plays work against an overly aggressive back field?

You have to use your arms, as a receiver, to get separation at the LOS. Think like a DE or DT - there are all kinds of swim motions that are totally legal and would give the receivers a much more free release at the LOS. And you have to do this in practice, because it changes the timing of routes. A half second could be the difference between a receiver catching the ball in stride and a defender intercepting the pass.

Receivers who cannot learn to get a good release do not make it in the NFL, but most never even learn the skill in college.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ideally you should be able to run the ball vs. the defense we are seeing now.

But if that's not working either we have to create mismatches in the underneath passing game. Have to throw to our RB's and/or TE's matched up with LB's.

With the WR's we have to run shallow crossing routes, slants, and screens with the agenda to catch it quick and short (before the holding can happen) and run fast and far.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One other point - even if you get a free release at the LOS, good DBs are going to be glued to the receivers. You will get your catches, but the runs for 50 yards after the catch will be few and far between when playing teams like LSU and MSU.

As an example, Clemson and Georgia do not do well there. Get your receivers the ball in space and you can score on both of them from anywhere on the field. But not against MSU or LSU (or UM).

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Tua looked great yesterday and back to his old self again.

He also did some repair work on his stats and has retaken command of Passer Rating and YPA.

Tua's Passer Rating is now 212.22 (1st) and his YPA is 12.1 (1st)....Oh and his TD:INT Ratio is 15.5 to 1 (1st)

Murray's Passer Rating is now 205.82 (2nd), his YPA is 11.9 (2nd) and his TD:INT Ratio is 5.6 to 1 (7th)

Murray has more passing yardage at 3,310 to Tua's 2,865 but that a result of pure volume of passes just like anyone else ahead of Tua.

Murray averages 4 more Attempts per game..... If Tua had those same extra attempts he would have 3,397 Yards.

I expect that by Tuesday Vegas will have Tua's lead increase back to -1000 or more.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
Tua and KM are far and away the 2 best players in college football. Personally I think they'll be 1-2 in the voting with Tua winning but the one thing I'd put in KM's favor is the load he carrys. Tua has help from a D that keeps Alabama in games. Murray knows that he must lead his team to a score virtually every time he walks on the field. The pressure to play mistake free and score every possession is palpable. Mayfield did not have the same pressure. Our D last year had its moments. This year it's the worst I've ever seen by an OU team. Murray in ky mind and for this reason is better than Baker. I can't necessarily say he's better than Tua because Tua has not been in such an I've have to lead my team to score every time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tua and KM are far and away the 2 best players in college football. Personally I think they'll be 1-2 in the voting with Tua winning but the one thing I'd put in KM's favor is the load he carrys. Tua has help from a D that keeps Alabama in games. Murray knows that he must lead his team to a score virtually every time he walks on the field. The pressure to play mistake free and score every possession is palpable. Mayfield did not have the same pressure. Our D last year had its moments. This year it's the worst I've ever seen by an OU team. Murray in ky mind and for this reason is better than Baker. I can't necessarily say he's better than Tua because Tua has not been in such an I've have to lead my team to score every time.
I agree, but you don't get extra points for playing on a crappy team. Not that the Sooners are crappy, but that is essentially your point. Also, Alabama has at least 2 losses this year without Tua, so he is just as important to his team as any player in the country.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree, but you don't get extra points for playing on a crappy team. Not that the Sooners are crappy, but that is essentially your point. Also, Alabama has at least 2 losses this year without Tua, so he is just as important to his team as any player in the country.
Agreed and as I said on another thread, if Tua's defense was as bad as OU's he would be playing full games and he would have more TD's and passing yds than KM.
KM is a great player.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
The point also still remains that Tua is on average facing Defenses far superior to what Murray is facing.

No offense to Murray... I really think he's a great player and at worst the 2nd best QB in CFB......but...

If Tua and Murray hypothetically swapped conferences Tua's numbers would skyrocket and Murray's would take a hit.

The Big12 defenses are straight garbage from top to bottom. That's not Murray's fault but it's still a factor.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The point also still remains that Tua is on average facing Defenses far superior to what Murray is facing.

No offense to Murray... I really think he's a great player and at worst the 2nd best QB in CFB......but...

If Tua and Murray hypothetically swapped conferences Tua's numbers would skyrocket and Murray's would take a hit.

The Big12 defenses are straight garbage from top to bottom. That's not Murray's fault but it's still a factor.
This. So much this.

Tua has faced two defenses ranked in the top 10 in the nation in defensive passer rating.

The two best defenses Murray has faced in that same stat? Currently ranked 48th and 55th in the nation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Take away all of Murrary's 4th quarter stats and then compare them to Tua's . Tua has thrown all of one pass in the 4th quarter all year. That would be interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.