Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I hope he doesn't because that would split regional votes between Q and Tua.
I doubt that QW would take much if anything away from Tua. The ballots including QW would likely have him 2nd or 3rd and Tua 1st.

Edit: I just saw TiderJack's post rendering this one irrelevant.

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
What the average fan doesn't realize is that the Heisman is the most 'outstanding' college football player whose performance "Best" exhibits the *pursuit* of excellence with Integrity. <--- Key. The Heisman winner should epitomize Great Ability combined with Diligence, Perseverance, and Hard Work.

Okay,.. Tua and Kyler Murray have the Great Ability covered. (Stats)

However -- this is Ability with greatest INTEGRITY.

Let's examine that word specifically, Integrity -- As Tua and Kyler's stats are teetering about as equal as you could imagine.

So when you read the LITERAL definition of Integrity (What the Heisman is BASED upon all other things being equal) ... Who , of Tua Tagovailoa and Kyler Murray, Do you HONESTLY think of? [No homer, no crimson glasses, but HONESTLY].

(I'll leave it at that).

Now -- The Heisman Trophy are based on "Campaigns" ... Campaigns are organized courses of action to achieve a particular goal.

Heisman Campaigns are created by the Heisman candidates and their actions (on and off the field) AND in large part by the Media perception. The media perception is greatly influenced by the fans as a majority as well over the course of the season. (And vice versa).

Tua's Heisman Campaign started in as brilliant of a fashion as possible -- In the National Championship game against Georgia. What Tua did as a Freshman captured the country for hours, days, weeks, and months. We're now far enough removed that the media isn't "LOST" in that moment anymore. However it's still indelibly etched into every heisman voters MIND -- what that kid did that historic evening for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

This is something Kyler Murray didn't do -- And fair or not, doesn't have in his 'campaign'.

A Heisman Candidates Campaign is basically a long storyline that leads voters to their conclusion of who should be voted at the #1 spot.. as let's be honest.. runners up mean very little.

What else did Tua do that Kyler didn't?

Tua Tagovailoa beat out an AMAZING Quarterback who had a record of 26 Wins, 2 Losses as a Starter for the Alabama Crimson Tide. Who brought the Alabama team to the National Championship, as the primary QB, in his freshman AND Sophomore seasons. This Quarterback, as we all know, is Jalen Hurts (an Amazing Human Being and Athlete). Somehow Tua did this without bitterness.

Tua has gifts that are hard to explain -- Both in the way he plays , throws the ball, dissects defenses, "sees" the field, and ultimately can find space that other GREAT QB's just can't do. (That' Kyler Murray CANNOT do at the same level). Tua has gifts OFF the field as well --

Tua's personality is magnetic. He's also a truly amazing human being (and athlete).

There is a MASSIVE difference between Tua Tagovailoa and Kyler Murray in my opinion. With the stats as close as they are I don't see this race as even REMOTELY close.

Tua Tagovailoa is essentially a TRUE 5 star athlete who is playing NFL Caliber football at the collegiate level. Tua is not Great because he plays for Alabama. Alabama's offense is GREAT because Tua chose to play here. (Now, this offense is HISTORIC because of the combination of the coach(es), It's Leader -- Tua Tagovailoa, his 'weapons -- The receivers + HB's,.. and his warriors (The O-line). )

Kyler Murray is a TRUE 4 star Quarterback who is playing top tier College Football at the collegiate level. Kyler Murray is a GREAT Athlete but he's not an NFL QB. (I realize Heisman does not = NFL). But that's where it ends. Kyler Murray doesn't have all these other attributes that Tua possesses himself or is surrounded with.

These things I speak of (and they are too many to list) are what separate these two players in this Heisman Race.

Unfortunately for Tua - The Media has suddenly jumped on the Kyler Murray bandwagon and is pushing a new narrative that Kyler Murray is BACK in the race -- The Kyler Murray has closed the gap -- In some cases that Kyler Murray is BETTER and will WIN the Heisman.

Also unfortunately -- The Media votes by MASSIVE majority on who wins this award.

Though the media hasn't forgotten all I've said. The media haven't forgotten Tua plays on the BEST, #1 Ranked, undefeated TEAM -- Not the 6th ranked team who HAS been defeated this year.

The media hasn't forgotten that Tua's team is COMPLETE. That Tua's team has a truly elite defense to go with the best offense in the country led by Tua himself. While... Kyler leads another top of the mark offense but on an incomplete team with a VERY poor defense.

Bottom line: Tua Tagovailoa looked as healthy as he has since the first week of October in his most recent game. Tua Tagovailoa had his knee brace off for the first time since mid season. Tua Tagovailoa broke > 70% Accuracy passing for the FIRST time since he was injured against Arkansas... with his unbelievable 81.8% completion percentage on 22 passes for 340 Yards while he accounted to 4 Touchdowns with a 256.6 Efficiency Rating <-- His highest by FAR since the Arkansas Injury Game.

Essentially -- Tua is BACK. He's back to as close to 100% form as he's going to be and those numbers look more than amazing. With Tua it's not the opponent so much as it has been his injury/knee and that brace that plagued him for so many games. Though even with it he maintained Heisman caliber performances.

So as long as Tua 'maintains' and is victorious in his next two games .. while the Heisman Voters are garnering their FINAL Impressions... The Heisman Trophy is his.

Regardless of this: Tua would tell you (and I agree) that the goals of the team come WAY before the Heisman. That the SEC West Division Title comes before personal goals,.. that the SEC Championship comes well before his own accolade,.. and bringing the Alabama nation their first 15-0 season EVER along with a back to back, 18th, National Championship is, and has been, his primary focus.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What the average fan doesn't realize is that the Heisman is the most 'outstanding' college football player whose performance "Best" exhibits the *pursuit* of excellence with Integrity.
The Heisman stopped being about integrity a long time ago. I doubt that a single voter even considers it in their process.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The Heisman stopped being about integrity a long time ago. I doubt that a single voter even considers it in their process.
I think that when Winston won proved that. But, Tua may be the first candidate we have seen in years that exudes Eagle Scout attributes. It may help this year.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Just so we’re clear, we’re not players, we’re not on the staff, we’re fans, nothing we say is gonna have any impact on how the team focuses. So it’s okay to root for both a National Championship and a Heisman Trophy for Tua.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It is okay to want the individual awards and championship at the same time. I want the players to get awards and also win championship.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
If Tua plays well these next two weeks, then he should win the Heisman. I still fear Bama fatigue might work against him though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.