Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would say Gaskin and Grier last night went ahead of Tua because of great performances on the road. Gaskin more than Grier because he went against Mcsorely . Alabama blowing folks out by halftime is probably the thing that will prevent Tua from getting it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Some treats for you Rat-Poison lovers....

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1046395679357243392

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1046420490196267013

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1046089857964085253

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1044651479502606336

I'll add that right now Tua is #1 in the country in QBR (238.32), #2 in Comp% (75%), #2 in Yards per Attempt (13.2), #1 in INT's (ZERO), and 8th in TD Passes (14).

Keep in mind that he isn't getting any wear NEAR the reps per game as most D1 starters. He's not even in the Top 100 in attempts!!!!

He's getting 17.6 per game (88 Total).

92 QB's have 100+ Attempts, 60 QB's have 130+ Attempts, 43 QB's have 140+ Attempts.

Tua's production in such limited game time is ASTONISHING!!!

If we charted out him just having Top 60 Attempts (130 Total) or 26 per game his projected stats right now would be:

98 of 130 (75%)
1,715 Passing Yards
13.2 yards/attempt
21 Passing TD's/0 INT's

If he starts getting more playing time including going deep into some 3rd qtrs and even a couple 4th quarters....... man they might as well start engraving the Trophy.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Some treats for you Rat-Poison lovers....

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1046395679357243392

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1046420490196267013

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1046089857964085253

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1044651479502606336

I'll add that right now Tua is #1 in the country in QBR (238.32), #2 in Comp% (75%), #2 in Yards per Attempt (13.2), #1 in INT's (ZERO), and 8th in TD Passes (14).

Keep in mind that he isn't getting any wear NEAR the reps per game as most D1 starters. He's not even in the Top 100 in attempts!!!!

He's getting 17.6 per game (88 Total).

92 QB's have 100+ Attempts, 60 QB's have 130+ Attempts, 43 QB's have 140+ Attempts.

Tua's production in such limited game time is ASTONISHING!!!

If we charted out him just having Top 60 Attempts (130 Total) or 26 per game his projected stats right now would be:

98 of 130 (75%)
1,715 Passing Yards
13.2 yards/attempt
21 Passing TD's/0 INT's

If he starts getting more playing time including going deep into some 3rd qtrs and even a couple 4th quarters....... man they might as well start engraving the Trophy.

Great summary and info. There’s no questioning his superior efficiency. I have a feeling though that Tua won’t even sniff the 4th quarter of a game until we play in Baton Rouge. The only other game I see him in that late is against Auburn. I’m not as concerned about State after seeing them get pushed around by Kentucky and losing at home to Florida.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Tua could end up with a new NCAA record for QBR. The current record holder is Baker Mayfield at 198.9 set just last season. Both Kyler Murray and Will Grier are 200+ as well right now.

EDIT: Mayfield has the record at the FBS level. There were some QB's at other levels who had a 200+ QBR at seasons end.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Haskings Heisman hopes nearly came crashing down, he got bailed out by bad coaching calls and a Penn State secondary that fell apart.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Great stats! According to BamaOnLine, Tua has started 35 drives, with 24 resulting in Touchdowns and 2 ending with field goals.

I know that three of his touchdown drives had missed PATs. Not sure how many of his had missed FGs.

Just going with numbers, (24 touchdowns with 21 PATs and 2 FG) divided by 35 drives = 4.9 points per drive.

So when Tua starts a drive, we average nearly five points on that drive.

We have been averaging about 13 drives per game. So if Tua played every drive for us. We would average between 60 and 65 points per game.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Great summary and info. There’s no questioning his superior efficiency. I have a feeling though that Tua won’t even sniff the 4th quarter of a game until we play in Baton Rouge. The only other game I see him in that late is against Auburn. I’m not as concerned about State after seeing them get pushed around by Kentucky and losing at home to Florida.
That's probably true but if he keeps playing at the same efficiency levels he still could win.

Most if not all of the National talking heads have him #1 right now or Top 3 at worst.

His main competition is Kyler Murray, Will Grier, and Dwayne Haskins.

WVU will lose 2 or more games most likely. tOSU and Oklahoma could both drop 1 game each.

If we go 13-0 and BLAST LSU, AU, and UGA with Tua leading the way I will feel good about his chances.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I wonder how many minutes he has played compared to the other candidates? You can’t say he is playing to pad his stats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wonder how many minutes he has played compared to the other candidates? You can’t say he is playing to pad his stats.
Tua has thrown a lot less than Haskins or Grier. Murray is the only one who is really keeping pace, not just throwing more passes.

To give an example, if you merged Tua and Hurts stats, he'd still have the second best passer rating but here's what the passing totals would be like:
Tua/Hurts 125 attempts, 1,555 yards, 19 TDs
Murray 109 attempts, 1469 yards, 17 TDs
Grier 136 attempts, 1487 yards, 17 TDs
Haskins 154 attempts, 1464 yards, 19 TDs

So, clearly Grier and Haskins are putting up bigger numbers simply because they're playing more.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Haskings Heisman hopes nearly came crashing down, he got bailed out by bad coaching calls and a Penn State secondary that fell apart.
Actually it improved from that game. He just had a heisman moment bringing them back from two scores. Tua will probably need one to to win it, or else its going to be "Bama played a soft schedule while tOSU had two difficult road games in which Haskins brought them back".

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
FWIW, I saw a stat from PFF that 235 of Haskins 270 passing yards vs Penn State came AFTER the catch. That's pretty incredible and squares with the fact that he looked pretty mediocre despite his numbers.

I would love to see the season long numbers for all 4 QBs when it comes to yards after catch.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Maybe they won't look at his 4th quarter stats. [emoji15][emoji23]

Tua by the quarter:
1st: 30-42, 596 yards, 8 TDs
2nd: 24-27, 337 yards, 4 TDs
3rd: 12-19, 228 yards, 2 TDs
4th: 0-0, 0 yards, 0 TDs

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Actually it improved from that game. He just had a heisman moment bringing them back from two scores. Tua will probably need one to to win it, or else its going to be "Bama played a soft schedule while tOSU had two difficult road games in which Haskins brought them back".
Since it technically happened in 2018 can't we just use the walk off TD in overtime of the championship game in lieu of something just as miraculous?

Not sure any team will put up enough of a fight in order for him to do something like that again. We'd really have to be in a pit and with our team, if we are healthy and motivated, I just don't see it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Since it technically happened in 2018 can't we just use the walk off TD in overtime of the championship game in lieu of something just as miraculous?

Not sure any team will put up enough of a fight in order for him to do something like that again. We'd really have to be in a pit and with our team, if we are healthy and motivated, I just don't see it.
Maybe, but you got to remember who votes on the Heisman trophy. Alot of media and former heisman winners (more power to the media) . Alot of here and now voters that have whinned about our schedule that actually will have the power to keep us from accomplishing something. Dont think for a minute that they wouldnt try it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I understand the argument that his stats might not be strong enough to win it this year. My guess is, if that's the case, then he might well win it after his second season starting for Bama. A cumulative effect, so to speak.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Doesn't matter when that TD happened, it has been in the minds of every college football fan ever since it happened, and is the kind of thing that pre-emptively quells any doubts anyone may have about how the guy performs under pressure against elite competition.

Maybe, but you got to remember who votes on the Heisman trophy. Alot of media and former heisman winners (more power to the media) . Alot of here and now voters that have whinned about our schedule that actually will have the power to keep us from accomplishing something. Dont think for a minute that they wouldnt try it.
Nah. The talking heads love Tua and former winners are in the best position to appreciate what he is achieving.

Plus, all the other front runners are from outside the southeast, so unless Kentucky goes undefeated and Benny Snell breaks some SEC records or something, then there won't be much regional vote splitting.

I like his chances provided the season ends the way it has begun.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Actually it improved from that game. He just had a heisman moment bringing them back from two scores.
Yes it improved, but only because he won. He was lousy for much of that game and even the scoring plays had more to do with Penn State not tackling than anything else. Had Penn State won, the narrative would have been that McSorley outplayed Haskins and that Haskins was mediocre in a loss.

Just so we're clear here, Haskins rating against Penn State was the same as Hurts rating against Clemson last year. He was not good and he got bailed out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes it improved, but only because he won. He was lousy for much of that game and even the scoring plays had more to do with Penn State not tackling than anything else. Had Penn State won, the narrative would have been that McSorley outplayed Haskins and that Haskins was mediocre in a loss.

Just so we're clear here, Haskins rating against Penn State was the same as Hurts rating against Clemson last year. He was not good and he got bailed out.
Lamar Jackson won the heisman because of a loss to Clemson when Watson was clearly the best player in the country.

Johnny Football won the heisman off one great half followed by a mediocre half vs Alabama

RGIII won the heisman large off one decent game vs OU

Cam beat out Luck off of one half vs Bama after a horrible 1st half.

Dont discount heisman moments, and whether you agree or not Haskin has 2 this year. The media may be in favor of Tua now, but lets see in about a month because thats when you know.

FWIW im 55% that Tua wins it, but I think if he has a moment then its a lock, but without it then you are putting it up for grabs.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Dont discount heisman moments
Haskins sucked against Penn St. Period. His Heisman hopes almost came crashing down. A loss would have buried him in the list of hopefuls.

I've seen Heisman moments, heck I was there when Johnny Manziel beat Alabama and AJ (who was a candidate himself). I know what they look like, and Haskins did not have one in that game. Try showing a play where Haskins threw a mediocre pass that a receiver had to made a great play to catch, and then watch as he evades keystone cop style defenders to run the ball in. That wasn't a Heisman moment and that was the biggest play of the game.

If Haskins had a Heisman moment that game the bar is set really low for Heisman moments. Keep in mind, it was Haskins poor play that put him in a hole that his receivers and the Penn St. coach had to dig him out of.

Hurts 130 rating against Clemson in a win: "He's terrible, I don't know why he was allowed to finish the game"
Haskins 130 rating against Penn St. in a win that shouldn't have happened: "Heisman moment!"

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.