Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
FWIW im 55% that Tua wins it, but I think if he has a moment then its a lock, but without it then you are putting it up for grabs.
I just wonder if there will be a time when Tua has the chance for a 'Heisman moment'. The way the team is playing, should they remain focused, I'm not sure Tua plays four quarters of any game this season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Haskins sucked against Penn St. Period. His Heisman hopes almost came crashing down. A loss would have buried him in the list of hopefuls.

I've seen Heisman moments, heck I was there when Johnny Manziel beat Alabama and AJ (who was a candidate himself). I know what they look like, and Haskins did not have one in that game. Try showing a play where Haskins threw a mediocre pass that a receiver had to made a great play to catch, and then watch as he evades keystone cop style defenders to run the ball in. That wasn't a Heisman moment and that was the biggest play of the game.

If Haskins had a Heisman moment that game the bar is set really low for Heisman moments. Keep in mind, it was Haskins poor play that put him in a hole that his receivers and the Penn St. coach had to dig him out of.

Hurts 130 rating against Clemson in a win: "He's terrible, I don't know why he was allowed to finish the game"
Haskins 130 rating against Penn St. in a win that shouldn't have happened: "Heisman moment!"
Same can be said about Cam Newton. I think you are putting way too much into stats and what you feel is a heisman moment that you are missing what the press (voters) define them as.

I’m guessing RGIII and Lamar Jackson would never had won if we were going by your interpretation of them. Which fwiw neither were deserving.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just wonder if there will be a time when Tua has the chance for a 'Heisman moment'. The way the team is playing, should they remain focused, I'm not sure Tua plays four quarters of any game this season.
That’s the big worry because I guarantee you the “we play nobody” argument will come into play if there is someone close to Tua.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Haskins isnt going to win it. He's not dynamic enough compared to the others. I cant recall but 1 completed pass that traveled 10 yards vs Penn State. seems like half of all passes were at or behind the LOS. He's good for what OSU does, but he isnt sniffing the heisman

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Haskins isnt going to win it. He's not dynamic enough compared to the others. I cant recall but 1 completed pass that traveled 10 yards vs Penn State. seems like half of all passes were at or behind the LOS. He's good for what OSU does, but he isnt sniffing the heisman
Folks said the same thing about Ingram after the Tennessee and Auburn games

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Media loves a good midwestern or upper-atlantic coast candidate. That’ll be a bump for Haskins so long as he wins and looks productive with all that skill talent.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Idk I would lean towards he doesn’t unless LSU gets a more potent offense.
Tua/Offense hasn’t faced a defense like LSU this season though. Nor has Tua played in an environment like Death Valley, not saying he’ll struggle but we gotta chill on thinking we’re gonna go 12-0 by blowing everybody out by 40.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Tua/Offense hasn’t faced a defense like LSU this season though. Nor has Tua played in an environment like Death Valley, not saying he’ll struggle but we gotta chill on thinking we’re gonna go 12-0 by blowing everybody out by 40.
Yeah but it can be said that LSU hasn’t seen an offense like ours either, and Burrow hasn’t been exactly lighting up even bad defenses.

We may very well lose a game, but I have my doubts that it’s to Burrow. We are basically last year’s Oklahoma offense with a better than average defense. Teams will probably have to score in the 30’s and 40’s to have a chance. Point is I see Missouri and UGA more of a threat to beat us than LSU. Defense alone no longer wins championships...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Yeah but it can be said that LSU hasn’t seen an offense like ours either, and Burrow hasn’t been exactly lighting up even bad defenses.

We may very well lose a game, but I have my doubts that it’s to Burrow. We are basically last year’s Oklahoma offense with a better than average defense. Teams will probably have to score in the 30’s and 40’s to have a chance. Point is I see Missouri and UGA more of a threat to beat us than LSU. Defense alone no longer wins championships...
Agree with all.

Regarding the bolded part - this is so true and very important to understand. Something that CNS has understood.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
For some reason I can't remember when the Heisman voting is due. Do they all have to be in before conference championship games? IIRC a lot of people vote early though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Lamar Jackson won the heisman because of a loss to Clemson when Watson was clearly the best player in the country.

Johnny Football won the heisman off one great half followed by a mediocre half vs Alabama

RGIII won the heisman large off one decent game vs OU

Cam beat out Luck off of one half vs Bama after a horrible 1st half.

Dont discount heisman moments, and whether you agree or not Haskin has 2 this year. The media may be in favor of Tua now, but lets see in about a month because thats when you know.

FWIW im 55% that Tua wins it, but I think if he has a moment then its a lock, but without it then you are putting it up for grabs.
With the exception of Jackson's, the Heisman moments you list came in November. Notable difference from what Haskins has done thus far.
For some reason I can't remember when the Heisman voting is due. Do they all have to be in before conference championship games? IIRC a lot of people vote early though.
IIRC, Monday after conference championship weekend.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
With the exception of Jackson's, the Heisman moments you list came in November. Notable difference from what Haskins has done thus far.

IIRC, Monday after conference championship weekend.
Well that would certainly help Tua's case. If we beat Georgia in the SECCG and Tua STILL hasn't played a 4th quarter or had to lead us to a late win then just give him the Heisman. Heck maybe just give this whole team all the rewards and trophies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
He’ll definitely play 4Q against LSU
Earlier in the season I thought the same thing but after seeing La Tech drop 400 yards of offense on them in Tiger stadium and then watching Ole Miss in a completely crappy showing still put 328 yards on them with a lot of dropped balls and other self inflicted missed opportunities on the offensive side ball. I'm not sure this LSU defense is as good as I first thought.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Earlier in the season I thought the same thing but after seeing La Tech drop 400 yards of offense on them in Tiger stadium and then watching Ole Miss in a completely crappy showing still put 328 yards on them with a lot of dropped balls and other self inflicted missed opportunities on the offensive side ball. I'm not sure this LSU defense is as good as I first thought.
I think Missouri has a better shot at forcing a Tua 4th quarter than LSU. If the other side doesn’t have an offense that can score on our defense then they have no chance. Expecting to keep Tua under 30 points is like expecting to keep Baker Mayfield under 30 points last year... it’s just not going to happen.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.