Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Earlier in the season I thought the same thing but after seeing La Tech drop 400 yards of offense on them in Tiger stadium and then watching Ole Miss in a completely crappy showing still put 328 yards on them with a lot of dropped balls and other self inflicted missed opportunities on the offensive side ball. I'm not sure this LSU defense is as good as I first thought.

I want Florida to beat LSU but I still want LSU to be ranked when we play them. I just don't want the LSU game to decide the West. I still think BAMA will win, but it will be a very tough game at their place.

Tua will play in the 4th quarter. I know that our kicking and punting needs to be at it's best that night. Hopefully our team will be healthy/injury free.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I want Florida to beat LSU but I still want LSU to be ranked when we play them. I just don't want the LSU game to decide the West. I still think BAMA will win, but it will be a very tough game at their place.

Tua will play in the 4th quarter. I know that our kicking and punting needs to be at it's best that night. Hopefully our team will be healthy/injury free.
Ask me before the season or before the ole Miss game then I would say yes he would play the 4th quarter vs LSU, but now I don’t think so. Most of our troubles down at Red Stick has been due to moronic offensive game planning more than the venue and the Tigers themselves. Locks and Enos seem to have a little Spurrier and Jimmy Johnson in them in which they are going to force someone to stop what they are calling before going onto something else. I think we destroy LSU.

Like I said I think it’s more likely that Drew lock turns the game into somewhat of a shootout than LSU keeping pace with us.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Ask me before the season or before the ole Miss game then I would say yes he would play the 4th quarter vs LSU, but now I don’t think so. Most of our troubles down at Red Stick has been due to moronic offensive game planning more than the venue and the Tigers themselves. Locks and Enos seem to have a little Spurrier and Jimmy Johnson in them in which they are going to force someone to stop what they are calling before going onto something else. I think we destroy LSU.

Like I said I think it’s more likely that Drew lock turns the game into somewhat of a shootout than LSU keeping pace with us.
LSU's offense simply cannot stretch the field in enough chunk plays to get in a shoot out with our offense. I also don't think their offense is good enough to keep their defense off the field with long, clock eating drives.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
LSU's offense simply cannot stretch the field in enough chunk plays to get in a shoot out with our offense. I also don't think their offense is good enough to keep their defense off the field with long, clock eating drives.

I want to say I agree with you on this, but I don't think I'm comfortable to go there yet. We rarely drove down the field and when we do that, it was a beautiful things to watch. I believe few factors played in this: Short field positions and Tua and the receivers' ability to generate big plays and I also think that Locksley is very aggressive with his play calling. Once we start facing better defense, I suspect we'll see play calls that will focus on being patient and wear out defense. I think we will go from scoring 50 plus to 40 plus when we face LSU and Auburn.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I want to say I agree with you on this, but I don't think I'm comfortable to go there yet. We rarely drove down the field and when we do that, it was a beautiful things to watch. I believe few factors played in this: Short field positions and Tua and the receivers' ability to generate big plays and I also think that Locksley is very aggressive with his play calling. Once we start facing better defense, I suspect we'll see play calls that will focus on being patient and wear out defense. I think we will go from scoring 50 plus to 40 plus when we face LSU and Auburn.
I will take 40+ against the Barn and LSWho. It would mean we won both games by at least 21 pts.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It seemed like a pretty good week for Tua's Heisman hopes. He had one of the best first halfs a QB has had in years, and though Murray is keeping pace statistically, the L won't help his hopes. Haskins is putting up a lot of numbers, but without the same level of efficiency. Grier had a mediocre game and I'd say the only thing keeping his hopes alive at this point would be the fact that his team is undefeated.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We're so good at pressing the ball vertically in the passing game that we're really gonna burn some team with a blitz strategy expecting long drops. I know it is there because we've tossed a few with Jalen on the field but they're almost unused when Tua is playing.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Tua is dominating the stats right now - higher completion percentage, more yards per attempt, greater rate of TD's per pass thrown, and high QB rating:

That's some overall impressive production by some QBs right there! But err ... looks like someone's missing from the list? Stidham should be like ... number one, right?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Kyler Murray has a loss, Will Grier throws too many INT's and Dwayne Haskins looked inconsistent against Penn State. It looks like Tua's trophy.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Tua is dominating the stats right now - higher completion percentage, more yards per attempt, greater rate of TD's per pass thrown, and high QB rating:

Interestingly enough, if he had enough attempts to qualify, Jalen Hurts' current passer rating would place him fourth on that list.

ETA: Mac Jones current passer rating would place him third on that list but, with only seven passing attempts, it's a very, very small sample size.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Interestingly enough, if he had enough attempts to qualify, Jalen Hurts' current passer rating would place him fourth on that list.

ETA: Mac Jones current passer rating would place him third on that list but, with only seven passing attempts, it's a very, very small sample size.
It is interesting, and it's not like Hurts hasn't thrown any passers. He's thrown 42, so there's guys on the list that haven't thrown a whole lot more.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Here is how I see it at this point.

1. Tua - He's been essentially perfect. He won't have the yards some of these other guys have but that shouldn't matter when you when you are averaging 14.8 ypa, throwing a TD every 5 or 6 attempts and haven't turned the ball over. He's been unreal and is the clear lead IMO. But, November will be where he wins or loses it.

2. Kyler Murray - he is almost what we all hoped Jalen turned into IMO. He is a good but not great passer but an explosive runner. His 2 turnovers vs Texas really cost them (an both were pretty terrible) but I think voters will ignore that because of the way he ended the game (leading OU back).

3. Haskins - He should maybe be number 2 because his team is undefeated and he hasn't hurt his team in a big game but I was pretty unimpressed with him vs Penn State. A large majority of his yards in that game were after the catch and pretty sure he didn't complete a pass longer than 10 or 15 yards. It sounds like that was a similar case this past game. He's still good and will absolutely get an invite I just don't think he's as good as advertised.

4. Grier - He has turned the ball over too much. He'll likely have the most yards though.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...-tagovailoa-stats-heisman-alabama-quarterback

This can’t wait any longer. We just have to talk about Tua Tagovailoa.

More specifically, we have to talk about his stats. I’ve never seen anything like them. You haven’t either.

If you ever asked yourself, in one of your more masochistic moments, “I wonder what it would be like if Nick Saban had the best quarterback in college football,” wonder no more. Hell, he might not only have the best quarterback of 2018 — he might have the best QB of the decade. There have been a lot of good quarterbacks this decade!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.