Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'd be shocked if he didnt throw for well over 200 per game.. i dont think the stats will be a problem

At this point I would be shocked if he ends up without an invite. Obviously its way to early but if he plays like he has so far he will get an invite. He can defintiely win it while only throwing for 200 yards a game and 3 total tds but it will be harder if someone like Grier puts up 400 yards and 5 TDs consistently while also have WVU as a top 10ish team. Grier would need to have some bad games against teams like OU

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think it's a little early to start the Heisman conversation.
( It's ok if others talk it up ;) )
We need to concentrate on decisively beating each opponent.
When we get ahead, we need to keep our foot on the other teams throat.
Do that and we ought to be in the Playoffs, and maybe win another National Championship. If we are able to do all of that, Tua will probably bring home the Heisman.
What do yall think? Would a Heisman sitting on Daddy's Coffee Table inspire little brother to work even harder? YEP... ;)

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I hope it is clear by the Tennessee game that Tua is in the thick of the race and Saban lets him go off and post better or at least comparable numbers to Grier's.
And if he should get hurt while running up his stats, how does that help Bama out the next week, or the week after???

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
http://m.espn.com/ncf/heisman?src=desktop

According to this article Tua is in fifth place atm. Though I doubt the dt will get any real consideration come vote time.
ESPN's poll is really a single collective mind voting. What I mean is that they are a group of voters with the same set of influences and biases. That causes their votes to all sway together, like a tree in the wind. The actual voters are all over the country with influences and biases that vary greatly. Their votes will also sway in the wind, but the wind will come from all kinds of directions. Also keep in mind that ESPN actually wants to be a part of the story (not just report it), so they are pushing candidates instead of simply voting for the guys having the best seasons (just look at all of the stories about Oliver so far this year).

This is just my way of saying that the ESPN Heisman poll is pretty much a complete waste of time. They will eventually start voting based on who they think will actually win the award, at which point it will stop looking insane.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
He could take a huge step today.
I'm a big Tua fan and thought last year he was the better qb (and caught a lot of flak for it) but I hope today we have a heavy dose of running backs showing off, which would probably mean we're running clock and keeping their offense off the field. A good passing game, though, helps to sell that, and we have that this year. When those linebackers cheat up today, Tagovailoa will be more able to take advantage of receivers slanting into that area the lb just vacated.

I'm a big Tua fan and thought last year he was the better qb (and caught a lot of flak for it) but I hope today we have a heavy dose of running backs showing off, which would probably mean we're running clock and keeping their offense off the field. A good passing game, though, helps to sell that, and we have that this year. When those linebackers cheat up today, Tagovailoa will be more able to take advantage of receivers slanting into that area the lb just vacated.
That’s true. Good point. You’ve changed my mind. Still, I hope he torches them. We could easily score 70 points by what we look at on paper.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Sorry to bump an older topic but I suppose this is a topic that is going to pick up steam further into the season.

This page has updated stats (but not updated blurbs at the time I'm posting this):
http://www.espn.com/college-football/heisman/

Murray had a slow game in a sloppy overtime win, so Tua was able to match his yards and TD totals while having a better rating. Haskins has been throwing a ton of TDs and he could end up being the one giving Tua a lot of trouble since we know Ohio State is going to win some games. Already the pack is thinning some, with guys like McSorley looking fairly unimpressive, Tate having a worse year passing, Fromm sharing enough playing time that he's getting even less attempts than Tua (Kelly Bryant wasn't a serious candidate in my mind, but he's not getting enough playing time either), and we can snicker a bit at Stidham and his 3 passing TDs being on some people's lists prior to the start of the season.

This article details it some, but right now we're looking at 4 QBs in the hunt:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...isman-highlight-college-footballs-qb-takeover

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Grier is going to probably win it unless WVU loses or Tua just has one of those “heisman moments”. I just don’t think we will have enough close games for him to show out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Don’t think that is true. I haven’t seen anything special on Grier’s end.
The problem is the voting system. If all three (Tua, Haskins, and Grier) are up for in the official voting period then it favors Grier because he is more likely to receive more 1st and 2nd place votes than both. It doesn’t have to do with who is better it has to do with the voting format.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Grier is going to probably win it unless WVU loses or Tua just has one of those “heisman moments”. I just don’t think we will have enough close games for him to show out.
Well, if any of those four win out and the respective QB hasn't been suspended or injured, I'd tend to favor whomever that might be really. Here's the FPI win out %, 42.5% for Alabama, 14.1% Ohio State, 8.1% Oklahoma, and .4% West Virginia. So yeah if Grier carries them to an undefeated season, he'll deserve a lot of credit, but they were 7-6 last year so he has a lot of work to do.

In either case, it seems likely either Grier or Murray take the other out. In that case it might bolster the Heisman candidacy of one, but could end the other (much like when AJ and Alabama lost to Manziel and A&M). The worst case for those two if for them to just muddy the waters, if both have losses and both remain candidates they'll just split the Big 12 vote.

It's also interesting that you bring up Heisman moments, because Tua already kind of had his. Due to the quirk in Heisman voting, the playoffs are not included at all. So, Tua's much replayed championship winning pass came both this year and after the previous Heisman voting. Now, of course that was considered last season and doesn't count, but that doesn't erase the psychological impact of the play. It answered one of the biggest questions you can have about a candidate, which is how they'd perform on a big stage against elite competition. All of those other guys are still waiting to have a moment that can compare, and it won't be easy to match.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.