Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Tua lead the team to TDs on five of his six drives. Without the turnover they would have scored again (well, at least attempted a FG). If he is anywhere near that pace I would think that is more impressive than gross yardage/TDs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think it's going to be Grier. I don't think Tua will get enough playing time and we will have too much of a running game. WVU could end up in some shootouts because their defense can't hold up. So he'll stay in the full game and throw for 500 yards and 5 tds. Tua will throw for 200 yards, 2-3 tds and leave the game at halfttime because the score will be 35-7 or something.

If our defense starts letting people score, it actually increases Tua's likelihood as he'll have to stay in the game to keep the scoring margin in our favor. If we stay healthy on defense, I don't like his chances.
I agree that he won't be able to keep up with Grier's stats. Grier will play the entire game whether WVU is blowing people out or in shootouts every week. But I think it could help Tua that, playing at Alabama, he will be in several national televised "big" games this year. WVU just doesn't have a lot of games other than Oklahoma that are going to resonate. They've got NC State in a couple of weeks and then they start the Big 12 schedule which is setting up to be utterly lackluster. I will say that they finish with Oklahoma State and Oklahoma, likely the only other contenders in the conference, and then there is the Big 12 title game which will be a rematch with one of those 2. If he has a strong finish with those 2 or 3 games, it could vault him over the top.

With Alabama's schedule, you've got several games this year that are going to be CBS 2:30 type games. I'm not looking at a national schedule so these are just examples of possibilities: Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi State, LSU and Auburn are all the types of games that will be broadcast to a national audience. A few of those could be tough games for us to win, thus providing the dramatic moments that can bring you a Heisman. Then you've got game in Atlanta against a Florida or Georgia that gives him another chance to grab all the spotlight. While I think Mark Ingram and Derrick Henry were the most deserving players when they won the award, what got them past the media favorites from Stanford (ironically, both years) was the enormity of playing at Alabama in those big games. I think that helps Tua overcome the stats difference, assuming he doesn't lose too much playing time to the rotation scheme.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I expect Tua to get ample playing time. Bama fatigue is his biggest opponent in the Heisman race.
I honestly don't think that will play a factor. This is a unique situation where even rival fans and/or 'Bama Haters' admit that Tua is fun to watch.

He's just a likable and charismatic dude that makes electric WOW plays one after another.

Kirk Herbstreit and Gary Danielson both have major man-crushes already too so he's going to get positive national coverage all year long.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
I remember some years ago Ingram and Richardson were having a good year and all the talk for the week leading up to the South Carolina game was what their nicknames would be, Salt/Pepper, Fast/Furious, etc. I remember Bama getting blown out too, the score never reflected the true domination or total lack of focus from the Bama side. I'll tell you one thing, didn't hear any talk about nicknames after that game and hence why I'm not liking Heisman talk THIS EARLY in the year. Its just another form of Rat Poison to me...
Good thing you don’t actually play on the team or Bama would be in trouble. Lol

I remember some years ago Ingram and Richardson were having a good year and all the talk for the week leading up to the South Carolina game was what their nicknames would be, Salt/Pepper, Fast/Furious, etc. I remember Bama getting blown out too, the score never reflected the true domination or total lack of focus from the Bama side. I'll tell you one thing, didn't hear any talk about nicknames after that game and hence why I'm not liking Heisman talk THIS EARLY in the year. Its just another form of Rat Poison to me...
Bama blown out?! Bull! Lost by 14 yes but they were within 7 in the fourth quarter plus Bama led in total yards and first downs. That isn’t a blow out in my book. I digress from the original post.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Bama blown out?! Bull! Lost by 14 yes but they were within 7 in the fourth quarter plus Bama led in total yards and first downs. That isn’t a blow out in my book. I digress from the original post.
We give so much grief about that 2010 year, but it's not like we were miles away. Injuries to the wrong people did us in more than anything else.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I honestly don't think that will play a factor. This is a unique situation where even rival fans and/or 'Bama Haters' admit that Tua is fun to watch.

He's just a likable and charismatic dude that makes electric WOW plays one after another.

Kirk Herbstreit and Gary Danielson both have major man-crushes already too so he's going to get positive national coverage all year long.
There were some people that for whatever reason did not want Peyton Manning to win the Heisman. So I hope you are right. You’re definitely right about Herbstreit and Danielson.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
As long Tua is Tua...I honestly think it is in the bag.

I think he "won" the Heisman with the TD pass in the national championship game. That was so big that it carried over to this season. So he already started with such high praise. Just listen to Kirk and Fowler during the game. They LOVE him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
There were some people that for whatever reason did not want Peyton Manning to win the Heisman. So I hope you are right. You’re definitely right about Herbstreit and Danielson.
That was a different era. The SEC, and Alabama in particular, have so thoroughly dominated the college football scene for the past 15 years or so that it's hard for anyone to deny the best football is played "here." In the 90s, it was a different story.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I think he "won" the Heisman with the TD pass in the national championship game. That was so big that it carried over to this season. So he already started with such high praise. Just listen to Kirk and Fowler during the game. They LOVE him.
He hasn't won it, just yet, but I think your are correct to point out that the memory of the NC game is what is setting him up as the betting favorite. While the betting favorite is one thing, it does impact the media's thinking about it and that's were most of the voters are.

FWIW, I don't think his season could have started any better.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
He hasn't won it, just yet, but I think your are correct to point out that the memory of the NC game is what is setting him up as the betting favorite. While the betting favorite is one thing, it does impact the media's thinking about it and that's were most of the voters are.

FWIW, I don't think his season could have started any better.
I agree, that is why he just needs to stay healthy and I think it will all work out. He is just too special to not be impressive down the stretch. I think he will probably be one of the most hyped Alabama players in a very long time.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
The upside of Jalen playing earlier is that Tua will have less wear and tear on his body. If he stays healthy and keeps us undefeated he will be in the conversation at the end.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If he and Jalen both play in most games, Tua may not have the numbers this year for Heisman--next year he will definitely be a candidate if he stays healthy.

I would rather him lead BAMA to another National Championship this year if it was one or the other. He does need to stay humble and tune out all the good noise about him from the media. I think he will do just that.
Based on his interview at the end of the NC game, I’d say he is very humble......... and no doubt his parents instilled that in him. He’s a well spoken guy and gives credit to his teammates....... yeah, I agree. He will do it......

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

It really depends on where WVU is. If they are 13-0 then Im going to say Will Grier gets it over Tua unless Tua breaks some serious records.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.