Tua's Heisman Campaign watch

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
In case anyone else has a comment about the "SEC agenda" here are the the TV Viewership numbers weeks 1-7 of 2017. I could dig and find this years but i kinda just dont feel like it and someone else did this already haha.

all they do is talk about the teams with the best records and with the most viewers. as it happens, bama is in the middle of objectively the greatest dynasty in the history of college football and they also lead FBS in viewership. ESPN doesnt control that. they just do their jobs and everyone just complains about it and watches anyway.

TOTAL VIEWERS (Listed in millions)
THROUGH WEEK 7
TOTAL
155.823 - SEC
129.835 - Big Ten
109.472 - ACC
72.024 - Pac 12
69.790 - Big 12
20.163 - AAC
14.285 - MWC
6.882 - MAC
4.737 - Sun Belt
3.738 - CUSA
AVERAGE
11.130 - SEC
9.274 - Big Ten
7.819 - ACC
6.979 - Big 12
6.002 - Pac 12
1.680 - AAC
1.190 - MWC
0.574 - MAC
0.395 - Sun Belt
0.267 - CUSA
MEDIAN
9.332 - SEC
6.860 - Big Ten
6.424 - Big 12
5.788 - Pac 12
5.525 - ACC
0.980 - AAC
0.455 - MWC
0.314 - MAC
0.002 - CUSA
0.000 - Sun Belt
BIG 12
16.497 - Oklahoma (5)
13.494 - Texas (5)
8.078 - Oklahoma State (5)
7.365 - West Virginia (5)
6.913 - TCU (5)
5.935 - Texas Tech (4)
5.489 - Iowa State (3)
2.919 - Kansas State (4)
2.061 - Baylor (3)
1.039 - Kansas (3)
ACC
20.909 - Florida State (5)
19.200 - Clemson (7)
10.668 - Louisville (4)
9.716 - Virginia Tech (3)
9.092 - Georgia Tech (3)
7.815 - Miami (3)
5.782 - North Carolina (4)
5.267 - Pittsburgh (2)
5.167 - NC State (3)
3.913 - Syracuse (2)
3.758 - Wake Forest (2)
3.200 - Duke (4)
3.053 - Boston College (3)
1.932 - Virginia (3)
BIG TEN
25.412 - Michigan (5)
20.733 - Ohio State (5)
14.123 - Penn State (4)
13.021 - Michigan State (4)
9.854 - Iowa (4)
9.606 - Indiana (3)
6.878 - Wisconsin (3)
6.841 - Nebraska (4)
6.302 - Purdue (4)
6.267 - Northwestern (4)
5.880 - Maryland (5)
2.440 - Illinois (2)
1.507 - Minnesota (3)
0.971 - Rutgers (1)
PAC 12
16.071 - Southern Cal (5)
9.132 - UCLA (4)
8.861 - California (5)
8.660 - Washington State (5)
5.931 - Washington (4)
5.858 - Oregon (4)
5.718 - Stanford (5)
5.366 - Utah (5)
2.277 - Arizona State (1)
2.088 - Colorado (2)
1.652 - Arizona (3)
0.410 - Oregon State (1)
SEC
30.679 - Alabama (7)
21.838 - Florida (5)
16.749 - Tennessee (4)
14.512 - Georgia (5)
13.900 - LSU (6)
13.040 - Texas A&M (5)
9.842 - Auburn (4)
8.822 - Arkansas (3)
8.181 - Vanderbilt (4)
7.679 - Mississippi State (3)
4.892 - South Carolina (3)
4.384 - Mississippi (3)
1.305 - Missouri (2)

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Which legends should have won? Stabler? Solid junior year but no great shakes his senior year when the award back then was usually given out. Namath? He had a solid career, but nothing Heisman worthy. His fame came in the pros. Is there someone else you think got robbed because they played for Bama?

Perhaps both players are really good. Baker Mayfield is lighting up the NFL, so there's that.
Derrick Thomas, David Palmer, and AJ McCarron. Thomas had 27 sacks in one season before they became an official stat. David Palmer returned kicks, punts, played running back, and took snaps as a quarterback even our starters went down with an injury. He did all at an SEC level. McCarron rewrote the record books in terms of passing and was easily in place to win instead of the rapist.

I could dig deeper, but that's a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Derrick Thomas, David Palmer, and AJ McCarron. Thomas had 27 sacks in one season before they became an official stat. David Palmer returned kicks, punts, played running back, and took snaps as a quarterback even our starters went down with an injury. He did all at an SEC level. McCarron rewrote the record books in terms of passing and was easily in place to win instead of the rapist.

Joe namath and shaun alexander had pretty good cases as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that we are in a different era with respect "awards" in all sports. Social media as we know it is only 10 years old. Sure, some of the platforms are a few years older than that, but I am talking about their widespread use and their pervasive infiltration into our lives. Social media has changed the way that people access information, and the way that it is shared. It has created a sound byte society, and one in which people literally move from subject to subject in seconds.

I think that Alabama needs to hire someone who understands this if you want to win a Heisman race that is close in the coming years. Alabama had Ingram and Henry win because people outside of UA pushed their cases for them - particularly ESPN.

Tua lost because no one was supplied his narrative until the votes were cast. He won the awards where votes were cast before the SECCG, and lost the others. He lost those because the Sooners took control of the narrative and Alabama didn't even try to take it back. He lost the award because Alabama lost the battle that was taking place in the social media world - the world that the voters live in 24/7. Only after the votes were cast did we start to see stories representing Tua's narrative - too late, by far.

In this world, you have to be first, and you have to be everywhere.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Which year should AJ won? I keep hearing that he should’ve won, but I can’t find a year. And no 2013 wasn’t a year he was deserving.

Shaun maybe, but the injury killed his chances

Palmer... you seriously are going to try to take the award from Charlie ward????

Thomas... until the heisman voters take serious looks at defensive players then I don’t think this one is that much of a complaint.

Stabler and Namath- I think there is a bigger issue that neither received a vote than that neither actually won it.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I think that we are in a different era with respect "awards" in all sports. Social media as we know it is only 10 years old. Sure, some of the platforms are a few years older than that, but I am talking about their widespread use and their pervasive infiltration into our lives. Social media has changed the way that people access information, and the way that it is shared. It has created a sound byte society, and one in which people literally move from subject to subject in seconds.

I think that Alabama needs to hire someone who understands this if you want to win a Heisman race that is close in the coming years. Alabama had Ingram and Henry win because people outside of UA pushed their cases for them - particularly ESPN.

Tua lost because no one was supplied his narrative until the votes were cast. He won the awards where votes were cast before the SECCG, and lost the others. He lost those because the Sooners took control of the narrative and Alabama didn't even try to take it back. He lost the award because Alabama lost the battle that was taking place in the social media world - the world that the voters live in 24/7. Only after the votes were cast did we start to see stories representing Tua's narrative - too late, by far.

This is correct. Votes were due Monday. We didnt know tua's "ankle injury" was bad enough to require surgery until sunday. We didnt know which ankle the surgery was on until we saw a pic of tua flying to an awards ceremony on Thursday. Bama made no attempt to present the fact that Tua was seriously hurt that entire game until it was way way way too late, and even bama fans were split on whether he was really hurt or not.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

And - if social media and what passes for journalism these days is any indication - poor grammar seems to help... :rolleyes:

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Which year should AJ won? I keep hearing that he should’ve won, but I can’t find a year. And no 2013 wasn’t a year he was deserving.

Shaun maybe, but the injury killed his chances

Palmer... you seriously are going to try to take the award from Charlie ward????

Thomas... until the heisman voters take serious looks at defensive players then I don’t think this one is that much of a complaint.

Stabler and Namath- I think there is a bigger issue that neither received a vote than that neither actually won it.
i think the overall idea of the complaint is that rival fans see bama players as having an easier road to win the heisman when the reality is that, historically, they have a more difficult road.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is correct. Votes were due Monday. We didnt know tua's "ankle injury" was bad enough to require surgery until sunday. We didnt know which ankle the surgery was on until we saw a pic of tua flying to an awards ceremony on Thursday. Bama made no attempt to present the fact that Tua was seriously hurt that entire game until it was way way way too late, and even bama fans were split on whether he was really hurt or not.
I don’t think it would have made a huge difference. The fact that more voters didn’t submit early indicates they were looking for a reason to give Murray the award.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Which year should AJ won? I keep hearing that he should’ve won, but I can’t find a year.
I would argue that he should won it in 2012. He had 30 TDs to 3 Ints. He was a 67% passer in the SEC.

Manziel - the winner - was a 68% passer, but he only had 26 TDs to 9 Ints.

Manti Te'o came in second that year. Manti Te'o!

AJ didn't even make the top 10 that year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don’t think it would have made a huge difference. The fact that more voters didn’t submit early indicates they were looking for a reason to give Murray the award.
Or, maybe, just maybe, it meant that it was a close race between 2 very deserving guys?

Rodger Dodger

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2018

Derrick Thomas? Brilliant player, but how many defensive players ever win that award? And are you really claiming that Thomas should have won over Barry Sanders, considered by many (including me) as the greatest RB in college football history? (I don't recall Thomas being much of a Heisman contender that year.) David Palmer was certainly versatile, but Charlie Ward was a pretty clear choice for the Heisman that year and won in a landslide.

Every fan has players on his team that he thinks should have won. OU fans can point out Lee Roy Selmon and Brian Bosworth as players who were "robbed." And Joe Washington and Greg Pruitt. Joe lost because OU was on probation and no one got to see him play. Billy Sims deserved two Heismans but they gave one to Charles "White Line Fever" White because USC had this "Tailback U' thing going. Who really thinks Wienke deserved it over Heuple? And what about Adrian Peterson?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Obviously, he's soft and can't play hurt.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
that's one way to look at it. another way to look at it is that, in a vacuum, or with baker mayfields NFL success.... Kyler's numbers are as good as anyones numbers have ever been. If it wasnt decided for people before Dec 1, then those two games decided it. Fair or not, without crimson glasses, it would be hard for someone to come into dec 1 saying "there is no chance Tua loses this award barring the worst game of his career." The rub is that it was the worst game of his career. It looks really bad without the context of him throwing on a high ankle sprain for all but the first few plays of the game. Thats where bama/saban could have helped him a bit and chose not to. Maybe they saw that it wasnt close enough to make a difference and maybe thats why they chose not to.

It really is what it is at this point. It is difficult to watch OU get their 4th QB heisman since 2000, while watching a bit of bad luck take bamas first and only QB heisman out of the hands of objectively its greatest QB ever. Venting on a message board just makes people feel better, ok? haha

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.