Did Ben Davis See the Field?

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
The participation chart is on page 5: Ben Davis, jersey # 1, is not listed. I didn't see him on the field, but I wasn't looking for him either. I'm not questioning you, just relaying what was published by the University - please correct them if they're wrong.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rolltide.com/documents/2018/9/1/18CWK.pdf

If the link doesn't work, the document is available on the football schedule page at rolltide.com
Holy Smokes,
There’s a TON of info on that page

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I believe Ben is a redshirt soph (?). If so, still has some time, but it`s more and more looking as if this was a real miss. More than a little puzzling considering how highly regarded he was coming out of HS. Another one of those things about which you would love to be proven wrong.
Yeah....count me in as one who keeps looking for that kid to get in there and play. He is a pedigree kid with Bama in his blood. I don't know what the issues are or even if there are issues...but he should be playing by now. Puzzling that is for sure.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
He might end up like Jerrell Harris in the end, came in with big expectations in a huge recruiting class, and never really lived up to it
Jerrell Harris did play some good football in 2011. Maybe Ben Davis will play some good football for one season like Harris before he is done. We can hope.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Jerrell Harris did play some good football in 2011. Maybe Ben Davis will play some good football for one season like Harris before he is done. We can hope.
Harris was a completely different story though. He played in 10 games as a freshman and got a lot of experience both on ST and late in games. The thing that held him back was the suspension for half a year his Sophmore year. When you know a kid can't play for a while, he's not going to get the same # of practice reps because coaches have to spend the time on the kids who will contribute and that put his development a little behind. Then CJ mosely showed up and earned a lot of the WLB reps that likely would have gone to Harris.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I know what I saw. He was in at least 1 play.
I've re-watched through the 3rd and a little of the 4th, and haven't seen him. that was after Moody, latu, anoma and Kaho had all gotten reps with the defense, not just special teams.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He is only a sophomore. Give the kid a break!
As someone (gtgilbert I believe) has mentioned a few times, he isn't even playing ST. That shows how behind he is. When a guy that has only been on campus a few weeks gets on the field before him, there's a problem.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Some people are satisfied just being a team member. Just offering one possible explanation...
Wow - I'm sure you know more than you can say. Up till his injury before his true freshman season he seemed like he was pushing hard to be a contributor and at about the same level as Mack was. Tough to see someone with what looked like a big, big upside not take the opportunity, but if he is content with the role he currently has on the team and being able to get a degree for his efforts then we should just wish him success in whatever field he has chosen for post football life.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
As someone (gtgilbert I believe) has mentioned a few times, he isn't even playing ST. That shows how behind he is. When a guy that has only been on campus a few weeks gets on the field before him, there's a problem.
Exactly. It's probably in his best interest to transfer after the season. I thought he might be able to break into a rotation this fall but nope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Exactly. It's probably in his best interest to transfer after the season. I thought he might be able to break into a rotation this fall but nope.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Why transfer? Maybe he just gets his degree and moves on? Maybe he doesn't really want to be a pro-football player or even start. Like Earle said, maybe being on the team with a scholly is good enough? I dunno. I do agree that he either needs to show up or go ahead and free up that scholarship. I'd prefer he just figure it out and be able to contribute.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I've just assumed it was "a between the ears thing" but him not being able to play on the kicking team suggests it's got to be more. I know there are "assigments" on the kickoff team, but outside of staying in your lane, there's only so much "thinking" that's involved in the process. So, I'm thinking it's either a motivation problem or he's physically not fit.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Thinking Saban sends him into action tomorrow to quell the nascent Tidefans vox populi uprising - unless Coach can think of a better reason for not playing him...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.