Did Ben Davis See the Field?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I've just assumed it was "a between the ears thing" but him not being able to play on the kicking team suggests it's got to be more. I know there are "assigments" on the kickoff team, but outside of staying in your lane, there's only so much "thinking" that's involved in the process. So, I'm thinking it's either a motivation problem or he's physically not fit.
I've always wondered if that ankle injury was a lot worse than we know and that it might have set him pretty far back and/or he lost a step...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I believe Ben is a redshirt soph (?). If so, still has some time, but it`s more and more looking as if this was a real miss. More than a little puzzling considering how highly regarded he was coming out of HS. Another one of those things about which you would love to be proven wrong.
Said this at some point each of the last two years, but sometimes translating from poor 3A football to college is not easy. He probably never had to study much film, never really got hit, and out-athleted every player out there. It's harder for some than others, and it must be for him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Said this at some point each of the last two years, but sometimes translating from poor 3A football to college is not easy. He probably never had to study much film, never really got hit, and out-athleted every player out there. It's harder for some than others, and it must be for him.
While I realize this will probably bother some folks, I have to wonder if Saban knew this and didn't want to sign Ben, but he did so only because Ben was a 5* legacy in UA's backyard.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
While I realize this will probably bother some folks, I have to wonder if Saban knew this and didn't want to sign Ben, but he did so only because Ben was a 5* legacy in UA's backyard.
I've had the same thought. Wasn't there a lot of chatter about Ben signing with UGa? Looking back on that it makes me wonder if we weren't pursuing him as hard as everyone assumed.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Before he got hurt, he was slated for a role his freshman year, so I don't think that's what it was. Whatever happened from the injury till he came back who knows. Time away from game makes things happen. maybe he lost the fire, maybe found other priorities.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Wow - I'm sure you know more than you can say. Up till his injury before his true freshman season he seemed like he was pushing hard to be a contributor and at about the same level as Mack was.
This is something I haven’t thought about concerning Ben Davis until this post. Could the real question be just how serious was, I think, his shoulder injury? Maybe it is more serious, career ending, than we know and Saban being the MAN he is, knowing he is a legacy, is keeping it under wraps to allow him to stay on scholarship to get a degree. Thoughts?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
This is something I haven’t thought about concerning Ben Davis until this post. Could the real question be just how serious was, I think, his shoulder injury? Maybe it is more serious, career ending, than we know and Saban being the MAN he is, knowing he is a legacy, is keeping it under wraps to allow him to stay on scholarship to get a degree. Thoughts?
There are medical scholarships for career ending injuries.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
I was glad to see Ben get some snaps at Jack !
I was going to vouch for knowing that #1 got in on one series at least. Don't remember any tackles/assists, but definitely saw "B. Davis" trotting back towards the defensive huddle. Mack didn't RS when Ben did, so that leaves one year, his RS Sr. year in 2020, to start at ILB. Could still be a meaningful back-up. A route to faster playing time with Jennings gone after this year may be behind the switch to Jack.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I was going to vouch for knowing that #1 got in on one series at least. Don't remember any tackles/assists, but definitely saw "B. Davis" trotting back towards the defensive huddle. Mack didn't RS when Ben did, so that leaves one year, his RS Sr. year in 2020, to start at ILB. Could still be a meaningful back-up. A route to faster playing time with Jennings gone after this year may be behind the switch to Jack.

You can tell its new to him. He looked lost at times not really knowing what to do. I bet Coach Saban will figure out a spot that gives him the best chance. It may be next year or the year after but I believe.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I would hope this wasn't the case especially when we passed on Daniel Carlson who's family are Athletic Alums.

I'm still leaning towards the transition just being difficult for whatever reasons. Hopefully him finally getting on the field is a positive sign.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
You can tell its new to him. He looked lost at times not really knowing what to do. I bet Coach Saban will figure out a spot that gives him the best chance. It may be next year or the year after but I believe.
Yeah, what worries me about him is his lack of participation at least in special teams. There's more strategy to it than we think, but true freshmen that aren't taking an RS can almost always find the field there on athleticism alone. Not making that group by year three...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
There's still hope.. Sometimes it takes some years to click upstairs and sometimes they just don't have it. Not all 4 and 5 stars are ready in the first couple of years. Crap we knew Reuben Foster was a future NFL'er but it took him a few years to mature and prove he was ready and he was considered a can't miss prospect.

I was hoping we'd see Kaho getting some game time in the middle. I know he's playing special teams and is very aggressive too if you ever get a chance to watch him. If he went in at LB I missed him and I could have because it was H-O-T in there. Y'all know I work outside and it's miserable this time of year, but it was flat out hot Saturday. That was one reason the stadium emptied early in the East but it was never truly full period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.