latest addition to the family petting zoo

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
So, as you all probably know, my Mom has become quite the collector of injured and abused animals over the years. She has dogs (some missing a leg), cats who have been shot, turtles (one missing a leg), a chicken, and other critters that suffered misfortune. I spoke to her this morning to see how she weathered the storm. She told me she found a baby possum that had apparently fallen out of a tree overnight. It has a broken leg, so she has taken it in. She set the leg and it should be fine in time. This is not the first possum she has rescued and not the first possum leg she has set. Just another misfit animal added to the petting zoo. :)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Mods I don't like this thread and it should be closed.

Sorry, Bod. Just been waiting to do that to a random thread. ;)

I've known a few people like your mom in my life and think it's awesome when people do that. My dad took in all sorts of birds (mostly mockingbirds), rabbits, etc when I was a kid until they were healthy enough to release.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
So, as you all probably know, my Mom has become quite the collector of injured and abused animals over the years. She has dogs (some missing a leg), cats who have been shot, turtles (one missing a leg), a chicken, and other critters that suffered misfortune. I spoke to her this morning to see how she weathered the storm. She told me she found a baby possum that had apparently fallen out of a tree overnight. It has a broken leg, so she has taken it in. She set the leg and it should be fine in time. This is not the first possum she has rescued and not the first possum leg she has set. Just another misfit animal added to the petting zoo. :)
I didn't know that but I consider your Mom to be very special. Thank you for the update today. I do very little in that regard but I had a large watermelon patch at our small farm and the Raccoons were doing their best to get into the melons. I began breaking open several for them each week. I am sure that I have a family of fat watermelon loving raccoons around the farmhouse. There is a small lowland forest on the place and I have just begun to look at establishing it as a protected wetland and hopefully getting the place converted into a trust for it to remain a natural area through time.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I've lost count of how many animals - mostly dogs - my Mom has rescued. Many don't live more than a couple of years due to their various injuires (e.g. several were bait dogs for pit bulls and then dumped by the road to die), but she does her best to give them comfort in their remaining time. She spends a small fortune on her animals. She recently took a young dog to get eye surgery. It was a success and the pup should be with her a long time. She's my Mom so I'm extremely biased, but I find her to be an amazing person.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: latest addition to the famYour Mom is a saint, Boghi!ily petting zoo

You Mom is a saint, Bodhi! Please give here a big hug from us next time you see her! :wink:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I love possums. They really are neat critters. Good job, Mom. :biggrin2:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001

I love possums. They really are neat critters. Good job, Mom. :biggrin2:
When I was a kid (maybe five years old) we lived out in the sticks. One of our redneck neighbor a few miles away found a family of possums in the barn. A feakout ensued and she called my Mom. My Mom told the lady not to do anything, and that she would be over immediately. My Mom was going to suggest that the possums be left alone; they would move on once the babies grew a little. Or move the possums out into the woods. Before my Mom could get to the neighbor's house, the redneck killed the mama possum. Just because. And she was determined to kill the baby possums. (Why ask my Mom for help if you weren't going to wait a few minutes for her to show up?) My Mom rescued the babies and we raised them. We lived on about 30 wooded acres surrounded by more woods, so when the possums got older we turned them loose. No killing necessary.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

A lot of missing legs going on. Does your mom fix you drumsticks when you visit?

I put out scraps and cat food for opossums and raccoons behind my house. It is how I ended up with one of our cats that moved in.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001

A lot of missing legs going on. Does your mom fix you drumsticks when you visit?
Now that you mention it .....

Most of the dogs she has are purebreds that get tossed by their sorry arse puppy mill owners. She had one tiny dog - a Yorkie, I think - whose orginal owners left it chained outside in all sorts of weather. The dog was ignored for days, got the chain wrapped around its leg, and got cut down to the bone. The owners took the dog to the vet but balked at the cost of treatment and abandoned the dog. The vet, knowing my Mom will take in any animal, called her. Unfortunately, after all this time, the dog's leg could not be saved, but he had a happy rest of his life free of chains and exposure to bad weather.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005

Now that you mention it .....

Most of the dogs she has are purebreds that get tossed by their sorry arse puppy mill owners. She had one tiny dog - a Yorkie, I think - whose orginal owners left it chained outside in all sorts of weather. The dog was ignored for days, got the chain wrapped around its leg, and got cut down to the bone. The owners took the dog to the vet but balked at the cost of treatment and abandoned the dog. The vet, knowing my Mom will take in any animal, called her. Unfortunately, after all this time, the dog's leg could not be saved, but he had a happy rest of his life free of chains and exposure to bad weather.
I don't understand how people can act this way.

It is amazing what four-legged animals can do with just three legs. In most cases, it is hardly a blip on their quality of life.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001

I don't understand how people can act this way.
Me either. Some of her pets she's rescued because they had been shot. Just because. Several had broken ribs after being kicked repeatedly because they were the runts of the litter. One had hot grease (or something similar) poured on its back and then was dumped because she no longer had any value. A lot of people don't deserve dogs.

It is amazing what four-legged animals can do with just three legs. In most cases, it is hardly a blip on their quality of life.
Yeah, some love and attention does wonders. It's amazing to see terrified, near-crippled animals thrive in the right environment. That's the way it should be.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Bodhi....there's a group of ladies down under who operate a bat rehabilitation center. They post a lot of YT videos, which I find extremely endearing.

Someone like your Mom would probably really enjoy watching some of these, if she doesn't already know about them.

Here's an older one from 2014 for example:

Here's a link to all their videos: CLICK

And description:

I'm a flying fox (bat) rescuer and carer. I video a lot of my rescues with a head mounted camera. During baby bat season I take videos daily of the babies as they grow and learn and play, and do flappies and sniffies and head-bobs and press-ups. There will be some graphic footage of injuries on my channel. I usually issue a warning in both the title and the description. If it's particularly confronting I put a warning screen before the graphic footage. I put a lot of information in the descriptions now - perhaps for the last few months. For earlier videos I'm slowly going through them and adding more info to the description. I'm eclectic and I record what interests me at the time. Periodically I visit other wildlife carers and record what they do.

-----------------

And here's their latest video - just posted 3 hours ago......

Bitey Banjo (the name says it all) kind of squeaky snores while he sleeps. I've never seen it in any of the other babies - and though it looks and sounds weird, he was perfectly healthy and had no physical issues. He's an orphan flying-fox around 6 weeks old, being raised in care till he's old enough for release. Update: He was released about 3 months after this video was made. Footage by Mandi Griffith

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bodhi....there's a group of ladies down under who operate a bat rehabilitation center. They post a lot of YT videos, which I find extremely endearing.

Someone like your Mom would probably really enjoy watching some of these, if she doesn't already know about them.

Here's an older one from 2014 for example:

Here's a link to all their videos: CLICK

And description:

I'm a flying fox (bat) rescuer and carer. I video a lot of my rescues with a head mounted camera. During baby bat season I take videos daily of the babies as they grow and learn and play, and do flappies and sniffies and head-bobs and press-ups. There will be some graphic footage of injuries on my channel. I usually issue a warning in both the title and the description. If it's particularly confronting I put a warning screen before the graphic footage. I put a lot of information in the descriptions now - perhaps for the last few months. For earlier videos I'm slowly going through them and adding more info to the description. I'm eclectic and I record what interests me at the time. Periodically I visit other wildlife carers and record what they do.

-----------------

And here's their latest video - just posted 3 hours ago......

Bodhi's mom would just be thinking how tasty those bat legs look.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Me either. Some of her pets she's rescued because they had been shot. Just because. Several had broken ribs after being kicked repeatedly because they were the runts of the litter. One had hot grease (or something similar) poured on its back and then was dumped because she no longer had any value. A lot of people don't deserve to draw breath.

Yeah, some love and attention does wonders. It's amazing to see terrified, near-crippled animals thrive in the right environment. That's the way it should be.
FIFY

This is the same mindset behind abuse of children and of adults who are physically and/or mentally unable to fight back -- feel big and bad and tough, so long as the victim can't do anything about it. It's mostly men, but women do it too...believe me, I know.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.