Alabama Football Film Room: It’s Definitely Tua Time

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

That was something. We finally got to see Tua Tagovailoa play for the first time since the walk-off touchdown in January, and he picked up right where he left off. In about a half of a play, Tagovailoa went 12-16 for 227 yards and 2 touchdowns while adding 26 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

It was one heckuva debut as a starter, and the offense just hums with electricity with him back there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't know if I've ever had this much fun watching football. Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed the CNS years but Tua has taken it to another level of enjoyment. This is going to be a fun 2 seasons.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I don't know if I've ever had this much fun watching football. Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed the CNS years but Tua has taken it to another level of enjoyment. This is going to be a fun 2 seasons.
Come on it's going to be a fun 3 years. Maybe he'll stay for his senior year... maybe

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
You can even see how much more confidence Tua has in running the offense compared to last season. It'll be interesting to see how he grows this year as a QB while other teams are putting a book together on him. Hopefully the offensive line will also grow together to be amazing by the end of the year as well, especially when they take on the November teams defensive lines, the SECCG, and the playoff games.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
You can even see how much more confidence Tua has in running the offense compared to last season. It'll be interesting to see how he grows this year as a QB while other teams are putting a book together on him. Hopefully the offensive line will also grow together to be amazing by the end of the year as well, especially when they take on the November teams defensive lines, the SECCG, and the playoff games.
What I love , maybe most, about Tua is the book is already written on him.
Watch all the tells of the formation, stick every receiver like white on rice, cover the relief valve, contain him in the pocket, collapsing it in on him, if/when he escapes rotate coverage to make sure he can't get too far up field. I mean it is all the basics that you teach a defense, he does not do one thing glaringly better than others, he will make you pay with the slightest slip up. In short, I am not sure any amount of film is going to help slow him down with the supporting cast around him.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
What I love , maybe most, about Tua is the book is already written on him.
Watch all the tells of the formation, stick every receiver like white on rice, cover the relief valve, contain him in the pocket, collapsing it in on him, if/when he escapes rotate coverage to make sure he can't get too far up field. I mean it is all the basics that you teach a defense, he does not do one thing glaringly better than others, he will make you pay with the slightest slip up. In short, I am not sure any amount of film is going to help slow him down with the supporting cast around him.
If you take all of that film and wrap him in it, that might slow him down.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Only thing that scares me is (2nd play) the rpo's and the olinemen down field. On the 2nd play broken down, 71 Piersbacher is 4 yards down field when tua threw the pass. Other than that, those are awesome!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Only thing that scares me is (2nd play) the rpo's and the olinemen down field. On the 2nd play broken down, 71 Piersbacher is 4 yards down field when tua threw the pass. Other than that, those are awesome!
But everybody does it, especially Auburn. You can bet that they’ll finally change the rule if we do it as much as AU. Everyone can exploit a rule but, when Bama exploits one, it gets changed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Somewhere out there Calvin Ridley is ....ed off watching Tua throw like that. He would have had atleast 1500 yards with Tua

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not. Tua distributes the ball, so Calvin wouldn’t have the same percentage of receptions he had the last two seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I know what RollinTider meant, but I think Calvin is probably very happy with where he ended up.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would take the RPO stuff and shove it to the side. If I am a DC, I force Tua to keep the ball on runs if for nothing more than getting more hits on him that might make him gimpy. Way too much depth at WR, RB, and TE to just run prostyle offensive set and minimize injury to QBs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would take the RPO stuff and shove it to the side. If I am a DC, I force Tua to keep the ball on runs if for nothing more than getting more hits on him that might make him gimpy. Way too much depth at WR, RB, and TE to just run prostyle offensive set and minimize injury to QBs.

There are two examples of Tua keeping the ball during a RPO and throwing rockets in the link. It's not as simple as making him keep the ball to run the ball since it's not a traditional option play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nah, he'll be the starter for the Bengals in 2020, or another team that needs a great QB.
I know we are getting ahead of ourselves, but I can't imagine the teams that are going to line up to get a shot at him in the draft. I say this if nothing changes and he doesn't get any better than right now. What if he shows improvement??? It's crazy to think about!

I have a love/hate thing for the RPO. On one hand, I'd love to just see Tua in the shotgun with an empty backfield just picking apart defensive secondaries. But, with his incredible vision and quick decision making he runs the RPO like it's supposed to be run so I figure it will stay in our offensive scheme. I just hope the staff works with him to get him to take less shots in the open field. Slide Tua, slide!!!

Tidesq

1st Team
Dec 30, 2006
Enterprise, AL
The RPO where he pulled the ball and hit Smith on the slant for 20 plus was a thing of beauty. The split second decision he made after watching the OLB crash in to stop the run is unbelievable.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.