Should Saban protect Jalen's redshirt?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I’m starting to wonder if he’ll change positions. He could potentially see the field as a motion TE, H-back in the red zone type player. If he can contribute, score some TDs, and then have two years to grow and develop into that role he could find a place at the next level.
Problem is. Who does he take snaps from? We are loaded at RB, TE and WR. I think his better position would be in secondary.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think as best as possible I think both sides should try to work together to keep their respective goals intact. I would essentially view Jalen as the same as an injured player right now. Next man up gets the reps to fill in.

So, if I was Jalen I would stay on the team continue to practice and take coaching from Enos, toy around with other position practice, and graduate leaving all transfer options available. Make myself fully available for the team in the last 3 games of the season (aka coming back from an injury) or some other agreed upon schedule with coach. Then re-evaluate my options in the offseason.

Meanwhile over the next 10 games, we give all backup reps to Mac and he goes in the event of injury to Tua. If it's a significant injury then Jalen can then reconsider his options at that time or Saban can override and play him for the good of the team and his scholarship if its preferred over Mac.

I don't see how anybody loses in this plan. Even Mac gets more reps and more PT.

Jalen has to know he won't have the opportunity to improve if he transfers. While he may play/start, He will be a mercenary to his new team who will use him for his current strengths with no incentive to develop him professionally. There is more than enough evidence that QB transfers from Bama don't work out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I saw a "play it safe" Jalen on Saturday. He knew he was behind the 8 ball when he went in. It looked (to me) like he's already redshirted in his mind.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I’m starting to wonder if he’ll change positions. He could potentially see the field as a motion TE, H-back in the red zone type player. If he can contribute, score some TDs, and then have two years to grow and develop into that role he could find a place at the next level.
I've heard more than one person suggest safety. He just doesn't strike me as having the speed necessary to play safety. But maybe I'm just a poor judge

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I saw a "play it safe" Jalen on Saturday. He knew he was behind the 8 ball when he went in. It looked (to me) like he's already redshirted in his mind.
I wanted to ask. Does this even look like the guy who started two years ago at USC and ultimately won the SEC Offensive Player of the Year? Looking back at the last several games we have seen him, including the spring game, one has cause to ask what is going on in his head to appear to digress in this way. One thing seems clear... It can't go forward like this!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Th unOfficial Assistant (formerly John Doe) was out with his Tua-Jalen review after traveling to Orlando over the weekend. I hope his language allows posting here. I do not recall expletives in the video.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the only "sure" thing is Jalen will graduate from Alabama in December after he gets his 15 credits this semester. That's the only thing I think anybody can be sure of.

Crazy, outside of the box---Jalen could be 100% committed to the team, play in every game this year as needed, graduate, and find a power 5 school that already has a top tier quarterback in line for next year. Next year, he could learn the new system, play in 4 games as a backup, and red shirt next year. Then be in line to start in his final season at the new school.
IMO, if Jalen is going to use the new redshirt rule it will be this year. I don't see him "wasting" a year of eligibility in a backup role at Alabama this year to go somewhere else next year and sit or use the 4 game rule there to only be able to play one more year his redshirt SR. year.

I think he thinks he's good enough to play the position in college and maybe the NFL. I also think he's mistaken about an NFL career and maybe daddy Hurts is to blame for that. I do think he might could play QB in the right system that doesn't depend on reading complex downfield routes. But he's not going to get to the NFL.

So, IMO, he'll either not play in more than four games this year OR he'll leave the team and get his degree and then he'll go elsewhere and play 2 years in another system.

How this will be decided is, as CNS said, an "internal decision."

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Breaks it down very well. When Jalen doesn't even see Najee streaking down the middle for an easy TD...ouch...RTR!!!
Th unOfficial Assistant (formerly John Doe) was out with his Tua-Jalen review after traveling to Orlando over the weekend. I hope his language allows posting here. I do not recall expletives in the video.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think the only "sure" thing is Jalen will graduate from Alabama in December after he gets his 15 credits this semester. That's the only thing I think anybody can be sure of.

IMO, if Jalen is going to use the new redshirt rule it will be this year. I don't see him "wasting" a year of eligibility in a backup role at Alabama this year to go somewhere else next year and sit or use the 4 game rule there to only be able to play one more year his redshirt SR. year.

I think he thinks he's good enough to play the position in college and maybe the NFL. I also think he's mistaken about an NFL career and maybe daddy Hurts is to blame for that. I do think he might could play QB in the right system that doesn't depend on reading complex downfield routes. But he's not going to get to the NFL.

So, IMO, he'll either not play in more than four games this year OR he'll leave the team and get his degree and then he'll go elsewhere and play 2 years in another system.

How this will be decided is, as CNS said, an "internal decision."
i'm not X's and O's guru, but after watching the youtube video's and reading breakdowns from people who really know the position, i don't think Hurts has any chance of playing QB in the pros...like zero chance.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
You certainly would like an experience QB behind Tua, but I just don't see Jalen staying with the team as a backup QB beyond four games..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
If he goes somewhere, I'm sure Jalen and the program would like to have the option of him for two more years.
I don't think it is up to Saban to worry about what Jalen or another program would like. Saban's job is to prepare Bama to play as well as we can play each week. Jalen is a member of the team and should be worried about what he can do to help the team win. If he decides he no longer wants to be a member of the team, that will be up to him. He can leave before playing in five games if he chooses to do so, but I don't think Saban should give any thoughts about it whatsoever.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think it is up to Saban to worry about what Jalen or another program would like. Saban's job is to prepare Bama to play as well as we can play each week. Jalen is a member of the team and should be worried about what he can do to help the team win. If he decides he no longer wants to be a member of the team, that will be up to him. He can leave before playing in five games if he chooses to do so, but I don't think Saban should give any thoughts about it whatsoever.
I just don't agree with this. It seems a cold way to look at the world. Jalen has been our starter for 2 years and now that we found something better we aren't going to help him move on at all? Idk not a fan of that mentality. We aren't supposed to be a professional sports program it's supposed to be more and better than that IMO.

Especially if Jalen were to agree not to transfer to an SEC school or a school we play within the next 2 years.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If Jalen, his dad, or coach Saban has determined already that Jalen will leave at the end of this year then I am all for him playing in at least 5 games THIS YEAR and not a down more or less.

Jalen insists he was never going to leave THIS YEAR and I believe him 100%. There was nothing stated about after he graduates - which is totally his right to do so if he chooses. That said, there should be absolutely no contract or understanding, implicit or explicit, that says we have to provide him an extra year of playing time. JMHO.

I want him to stay and earn the job back. That would be amazing and the best outcome for Bama because it probably would mean he would have turned into a world-class QB.

I hate the new-ish transfer rules.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
What?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My take is based on the hypothetical of "protecting his redshirt."

if he's going to leave and that has been determined already, then he has given up on this team (just like the guy he replaced 2 years ago!). I don't want us to give him an extra year of playing time for having done so.

I don't think this (determined to leave already) is the case at all. I think he pushed Tua hard in the fall and from most accounts has improved in all areas. Now, if he feels he was treated unfairly, then by all means, he should transfer. However, unless we (i.e. Coach Saban) acknowledge he was mistreated unfairly, then I fail to see how we are under any obligation (morally, ethically, emotionally, rationally, etc) to protect his redshirt. Call me heartless if you like but that's my take on the hypothetical.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I just don't agree with this. It seems a cold way to look at the world. Jalen has been our starter for 2 years and now that we found something better we aren't going to help him move on at all? Idk not a fan of that mentality. We aren't supposed to be a professional sports program it's supposed to be more and better than that IMO.

Especially if Jalen were to agree not to transfer to an SEC school or a school we play within the next 2 years.
I don't see how it is cold or that I don't want to help him. HE chose to stay at Alabama; therefore, I assume he wants to be a part of the team and help the team win. That is all that Saban should be concerned about. If HE chooses to leave to preserve an extra year of eligibility, that is HIS decision. HE can't have his cake and eat it too. That is a big problem with many folks today, in my opinion. They want to have every possible option available to them without any accountability or consequences. I'm like Saban in that I still think Jalen is a very good player who can help us win. However, if HE decides that he wants to go help another university's team, that is on HIM. I will wish him nothing but the best and thank him for all of his hard work at the University of Alabama. If HE chooses to remain at UA, I will be happy and cheer for him like always. This is how I feel about all of the players and coaches. When it seemed like every year Saban was flirting with going to Texas or wherever, I said the same thing about him. I'm glad he decided to stay, obviously. If he had left, though, I would have thanked him for what he did at UA and cheered for the next coach.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.