Sen. Ben Sasse unloads on Congress at Kavanaugh hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Isn't Kavanaugh about as middle of the road pick as possible these days? I mean say Jeb or Kasich had won in 2016, would the outrage over the pick be the same?
I think the outrage is more related to the handling of Garland, though I'm sure Trump being president makes it worse (with fairly good reason).
Can we agree on term limits?
I'm absolutely on board with term limits for Supreme Court Justices

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
More detail on the allegation. This seems much more reasonable than the tweet last night.

LINK

On Thursday, Senate Democrats disclosed that they had referred a complaint regarding President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the F.B.I. for investigation. The complaint came from a woman who accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct when they were both in high school, more than thirty years ago.

The woman, who has asked not to be identified, first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Trump nominated Kavanaugh. The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. Although the alleged incident took place decades ago and the three individuals involved were minors, the woman said that the memory had been a source of ongoing distress for her, and that she had sought psychological treatment as a result.

In a statement, Kavanaugh said, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”

Kavanaugh’s classmate said of the woman’s allegation, “I have no recollection of that.”

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Indeed.

That said, and NOT to make light of it, but this is a big bag of nothing.
I don't think it's nothing, but I agree that Republicans won't care that he allegedly held down a woman, forced himself on her, covered her mouth to muffle her screams, and turned up the music so no one else could hear what he was doing to her. In the past, we would likely pause and investigate such allegations to prevent an attempted rapist from receiving a lifetime appointment to the highest court. But in these times where the GOP is frothing for a victory to help their election chances, the long-term good of the country will almost certainly take a back seat to near-term political wins.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't think it's nothing, but I agree that Republicans won't care that he allegedly held down a woman, forced himself on her, covered her mouth to muffle her screams, and turned up the music so no one else could hear what he was doing to her. In the past, we would likely pause and investigate such allegations to prevent an attempted rapist from receiving a lifetime appointment to the highest court. But in these times where the GOP is frothing for a victory to help their election chances, the long-term good of the country will almost certainly take a back seat to near-term political wins.
Yah, I'm not ready to assume that's something that would be summarily dismissed by the GOP (though they did elect Trump, so...) - but I think a 35-ish year old case of he-said/she-said with literally no proof is a big bag of nothing no matter who we're talking about.

I mean, what's to investigate? They've spoken to all three - she claims it happened, the two men say it didn't. There's no criminal record as it was never reported, etc. Not suggesting they're innocent nor am I suggesting she's lying - I'm simply saying there's no proof unless it happened and one of the two men decides to own it.

IOW, big bag of nothing.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I really don't want to start a what-about-ism back and forth but I really can't let that stand. How about physical assault and rape ala Bill Clinton? The victims in that case were attacked and the GOP was portrayed as being prudes for caring then.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Yah, I'm not ready to assume that's something that would be summarily dismissed by the GOP (though they did elect Trump, so...) - but I think a 35-ish year old case of he-said/she-said with literally no proof is a big bag of nothing no matter who we're talking about.

I mean, what's to investigate? They've spoken to all three - she claims it happened, the two men say it didn't. There's no criminal record as it was never reported, etc. Not suggesting they're innocent nor am I suggesting she's lying - I'm simply saying there's no proof unless it happened and one of the two men decides to own it.

IOW, big bag of nothing.
She said she's seen therapists, so there is possible corroboration from that side. But I basically agree. If this were low-stakes, the GOP might shelf him to avoid bad headlines. No chance of that for SCOTUS.

On the other hand, rape is often habitual. There may be others.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I really don't want to start a what-about-ism back and forth but I really can't let that stand. How about physical assault and rape ala Bill Clinton? The victims in that case were attacked and the GOP was portrayed as being prudes for caring then.
Lordy, my last recollection of Bill Clinton was elementary school. You guys really enjoy invoking these 20-year-old distractions when someone starts to talk about the #MeToo movement of 2018.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
She said she's seen therapists, so there is possible corroboration from that side. But I basically agree. If this were low-stakes, the GOP might shelf him to avoid bad headlines. No chance of that for SCOTUS.
They elected Trump - at this point, I'm not holding out hope for any sort of moral standard.

On the other hand, rape is often habitual. There may be others.
That's what I was thinking - instead of sending this to the FBI (what a dramatic waste of time) the Dems should put the word out to see if anyone else has a similar story.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
They elected Trump - at this point, I'm not holding out hope for any sort of moral standard.

That's what I was thinking - instead of sending this to the FBI (what a dramatic waste of time) the Dems should put the word out to see if anyone else has a similar story.
Feinstein's handling of this was downright stupid. But, like I said, now that Farrow is involved I would be very concerned. Guy is the now most feared journalist of this generation, and for good reason.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I think the outrage is more related to the handling of Garland, though I'm sure Trump being president makes it worse (with fairly good reason).

I'm absolutely on board with term limits for Supreme Court Justices
Agreed on term limits. I would extend it to all politicians who currently don’t have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Lordy, my last recollection of Bill Clinton was elementary school. You guys really enjoy invoking these 20-year-old distractions when someone starts to talk about the #MeToo movement of 2018.
I am not quite that young but my last recollections was seeing him and Hilary on Channel One news @ school @ 8:30a each morning. You may or may not remember that [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.