Sen. Ben Sasse unloads on Congress at Kavanaugh hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Limited moral outrage, got it.
How can you possibly assail Clinton's sexual proclivities while in the same breath failing to condemn Warren G. Harding fathering an illegitimate child while in public office? Must be their party affiliations and your limited moral outrage.

You're right, this is fun.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
How can you possibly assail Clinton's sexual proclivities while in the same breath failing to condemn Warren G. Harding fathering an illegitimate child while in public office? Must be their party affiliations and your limited moral outrage.

we need to bring back post of the month

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Don’t forget all the illegitimate children of Thomas Jefferson. At least we don’t have heads of state intermarrying each other like Europe.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
California professor, writer of confidential Brett Kavanaugh letter, speaks out about her allegation of sexual assault

Earlier this summer, Christine Blasey Ford wrote a confidential letter to a senior Democratic lawmaker alleging that Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her more than three decades ago... Now, Ford has decided that if her story is going to be told, she wants to be the one to tell it.

Speaking publicly for the first time, Ford said that one summer in the early 1980s, Kavanaugh and a friend — both “stumbling drunk,” Ford alleges — corralled her into a bedroom during a gathering of teenagers at a house in Montgomery County.

While his friend watched, she said, Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed on her back and groped her over her clothes, grinding his body against hers and clumsily attempting to pull off her one-piece bathing suit and the clothing she wore over it. When she tried to scream, she said, he put his hand over her mouth.

“I thought he might inadvertently kill me,” said Ford, now a 51-year-old research psychologist in northern California. “He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing.”

Ford said she was able to escape when Kavanaugh’s friend and classmate at Georgetown Preparatory School, Mark Judge, jumped on top of them, sending all three tumbling. She said she ran from the room, briefly locked herself in a bathroom and then fled the house.

Ford said she told no one of the incident in any detail until 2012, when she was in couples therapy with her husband. The therapist’s notes, portions of which were provided by Ford and reviewed by The Washington Post, do not mention Kavanaugh’s name but say she reported that she was attacked by students “from an elitist boys’ school” who went on to become “highly respected and high-ranking members of society in Washington.” The notes say four boys were involved, a discrepancy Ford says was an error on the therapist’s part. Ford said there were four boys at the party but only two in the room.

Notes from an individual therapy session the following year, when she was being treated for what she says have been long-term effects of the incident, show Ford described a “rape attempt” in her late teens.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1041383564615602177

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Regarding the four points in the tweet in the post above:
1. Okay, so we have a person's name.
2. Anybody can accuse anyone else of anything.
3. The therapist's notes never names the accused. It doesn't corroborate anything against Judge Kavanaugh. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article218496410.html
4. Even if this is true, polygraph tests are unreliable (and even inadmissible in many courts including the District of Columbia). Too many false positive and false negative results to be believed. https://www.quora.com/Why-are-lie-detector-results-not-permissible-in-American-courts

The timing of this is more than suspect. Sen. Feinstein is said to have had a letter about this since July. Well before the hearings. This is akin to a prosecutor holding onto a document throughout a trial, choosing not to share it with the defense or the judge through all witness testimonies and cross-examinations, then purposefully throwing it at the jury as they are about to deliberate. Even if the document is completely true, there should and would likely be severe consequences from the judge for the prosecuter's actions. That is exactly what the lawyers in Washington are trying to do with this. They know it's unjust, but they also know that constituents are so easily swayed by recent gossip that they are willing to do things like that to keep or gain power.

Innocent until proven guilty....unless the accused holds different political views than me. Then guilty until proven innocent. Kavanaugh denies it. So the burden of proof falls on Dr. Ford. So far, I have seen no proof. You want to hear more from her? Sure, you may hear more, but the Democrats have purposefully put themselves in this time crunch before the October Supreme Court sessions (or, much more important for them, the November elections). It was pretty clear that Kavanaugh was headed for confirmation. So I would like to hear ANY Democrat say that if these allegations turn out to be false and there is no proof of Judge Kavanaugh's wrongdoing, that they will personally guarantee his approval, even if after the next election. It will never happen. Think about why.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
It will never happen. Think about why.
Not disagreeing with all of your post but I imagine it wouldn’t happen because even without that he’s still not a good candidate.

I’d also point out the Republicans knew about this and prepared for it well ahead of the letter being publicized. So either they found out early about the letter or Kavanaugh warned them it could come up which would lend it pretty damning credence.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Regarding the four points in the tweet in the post above:
1. Okay, so we have a person's name.
2. Anybody can accuse anyone else of anything.
3. The therapist's notes never names the accused. It doesn't corroborate anything against Judge Kavanaugh. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article218496410.html
4. Even if this is true, polygraph tests are unreliable (and even inadmissible in many courts including the District of Columbia). Too many false positive and false negative results to be believed. https://www.quora.com/Why-are-lie-detector-results-not-permissible-in-American-courts

The timing of this is more than suspect. Sen. Feinstein is said to have had a letter about this since July. Well before the hearings. This is akin to a prosecutor holding onto a document throughout a trial, choosing not to share it with the defense or the judge through all witness testimonies and cross-examinations, then purposefully throwing it at the jury as they are about to deliberate. Even if the document is completely true, there should and would likely be severe consequences from the judge for the prosecuter's actions. That is exactly what the lawyers in Washington are trying to do with this. They know it's unjust, but they also know that constituents are so easily swayed by recent gossip that they are willing to do things like that to keep or gain power.

Innocent until proven guilty....unless the accused holds different political views than me. Then guilty until proven innocent. Kavanaugh denies it. So the burden of proof falls on Dr. Ford. So far, I have seen no proof. You want to hear more from her? Sure, you may hear more, but the Democrats have purposefully put themselves in this time crunch before the October Supreme Court sessions (or, much more important for them, the November elections). It was pretty clear that Kavanaugh was headed for confirmation. So I would like to hear ANY Democrat say that if these allegations turn out to be false and there is no proof of Judge Kavanaugh's wrongdoing, that they will personally guarantee his approval, even if after the next election. It will never happen. Think about why.
A lot about this is fishy, from Feinstein keeping the letter secret to Grassley magically coming up with a bunch of women to vouch for Kavanaugh, to the committee chair refusing to allow any examination of Kavanaugh's views.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
If you guys haven't noticed, I get very passionate when people get accused of things under nefarious circumstances. It has happened to me, and I despise it. An accused person of any political view, race, gender, etc should absolutely be treated fairly until proven guilty.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
If you guys haven't noticed, I get very passionate when people get accused of things under nefarious circumstances. It has happened to me, and I despise it. An accused person of any political view, race, gender, etc should absolutely be treated fairly until proven guilty.
agree, thats why we need hearings to determine how to proceed. Slow the process, dig in and see what the deal is. It's that fairest way togo

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I agree with those who say the timing of the release is suspect. But if this had been dropped in July they go to the next person on the list and we still have a full Senate vote before the elections.

I didn’t follow the hearings very closely so I really don’t have an opinion either way about his competence to sit on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I agree with those who say the timing of the release is suspect. But if this had been dropped in July they go to the next person on the list and we still have a full Senate vote before the elections.

I didn’t follow the hearings very closely so I really don’t have an opinion either way about his competence to sit on the court.

They can still do that. They have 45 days. In fact, they could probably yank his nomination and force through someone even more conservative, because votes like that after a scandal are more likely to pass. I would argue it's the smart move.

But they'll probably drag this out.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

the timing is suspect but

From what we know of the accuser, she didn't want this to go public but she also didn't want to see (what she see's as) her attacker end up on the supreme court so she sent the letter "in case"

I think she thought that everything else we've seen. His lying on Roe, his purjering himself to Congress, the hundreds of thousands of documents the GOP refuses to release and all his other problems would keep him off the bench when that didn't happen the media got wind of the "in case" letter.

Bottom line this is a garbage candidate the only reason Kavanaugh got the nod is that he has signaled that he believes a sitting President to be above the law and since the GOP is all in, in that regard they are jamming him through. If they had sense they would have told Trump no but they are too spineless to do anything as they are terrified to be called out in one of his tantrums so they are rushing this poorly vetted joke through which made this woman have to use her "in case"

I get why it happened when it did.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Did she really think the Republicans would block this without something really bad coming out? Collins seemed to be leaning in favor and I haven’t heard from Murkowski. Flake and Corker don’t seem capable of growing a pair even if they aren’t worried about an election.

Unless some other woman comes forward, I don’t think this hurts him. Thomas did some creepy stuff as an adult and he still passed. This will be brushed off as a youthful indiscretion and he is approved.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Did she really think the Republicans would block this without something really bad coming out? Collins seemed to be leaning in favor and I haven’t heard from Murkowski. Flake and Corker don’t seem capable of growing a pair even if they aren’t worried about an election.

Unless some other woman comes forward, I don’t think this hurts him. Thomas did some creepy stuff as an adult and he still passed. This will be brushed off as a youthful indiscretion and he is approved.

Murkowski becomes third GOP senator to suggest delaying Kavanaugh vote after sexual assault accusation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.