Sen. Ben Sasse unloads on Congress at Kavanaugh hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Can't access what you posted here at work. Can you provide a summary?
He basically says that congress has abdicated their responsibility because it's easier to maintain their elected positions when they can't be blamed for anything, and that the politicizing of the judicial branch is a symptom of that abdication.

It's very well stated and i can't find fault t in anything he says. He clearly outlines the massive faults we see over and over in congress.

Worth the watch when you get home, imo.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Would have loved him had he done this back when Merrick Garland was nominated. Now it just falls flat.

Getting tired of Sasse and Flake’s mealy mouthed horse hockey. I don’t give two craps about “strongly worded statements.” Rein Trump in.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Would have loved him it had he done this back when Merrick Garland was nominated. Now it just falls flat.

Getting tired of Sasse and Flake’s mealy mouthed horse hockey. I don’t give two craps about “strongly worded statements.” Rein Trump in.
right? Sasse is a joke. I often like what he says, too bad he never actually does anything

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Hard to find fault in anything said here, regardless as to what one thinks of Kavanaugh...

Yes Sasse's glib verbal pablum sounded reasonable to me until he made the leap of faith to declare Kavanaugh an impartial jurist or words to that affect. Then I looked at an analysis by the group Public Citizen and found Sasse's words to be and effort to wallpaper over his intent to vote for a Justice who will basically be a representative of corporate interest!

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I agree with Sasse. I did not like it when Merrick Garland did not get a hearing, and those around me at that time would bear witness to my saying so. It is not the Senate's job to accept or deny the nominee based on the majority's political affiliation. This is a sad time we live in. All about grandstanding and preparing for the next election.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good stuff.

I posted this one the other day in a different forum that I thought also spelled out some things worth noting. Not nearly as comprehensive as the Sasse segment, but still on point:

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I agree with Sasse. I did not like it when Merrick Garland did not get a hearing, and those around me at that time would bear witness to my saying so. It is not the Senate's job to accept or deny the nominee based on the majority's political affiliation. This is a sad time we live in. All about grandstanding and preparing for the next election.
I’m trying to think of that Robert guy from the 80s...Bork or something. Unfortunately the precedent is set and doesn’t appear to be getting any better. If only judges could be confirmed based on their faithfulness to what the founders wrote in the constitution. Also it’s not a living document but can be amended, genius setup really.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Corey Booker just released confidential emails the GOP didn't want the public to know about. Kavanaugh's hearing resumes presently.

Leaked Documents From Kavanaugh’s Time in White House Discuss Abortion and Affirmative Action

As a White House lawyer in the Bush administration, Judge Brett Kavanaugh challenged the accuracy of deeming the Supreme Court’s landmark Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision to be “settled law of the land,” according to a secret email obtained by The New York Times...

Judge Kavanaugh was considering a draft opinion piece that supporters of one of Mr. Bush’s conservative appeals court nominees hoped they could persuade anti-abortion women to submit under their names. It stated that “it is widely accepted by legal scholars across the board that Roe v. Wade and its progeny are the settled law of the land.”

Judge Kavanaugh proposed deleting that line, writing: “I am not sure that all legal scholars refer to Roe as the settled law of the land at the Supreme Court level since Court can always overrule its precedent, and three current Justices on the Court would do so.”
Other documents provided to The Times included a document showing that in September 2001, after the terrorist attacks, Judge Kavanaugh engaged with a Justice Department lawyer about questions of warrantless surveillance at the time that lawyer wrote a memo an inspector general report later portrayed as the precursor to the Bush administration’s warrantless surveillance program.

On Wednesday, Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, seemed to allude to the existence of such an email, grilling Judge Kavanaugh about whether his testimony at his May 2006 appeals court hearing that he had not seen or heard anything about the Bush administration’s warrantless surveillance program before its existence leaked the previous December was accurate.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Corey Booker just released confidential emails the GOP didn't want the public to know about. Kavanaugh's hearing resumes presently.

Leaked Documents From Kavanaugh’s Time in White House Discuss Abortion and Affirmative Action
Grassley goes forward running the sausage making machine attempting to pass off vast over generalizations favorable to Kavanaugh as truth while pretending to be run a free and open hearing. This while the absolute intent is to appoint a right wing jurist to the court who will represent a threat to the rule of law and the public interest over the next generation and beyond.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Grassley goes forward running the sausage making machine attempting to pass off vast over generalizations favorable to Kavanaugh as truth while pretending to be run a free and open hearing. This while the absolute intent is to appoint a right wing jurist to the court who will represent a threat to the rule of law and the public interest over the next generation and beyond.
The crisis isn’t Trump. It’s his Republican enablers.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
too bad hillary made people vote for him by calling deplorable people deplorable.
in my opinion this was one of her largest campaign mistakes

not in saying it, she was absolutely right. Her mistake was not owning it. Her backtrack made her look weak and it made the comment itself look like political nothing talk rather than a pointed critique. I wanted her to double down. Point to the stuff on r/the_donald etc... I think it would have resonated with fence sitters showing Trump's base for the massive collection of evil scumbags we all generally accept that they are today

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
in my opinion this was one of her largest campaign mistakes

not in saying it, she was absolutely right. Her mistake was not owning it. Her backtrack made her look weak and it made the comment itself look like political nothing talk rather than a pointed critique. I wanted her to double down. Point to the stuff on r/the_donald etc... I think it would have resonated with fence sitters showing Trump's base for the massive collection of evil scumbags we all generally accept that they are today
i did my best to double down on it for her. alas, it didn't work

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Booker is just an attention whore. I read the emails and they prove Kavanaugh is not a racist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if they are from Booker or not but what I see clearly in some of the released emails is that Kavanaugh is both clearly anti Roe v Wade and he also is lying when he says that he will treat Roe as settled law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.