JessN: Arkansas State Preview: Bama tries to avoid Week 2 blues against high-flying Red Wolv

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Arkansas State Preview: Bama tries to avoid Week 2 blues against high-flying Red Wolves
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 6th, 2018 12:18 AM

If one were to take a look at the respective stat sheets for Alabama and Arkansas State after the first week of the season, it might be enough to send Bama fans running for the nearest pill bottle full of proton pump inhibitors.

Arkansas State comes into this game the owner of the No. 1 passing offense in all of FBS. The Red Wolves have college football's top tier's No. 5 total offense, and is tied for 1[SUP]st[/SUP] nationally in fourth-down efficiency, red zone efficiency and fourth-down defense.

Read More Here

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Again, nice write-up Jess. My main concern is with injuries.

It seems injuries happen more often against the smaller schools. I know Louisville tried to take some cheap shots against BAMA, but hopefully Arkansas Sate will behave and also tackle the right way.

I will be at this game and look forward to the game/atmosphere/win!

arkstfan

Sep 5, 2018
Just to add a few thoughts.

AState does run the ball a decent amount usually 47% to 50% of plays from scrimmage will be run plays however AState appears to take the Baylor approach to running between the tackles. That is there isn't really a called hole on many running plays, the linemen just block and the RB is to read and find a hole. It hasn't been effective yet the staff sticks with it generally. AState generally sticks with man-on-man and zone blocking, reaches, slides, traps, and drives just don't seem to exist and the results on the ground show it.

The jet sweep has disappeared from the game day calls. Wouldn't matter against a fast defense like Bama but it is puzzling.

Hansen has the makings of a good QB but his ball security has been lacking and his motion is bit unconventional so he's prone to float a ball, thus the ball security issues.

I like the receiving corps even without Green who is lost for the year. Edwards is pretty much going to drop one he shouldn't each game. Adams a true soph has a lot of potential. He was a recruiting steal because he spent his summers playing AAU basketball and football was his second sport until he signed with AState. McInnis is going to play pro. If he doesn't latch on in the NFL, he will be in the CFL if he wants because he's from Canada and basically half the roster has to be Canadians. He's going to get paid to play football, question is whether he is going to make a good living or crazy money.

The guy on the team who is probably the safest pick to make the NFL is punter Cody Grace, he's an Australian and I wouldn't be shocked if he declares this year like fellow Aussie Michael Dickson of Texas now with the Seahawks.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
One again, thanks for the write-up Jess. Your work on all of our opponents is much appreciated. While I don't expect this one to be close as was stated previously, we do sometime letdown in the 2nd game and we for sure hope for no injuries...

Tucker13

Feb 13, 2017
Another solid review. Ark State offers a good passing attack with tall receivers that should help our secondary season quicker when we start facing stronger SEC competition. Here's hoping all can play without injury.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Should help prep us for Ole Sis. (Big receivers have a way of drawing the defense into penalties.)
Coach Saban will be beside himself if last weeks problems don't show marked improvement.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think Tua prevents this from being a let down game. I think he will be "all in" which should eliminate the 2/15 in 3rd down conversion type stuff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.