Top 10 Western movies

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I just watched "No Name on the Bullett" -- starring Audie Murphy. I recommend highly...very philosophical. A contract killer, Audie Murphy, comes to a town and no one knows who he is there to kill. The town goes into panic with the leaders banding together and then going against each other...all because he is there. Charles Drake plays the town doctor who has a lot of give and take with AM. This is now in my top 10 Westerns...easily. (Filmed in 1959...saw it on Grit!)

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I just watched "No Name on the Bullett" -- starring Audie Murphy. I recommend highly...very philosophical. A contract killer, Audie Murphy, comes to a town and no one knows who he is there to kill. The town goes into panic with the leaders banding together and then going against each other...all because he is there. Charles Drake plays the town doctor who has a lot of give and take with AM. This is now in my top 10 Westerns...easily. (Filmed in 1959...saw it on Grit!)
Padre....you may want to check out Audie Murphy and Barry Sullivan in "Seven Ways From Sunday", which shows up on "Grit" also from time to time.....

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Padreruf

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
There are great western movies and mini-series on the above lists I would always add the John Ford Calvary Trilogy to the list Rio Grande, Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. Not so socially acceptable today but excellent movies for the period. The Searchers would belong as well which was a highly watched movie in the 50's

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
1) Unforgiven
2) Silverado
3) 1000 Ways to Die in the West
4) Lonesome Dove (a mini series but just a great movie and an even better book)
5) Tombstone
6) Pale Rider
7) 3:10 to Yuma (the one with Christian Bale and Russel Crowe)
8) McClintock
9) War Wagon
10) True Grit (both the John Wayne/Kate Hepburn and the remake)

I'm really late to the party here, but I've always loved westerns. I'm sure I've left a few off, but every movie listed I'll watch if it's on.

Unforgiven is a clear number one.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
First off....this is a great thread! 👍

I would put the Clint Eastwood and John Wayne movies ahead of everything else. The spaghetti westerns at the very top. I don't think a better western was ever made than "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly".

As for "3:10 to Yuma" - both original and re-make are excellent. But my fav. is the original, just because of Van Heflin and Glenn Ford being in it.

I take into account the soundtracks as well.......

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
There are great western movies and mini-series on the above lists I would always add the John Ford Calvary Trilogy to the list Rio Grande, Fort Apache and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. Not so socially acceptable today but excellent movies for the period. The Searchers would belong as well which was a highly watched movie in the 50's
Years ago my daughter and I visited the four corners area near Monument Valley. We stayed in Kayenta, AZ for the night and happened to stay in the Holiday Inn Motel (at that time) where the entire crew including Ford and John Wayne stayed during the filming. That area is incredible to visit and I miss not getting back there over these years.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The Danish National Symphony has performed many of themes of these Westerns. Here is the theme of A Fist Full of Dollars. There are a number of other themes particularly the spaghetti westerns on their YouTube Channel.

• Heart
Reactions: Bazza

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
First off....this is a great thread! 👍

I would put the Clint Eastwood and John Wayne movies ahead of everything else. The spaghetti westerns at the very top. I don't think a better western was ever made than "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly".

As for "3:10 to Yuma" - both original and re-make are excellent. But my fav. is the original, just because of Van Heflin and Glenn Ford being in it.

I take into account the soundtracks as well.......

You can tell we are from the same generation! I agree on the spaghetti westerns...though GB&U is my favorite...Hang 'Em High deals with some key issues as well...

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
1) Unforgiven
2) Silverado
3) 1000 Ways to Die in the West
4) Lonesome Dove (a mini series but just a great movie and an even better book)
5) Tombstone
6) Pale Rider
7) 3:10 to Yuma (the one with Christian Bale and Russel Crowe)
8) McClintock
9) War Wagon
10) True Grit (both the John Wayne/Kate Hepburn and the remake)

I'm really late to the party here, but I've always loved westerns. I'm sure I've left a few off, but every movie listed I'll watch if it's on.

Unforgiven is a clear number one.
It's hard to beat The Outlaw Josey Wales. "Buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm".

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It’s been over 4 years, @dayhiker, but I agree 1000% on A River Runs Through It.

One of my all-time favorites of any genre. Some say that Brad Pitt broke out in Thelma and Louise. I disagree. His performance as the fabulously talented, but flawed, younger brother absolutely stole the show.

And the scene where they take Norman’s foppish future BIL fishing, and he got sunburned from head to toe (and everywhere in between) still brings a grin. For those who haven’t seen the movie, there’s a lot more to the storyline, and it’s great comic relief to a serious movie, but I don’t want to give away such an awesome side story.

I haven’t thought about this much, but as I’m typing here, I’m thinking that it might be on the short list if I knew I had only one movie left to see in my life.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
One other western released in 1966 that deserves to be considered is The Professionals with Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, Jack Palance and Claudia Cardinale. It is difficult to imagine a stronger cast who were superbly directed by Richard Brooks. Watched again last year and does not seem outdated 50 plus years later.

• Thank You

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
El Dorado would be on my list. John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, and James Caan are great together. Also, very impressive cinematography.

Jeremiah Johnson has been one of my favorites for 50 years.

On a lighter note, some of the wacky westerns that I have enjoyed over the years:

Evil Roy Slade (John Astin)
Texas Across the River (Dean Martin)
My Name is Trinity/Trinity is Still My Name (Terrence Hill)
Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks)
Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter (James Garner)

Reactions: Bazza and UAH

Rkharley98

Scout Team
Apr 24, 2018
Love this thread. Any western with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood is getting my attention. McClintock is an all time favorite. We’re showing our ages fellas. 😁

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Bazza and UAH

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
It’s been over 4 years, @dayhiker, but I agree 1000% on A River Runs Through It.

One of my all-time favorites of any genre. Some say that Brad Pitt broke out in Thelma and Louise. I disagree. His performance as the fabulously talented, but flawed, younger brother absolutely stole the show.

And the scene where they take Norman’s foppish future BIL fishing, and he got sunburned from head to toe (and everywhere in between) still brings a grin. For those who haven’t seen the movie, there’s a lot more to the storyline, and it’s great comic relief to a serious movie, but I don’t want to give away such an awesome side story.

I haven’t thought about this much, but as I’m typing here, I’m thinking that it might be on the short list if I knew I had only one movie left to see in my life.
As a minister with 2 sons we laughed till we cried at that movie...epic performance by Brad Pitt.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'll admit I'm pretty astonished at any list that doesn't include Unforgiven. Not judging, I just think it's a perfect film.
Yep. That one goes in the vault of all time classics. " That`s right. I`ve killed women and children. Killed just about everything that walks or crawls. " You KNOW it`s gonna be a bad day!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.