Fire devastates Brasil's oldest science museum.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
National Geographic

Major pieces of Brasil's scientific and cultural heritage went up in smoke on September 2, as a devastating fire ripped through much of Rio de Janeiro's Museu Nacional, or National Museum. Founded in 1818, the museum is Brasil's oldest scientific institution and one of the largest and most renowned museums in Latin America, amassing a collection of some 20 million scientifically and culturally invaluable artifacts.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
very sad. I hope they were good with sharing their data with other museums so some of it can be rebuilt

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They lost a bunch of recordings? They didn’t have them digitalized and saved on a computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They lost a bunch of recordings? They didn’t have them digitalized and saved on a computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I work for a state agency that has old recordings. Do you know how costly that is? We don't have nearly as much digitized as we would like because of the overall cost.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I work for a state agency that has old recordings. Do you know how costly that is? We don't have nearly as much digitized as we would like because of the overall cost.
Yah, think about digitizing the Library of Congress, then consider how many of the old tapes would have to be baked or treated as the backing or glue was failing, etc.

You would need an entire staff with specialized equipment and lots of time (all of which equals a ridiculous amount of money) to quantize data stores like this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.